Need Advice Pls

MarkMitch

Hi. i just brought a 2nd hand Quintrex fishabout mkII with a 1977 35hp evinrude motor about a week ago from a previous owner. i was told that the boat didnt leak and the motor was in good running condition. I took it for a test the other day and noticed that the motor keeped poping out of drive and the boat had a pin hole leak underneath. I do not know how old the boat is as this is my 1st boat and i realy know jack all about boats. iv been told by professionals that the motor is to old and cant be fixed, but i found out the shaft lever had slipped forwed and wasn't allowing it to select the gear properly. i think that problem is solved (fingers crossed) haven't properly tested it yet only with the muffs on. i dont want to take it out because of the small leak it has, its a aluminum boat and im looking for a cheap way to fix the pin hole until i save to have it repaired properly pluss  when i took it out for the 1st time the 2 seat poles snapped so now im also looking to replace them but dont know where i can get the seats from that will fit the boat also i would like to repaint it later on after i have some use with it. im dying to just get out there and do some good fishing but at the moment i have lots of questions. i would post a pic of the boat but my image is to big

Is there any thing i can get for a fast repair for this pin whole?

where can i buy seats and seat poles from?

who sells boat paint?

cheers mark

clean out the pin hole to remove any corrosion around it and a small dob of araldite will fix the pin hole till you can get it welded. Wait a while to see if any other holes eventuate. before getting it welded up. Do not use silacone as it is difficult to weld over  as araldite  will just burn off.

Have a look at ( Aussie 123 on site name is Lance and top bloke)

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&p=page&page_id=about_us

or whitworths  and see if they have the seat posts that you are looking for.

I will leave to someone else to tell you how to resize your photos.

Cheers

Ray

6 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

clean out the pin hole to remove any corrosion around it and a small dob of araldite will fix the pin hole till you can get it welded. Wait a while to see if any other holes eventuate. before getting it welded up. Do not use silacone as it is difficult to weld over  as araldite  will just burn off.

Have a look at ( Aussie 123 on site name is Lance and top bloke)

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&p=page&page_id=about_us

or whitworths  and see if they have the seat posts that you are looking for.

I will leave to someone else to tell you how to resize your photos.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks. i didnt know araldite was water proof but ill give that a ago cheers, yea that what was in my mind is waiting to see what other leaks come about as it is a prity old boat it seems. now i know how to resize the photos ill post some pic's of it.

what can i clean the pin hole with?

cheers again

Here is some pics of my 1st runabout, dont mind the mess around it i was in the process of cleaning it out. AS you can see in the 1st pic the seats poles arnt that strong and i think they sit way to high and the boats paint is abit rough but will be painting it later on in life... any tips on getting better mods for it such as lights, seats and that will be more then welcome and is there a special place that i can get those numbers from thats on the side? i will have to remove all stickers of course when i repaint it  . hopping that i can learn alot from here...thanks again for the advice

test2.jpg

test 1.jpg

test3.jpg

you have a floor, so don't worry about a few pinholes, just get a bilge pump.  :) cheap as chips and not a bad safety item to have.

She looks a good honest rig. Try ebay for parts if you need them. Otherwise boat motor wreckers.

Wipe with a rag and a bit of Acetone to clean it up before applying araldite.

1 hour ago, Binder said:

you have a floor, so don't worry about a few pinholes, just get a bilge pump.  :) cheap as chips and not a bad safety item to have.

She looks a good honest rig. Try ebay for parts if you need them. Otherwise boat motor wreckers.

Wipe with a rag and a bit of Acetone to clean it up before applying araldite.

cheer, i will gab the acetone asap and i will look into getting a bilge pump, yea i like her tho the mrs wants to call it Nemo 

Pin holes in the bottom of a boat is often a bad sign of electrolysis.

You should remove the floor and flotation and clean out anything under there.

Sinkers and brass swivels are particularly bad for aluminium corrosion.

Then you can clean up any areas that have corrosion and stop the leaks with something like 24 hour araldite or Kneadit.

Clean the area to be patched with a stainless wire brush and a solvent like acetone or thinners before plugging the holes.

They are a great old boat and it will serve you well with a bit of tlc.

That neadit is good stuff, but your unlikley to be in need of a fast repair. Also takes overnight to setup really hard.

When I was young and broke, had half a radiator repaired with it where a little excessive stopping, when I did a dukes of hazard off a creek bank, encouraged the engine fan to give the radiator a kiss.

5 minute areldite for your pin hole/s will do the job.

2 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Pin holes in the bottom of a boat is often a bad sign of electrolysis.

You should remove the floor and flotation and clean out anything under there.

Sinkers and brass swivels are particularly bad for aluminium corrosion.

Then you can clean up any areas that have corrosion and stop the leaks with something like 24 hour araldite or Kneadit.

Clean the area to be patched with a stainless wire brush and a solvent like acetone or thinners before plugging the holes.

They are a great old boat and it will serve you well with a bit of tlc.

Cheers, yea iv already took the floor out and gave it a good clean, was a bit concern with all the foam that was under the floor but i now know what it was there for so i had to take the floor out again and put the foam stuff back in lol

15 minutes ago, Binder said:

Its good stuff, but your unlikley to be in need of a fast repair. Also takes overnight to setup really hard.

When I was young and broke, had half a radiator repaired with it where a little excessive stopping, when I did a dukes of hazard off a creek bank, encouraged the engine fan to give the radiator a kiss.

5 minute areldite for your pin hole/s will do the job.

cheers.. thats not good, luckily it only kissed the radiator

With the seats they are there to sit on and are not meant to be treated like your kitchen chairs at home. My pet hate is people who put their feet up and lean back . I use king pin mounts as they are versatile as the floor plate is flush with the deck but they do crack out when they are lent on. I have since found stainless ones which are only a few bucks dearer but are a bit stronger than the aluminum bases. They are not cheap at around $40 for just the base.

This is what I use for the 2 permanently mounted seats in my dam boat.

305MM COLUMBIA PEDESTAL

Product ID
V2-293770
Vendor:

Price
$144.20 $132.66

You Save
$11.54
Tax included

Purchase

Quantity : 

Overview
305MM COLUMBIA PEDESTAL
Description
* Heavy-duty cast aluminium base with 6 x 8mm countersunk mounting holes for a solid support in a cabin or cockpit. * High-strength aluminium powder coated finish friction locking swivel base. * Moulded nylon cup insert provides a smooth swivel performance. * 228mm (9") anodised finish base. * 73mm (2 7/8") satin finish post * 360 degree rotation trac-lock swivel with a centrally located locking handle easy to reach with left or right hand.

Specifications

Note: Class AD (Driver): Seat mount must incorporate a mechanical interference lock and resist 150 foot pounds of torque (1800 inch pounds).

For the movable seats this is the part that is attached to the bottom of the seat

Product Details

PEDESTAL SEAT BASE WITH SPRING
Click over image to enlarge

Product ID
V2-293738
Vendor:
Manufacturer:
King Pin

Price
$25.20 $22.68

You Save
$2.52
Tax included

Purchase

Quantity : 

Overview
Description
* Rugged all steel construction with black autophoretic? coating (E coated) making it suitable for all marine environments. * Rotates 360 degree. * To be used with any KingPin post. * Mounting to a base without a pedestal requires a 63mm (2 1/2") hole with a 76mm (3") depth. * Recommended to be secured before road travel. * Supplied with seat mounting spring 31mm (1 1/4") long.

Specifications

Note: Class B: Seat mount designed for occupancy only at boat speeds not exceeding five miles per hour (8km). Within each of these classifications all pedestals must pass a series of tests (horizontal abd vertical impacts, torque and static load test). The are also two types of class A seats.

Browse more in Seat Bases category

Logo
 Powered by IXXO Multi-Vendor

My Profile

Product Search

Advanced Search

Additional Pages

I cannot find the base on lances site but have a look as there is very good info there which will help you choose a suitable seat.

Hope this works

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=catalog&mode=search&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=seat+pedestal&pg=a

if it doesnt just search for seat pedestal on Lances site.

Cheers

Ray

This is the ally one from an american site

Springfield Kingpin Standard Square Base, 7" x 7"

Springfield Kingpin Standard Square Base, 7" x 7"

See Products
On Sale $29.11
Springfield Kingpin Standard Square Base, 7" x 7".

• 7" x 7" Aluminum Base, With Nylon Bushing And Satin Finish
  • 3" Cup Depth
  • Below The Deck Mount Requires A 2-1/2" Hole In Deck
  • Use With Standard KingPin Posts (sold separately)

On 11/26/2016 at 6:33 PM, rayke1938 said:

With the seats they are there to sit on and are not meant to be treated like your kitchen chairs at home. My pet hate is people who put their feet up and lean back . I use king pin mounts as they are versatile as the floor plate is flush with the deck but they do crack out when they are lent on. I have since found stainless ones which are only a few bucks dearer but are a bit stronger than the aluminum bases. They are not cheap at around $40 for just the base.

This is what I use for the 2 permanently mounted seats in my dam boat.

305MM COLUMBIA PEDESTAL

Product ID
V2-293770
Vendor:

Price
$144.20 $132.66

You Save
$11.54
Tax included

Purchase

Quantity : 

Overview
305MM COLUMBIA PEDESTAL
Description
* Heavy-duty cast aluminium base with 6 x 8mm countersunk mounting holes for a solid support in a cabin or cockpit. * High-strength aluminium powder coated finish friction locking swivel base. * Moulded nylon cup insert provides a smooth swivel performance. * 228mm (9") anodised finish base. * 73mm (2 7/8") satin finish post * 360 degree rotation trac-lock swivel with a centrally located locking handle easy to reach with left or right hand.

Specifications

Note: Class AD (Driver): Seat mount must incorporate a mechanical interference lock and resist 150 foot pounds of torque (1800 inch pounds).

For the movable seats this is the part that is attached to the bottom of the seat

Product Details

Click over image to enlarge

Product ID
V2-293738
Vendor:
Manufacturer:
King Pin

Price
$25.20 $22.68

You Save
$2.52
Tax included

Purchase

Quantity : 

Overview
Description
* Rugged all steel construction with black autophoretic? coating (E coated) making it suitable for all marine environments. * Rotates 360 degree. * To be used with any KingPin post. * Mounting to a base without a pedestal requires a 63mm (2 1/2") hole with a 76mm (3") depth. * Recommended to be secured before road travel. * Supplied with seat mounting spring 31mm (1 1/4") long.

Specifications

Note: Class B: Seat mount designed for occupancy only at boat speeds not exceeding five miles per hour (8km). Within each of these classifications all pedestals must pass a series of tests (horizontal abd vertical impacts, torque and static load test). The are also two types of class A seats.

Browse more in Seat Bases category

Logo