Blakesley's Social Weekend Febuary 24th To 26th

tugger

3 hours ago, Angus said:

Jeez you have to pay for passing out but Facebook is a bit rough. AFO is one thing but in certain lines of work you really don't want that stuff out and about. Granted when it is self imposed you cannot do much.

Ah the joys of social media. It is a bit rough to put that sort of stuff up on stalkerbook without getting the person's permission. We've all gone too hard on the first night of a camping trip sometime in our past.  Sounds like you guys had a great time while I was helping people move house. Maybe next time.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Ah the joys of social media. It is a bit rough to put that sort of stuff up on stalkerbook without getting the person's permission. We've all gone too hard on the first night of a camping trip sometime in our past.  Sounds like you guys had a great time while I was helping people move house. Maybe next time.

Reason I'm not on FB. :-) 

Yep, I have a mate that would have got sick on the weekend, and he's almost 40 ....... ;) 

Still plenty more stories to emerge and be shared from this weekend ....... like me not being able to anchor my tinny properly ..... (hey Kelvin, is that your tinny floating away towards Peel Island ......... :whistle:) and the guy with the broken down glass boat with a tinny in tow that wrapped around and bumped into I think 3 boats (instead of dropping his anchor .......) and then being silly enough to argue with @tugger ....... just wish I was there to witness it.

@demarc and @Do$tylz - catch any on Sunday?

What a great weekend only trouble I didn't take a single photo so I will give an in depth written report starting Friday morning. Met up with Lance and endan and we loaded my boat and headed for Victoria point boat ramp where we launched and set off across the bay for the camp.

We reached Blakesleys at high tide early in the morning an unloaded all the gear for camp and set the boat on anchor then set up the tarp for all the tables, bbq, lights, chairs and eskies to go under. Blakesleys camp is flat and has plenty of shade under the many trees we had plenty of visits from the local goanna's and curlew's.

The scenery back across the bay is worth the trip over as you have Peel island just to the north and Macleay island just to the south as the sun starts to set it looks great over the water. Brad and his wife and grandkids in their boat joined us over there through the day as well as Nathan and Tom in another boat so we had a good crew on the 1st day as well as Ted and Stu joined us late that evening.

The night was a good laugh with myself in good spirits I became the entertainment singing along to the music I reckon I go alright after quite a few brews. Saturday morning rolled around and Lance, Ted and I got an early start and headed offshore for a fish going through south passage bar.

The bar was flat with the swell small so we got some livies and headed for boat rock where we anchored and set a large surface bait out then chased reef fish on the bottom. We got 7 moses perch for the box and caught 2 kingies that went 60cm so we put them back then I hooked a big kingie which fought hard and it took a while before he started to come off the bottom and just under the boat he got sharked spewing.

We had a strike from a Spanish mackerel on the surface bait that got snipped straight after the hit but alas that was to be our only Spanish strike. We called it a day just before lunch and Dropped Ted back to viccy point before heading back to camp.

Most of the remaining crews and boats had got to camp by the time we got back and a few more rolled in during the arvo. All up there was 10 boats that made it along to this social and 25 crew which was a great effort, the evening meal was huge on Saturday and I would like to thank everyone who contributed.

Plenty of shenanigans again on Saturday night and some great company it looked like everyone enjoyed them selves. Sunday we cooked up some breaky and pulled down camp as we said our goodbye's and gee"d everyone for plenty more socials in the near future.

45 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, I have a mate that would have got sick on the weekend, and he's almost 40 ....... ;) 

Still plenty more stories to emerge and be shared from this weekend ....... like me not being able to anchor my tinny properly ..... (hey Kelvin, is that your tinny floating away towards Peel Island ......... :whistle:) and the guy with the broken down glass boat with a tinny in tow that wrapped around and bumped into I think 3 boats (instead of dropping his anchor .......) and then being silly enough to argue with @tugger ....... just wish I was there to witness it.

@demarc and @Do$tylz - catch any on Sunday?

Do$tylz got a 30cm squire. Nothing to write home about. The vic point ramp sucked in the wind for retrieval. VMR boys have it down pat at the ramp.

Raby Bay ramp would've been brilliant. Viccy Point wasn't too bad, I've had worse, but the wind didn't make it easy. Trying to pick the pots up was far more difficult, wind and swell had me having three or four attempts at lining up the pots.

I found the most frustating thing was trying to get out of Cleveland. I had to go that way to get fuel, and had no idea there was a triathlon on. They had the main roads blocked and I missed the detour to Brisbane. I ended up in the canals of Raby Bay and then had to crawl back through the city centre with a 1000 other cars. Took me a good 35 minutes to get out. Anyway...

On 2/27/2017 at 0:58 PM, Angus said:

Jeez you have to pay for passing out but Facebook is a bit rough. AFO is one thing but in certain lines of work you really don't want that stuff out and about. Granted when it is self imposed you cannot do much.

I have plenty of great pictures from well before the night went blurry I will get off my phone and camera this week as well. Some cracking sunset shots and a great group shot late in the afternoon. Also the few fish we actually managed to get!

Did someone say Borumba next?

There was more to why they drew all over his face I think but I wasn't there, I just got sent the aftermath..

On 2/27/2017 at 0:58 PM, Angus said:

I have plenty of great pictures from well before the night went blurry I will get off my phone and camera this week as well. Some cracking sunset shots and a great group shot late in the afternoon. Also the few fish we actually managed to get!

Did someone say Borumba next?

yes i think a few agreed for a borumba trip

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, samsteele115 said:

the raby bay ramp was trouble free, no issues with wind. Did everyone go Vic point cos of less boat traffic or? 

We used Victoria Point ramp as it is the closest to Blakesleys camp and we had no issues when leaving it is a bit exposed with a southerly wind but not to bad

3 hours ago, tugger said:

We used Victoria Point ramp as it is the closest to Blakesleys camp and we had no issues when leaving it is a bit exposed with a southerly wind but not to bad

It was a solid 20knts when we retrieved. Henry saw a smalish plate boat get damaged from the chop on the jetty.

3 hours ago, demarc said:

It was a solid 20knts when we retrieved. Henry saw a smalish plate boat get damaged from the chop on the jetty.

Yeah I think the smaller the boat the worse it would have been due to less clearance from the water and therefore from the level of the pontoon. Mine was bashing into teh jetty quite badly - probably should have used the northern side even though there was more boats waiting/using it. Saw a nice Sportfish plate centre console which is what I would love to own next - talked to the owner who was happy for me to check it out. 

Very friendly people at the ramp - one bloke offered to stand in the water at the end of my trailer because he had parked in front of mine on the pontoon whilst I was getting my car but I said I was fine as I just drove around him, pulled up again and then used my rope. Another guy got down on his knees (on the pontoon0 and pushed the ar$e end of my tinny to help keep it straight whilst I winched it. Again, I would have been fine (I pull on my rope attached to the nose of the tinny to keep it straight) however it definitely helped make it easier and I was very appreciative. Nice to know there are good people out there :) 

Archived