Shipwreck 2016

Cmaltby

My aim yesterday was to troll lures for mackerel. I left the harbour in Mackay and started trolling as soon as I got out the harbour mouth I seen a 6m+ Boat With a 225 Suzuki beached on slade island and a couple of guys swimming between it and a rescue vessel. Rescue vessel was of a similar size I went to help them as I could get in and out with ease in the tinny. Long story short the guys were going full steam at night and ran up on the island. Excuse was the gps was out but surely your sounder would be going off its dial as the water is coming up. Guys were about 21 years old and talking to them the boat was uninsured, the transom was cracked and it was taking on water fast the outboard was destroyed from the rocks and had to be towed back by the friends boat I'm guessing they weren't vmr members. 

The photos were taken at the end when I got there tide was right out and it was fully beached 

Bloody kids 

image.png

image.jpeg

My first trip out in Dad's boat was out of Mackay Harbour - must have been a new moon as it was pitch black. We get out of the harbour and my brother gets it up and moving (he drives it ALOT harder than me .....) and I've gotta say I was a bit nervous about hitting something. About 30 minutes later, after we'd gone past Slade Island and were on our way (went 70km out) one of his mates drums up with 'man, we were out last week and I've never seen so many whales .........'.  Excellent, I thought, as we zoom along at the speed of lightning in pitch black conditions ....... :frantics:

Those two were VERY lucky to live to tell the tale .....

@kmcrosby78 I think the whales can hear and stay away from you when you're motoring along. I'd think you'd hear your sounder going absolutely mental when the depth was coming up. These guys were well and truly on the island on the western face of it no idea how they ended up there if they were headed into the harbour. 

12 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

@kmcrosby78 I think the whales can hear and stay away from you when you're motoring along. I'd think you'd hear your sounder going absolutely mental when the depth was coming up. These guys were well and truly on the island on the western face of it no idea how they ended up there if they were headed into the harbour. 

Not quite man. I've had mates hit whales out from the Tweed at night. At night the whales rest on the surface, thus they are not as alert as per normal.

I drive real slow offshore at night now during the colder months, and avoid if I can.

I bet it jumped out in front of them too... I agree with the breathalyzer comment...

@demarc totally agree re whales. They don't get out of the way, I avoid driving offshore at night during whale season unless there is a very bright moon. Running into a 30T+ anything is not going to go well for most boats...

@Cmaltby surely there is channel markers and all that they should be following...?

4 hours ago, deye223 said:

no sympathy here for them gps out phewy be wrong datum more like and any nut that relies solely on a gps deserves all the get .

Understand what you are saying, deye , but I can't help but feel sorry for them. We don't know the full story and whether the skipper had been drinking or what the go was with the gps. But I do remember some of the crazy things I did around that age and most of us probably could have killed ourselves and others on lots of occasions. The brain of a young adult male has not completely matured and they are designed to be fearless risk takers. It is all part of the survival of the species. Obviously they took unnecessary risks that night, but will they do it again? Hopefully not.

Agree @Old Scaley.  I was going along the rock wall inside the river mouth a few months back at night and routinely checking the sounder. At one stage after looking to my left to check the sounder, I looked back up and realised I was at the wrong angle and heading towards the rockwall. Think it was a section that juts out at an angle that I wasn't familiar with (I don't fish it very often).

So yep, things can go wrong at night time, hence one of the keys is to SLOW DOWN.

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Understand what you are saying, deye , but I can't help but feel sorry for them. We don't know the full story and whether the skipper had been drinking or what the go was with the gps. But I do remember some of the crazy things I did around that age and most of us probably could have killed ourselves and others on lots of occasions. The brain of a young adult male has not completely matured and they are designed to be fearless risk takers. It is all part of the survival of the species. Obviously they took unnecessary risks that night, but will they do it again? Hopefully not.

yep not until around 25 yo and the thing is we all know this now , this county has lost the

plot with every one making excuses for stupidity and blaming inanimate objects for there

own problems .

and even if they were insured the should not pay out on something like this any wonder

insurance prices are off the scale .

i think it's time for everyone to man up and except responsibility for there own actions .

7 hours ago, deye223 said:

even if they were insured the should not pay out on something like this any wonder

insurance prices are off the scale .

If they had insurance then of course someone in their situation should be paid out.  This is why people pay for insurance to cover themselves incase of an accident.  Does anyone have actual details or is everyone speculating about why these poor blokes have ended up on the rocks?

Archived