Merry Christmas & Annual Accomplishments

Angus

Well it is that time of year were we often have a bit of shameless boasting for the benefit of reflection and vicarious enjoyment. This has been, to be honest, one of the best years yet. To state the obvious, birth of my son was a huge highlight and I will happily add him to the "best catch" category as cheesy as it may be.

Furthermore with the push of several dedicated and proactive members I have seen the site, AFO, itself take on a really positive new life. This has thoroughly reinvigorated my interest and motivation to keep building on what we have here. I would implore every member who reads this both active and inactive to take a page from this as (without sounding like a broken record) interest and activity begets interest and activity. If you want a site where there is ample new content each and every time you log on it starts with you! I look forward to socials and more activity in the new year starting with the Blakesley's trip which is already shaping up to be a good one.

Now on to the fish!

First of all the obvious PNG trip which was great. No PB's caught for me in regards to size, but this still stood out as my best trip simply for numbers, and that all black bass I caught were on surface.

A couple of my better ones.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hectic YFT sessions on the way to the rivers also made this trip a stand out.

3.jpg

I am not heading back next year as I am looking forward to a solid year of family excursions (that will still include fishing) but I am already looking forward to the 2018 adventure!

On the domestic front as well fishing was good from the day I opened my 2016 account in the Noosa Everglades. This was the first time I have fished this properly and look forward to heading back!

9.jpg

Lots and lots of normal average stuff locally such as epic tailor, bream and squire sessions in the river mouth...

6.jpg10.jpg

11.jpg13.jpg

Green Island was also great for squid early in the season.

7.jpg

And my first legal jew off the rocks at Straddy. Not a monster but got to start somewhere!

12.jpg

Another huge pleasure has been seeing my dad going from mostly hooked on fishing to completely. I have probably fished with my dad more this year than i have since I was a kid (maybe more) and now he is the one planning ideas and talking about new tackle. It is awesome :P This a couple of shots from when we headed to Hervey Bay and got stuck into spotties and mack tuna.

15.jpg14.jpg

There was also the crazy adventure to Jenny Lind creek were we flew in. Lots of queenies, cod, trevs, whiting, flatties and one jack completed the fishing front and the crabbing was insane with over 30 bucks caught.

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

And speaking of 1770! My fish of the year was on our overnight offshore mission to the GBR off 1770. This was pretty special as we had never done it and were going off the advice of some very helpful AFO members. We exceeded our expectations bringing in a variety of reefies and some stand out red emps. Hardest fighting fish I caught this year.

20.jpg21.jpg23.jpg

All in all, for a year that included working full time, studying, running a business and having a baby... I do not think I could have asked for much more :P

Happy holidays everyone and Iook forward to reading some other peoples "year that was" posts :)

Cheers.

Angus

14.jpg

15.jpg

I'll reply properly later (off to yet ANOTHER kids birthday party .... grrrrrrrr) Angus but in the meantime that is one cracking year!!!! And I agree, the site is just going forward in leaps and bounds, really great bunch of people on here at the moment. I just hope we get a couple of 'undesirables' next year so @ellicat can keep himself busy and leave his wife in peace sometimes ......:whistle::devil:

My accomplishment this year was making it to Broomfield reef(something I thought I'd never be able to do) and staying the night at Wilson island with good mates, and being invited to raft up with the Auscrab boys with their big boats, never thought this would occur either.

Next year's goal is to push the boat even further, Innamincka shoals and Swains are in my sights.

20160915_064302.jpg

Hasn't been an epic year fishing-wise for me. Lots of consistent trips down the pin, couple of trips over to moreton and a few outside trips in both mine and a mates boat. No real standout fish or new pb's.

three sessions stand out for me - all on moreton. 

First on was in August when I took on a 20kn northerly and got 11 flatties including two oversize in about 90 minutes. Had the place all to myself, just very relaxing and plenty of fish to keep me amused.

second was a rock fishing session with a good mate from NZ. Weather was perfect, fish everywhere, whales, dolphins, eagle rays... Everything aligned beautifully.

the third was a day over at moreton when I took my lady over there with me. Started off with a complete glass out so I launched the yak early and got my bag of snapper, a school mackerel and then got towed out to sea a fair way by a decent Mack tuna on light gear. Fresh snapper for breakfast and lunch. A late afternoon rock fishing sesh resulted in only one fish - the mrs hooking and landing a bonefish off the rocks... Something I am yet to achieve. From someone who had never even fished to now constantly asking if we can go again... Think I'm onto a winner there.

the other thing I have done this year is to take a few complete novices out in the boat and watched 3 people catch their first fish ever. It is deeply satisfying watching that all happen and knowing that you have started something new for someone is awesome. All three have demanded to be able to come back for more as well!

looking into 2017 - i am hoping to try for a couple of new species for me - mainly a Murray cod.

45 minutes ago, demarc said:

My accomplishment this year was making it to Broomfield reef(something I thought I'd never be able to do) and staying the night at Wilson island with good mates, and being invited to raft up with the Auscrab boys with their big boats, never thought this would occur either.

Next year's goal is to push the boat even further, Innamincka shoals and Swains are in my sights.

20160915_064302.jpg

Awesome! Swains would be awesome. Been when I was a young teenager and did not really have a clue. Would love to go back with new knowledge.

35 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Hasn't been an epic year fishing-wise for me. Lots of consistent trips down the pin, couple of trips over to moreton and a few outside trips in both mine and a mates boat. No real standout fish or new pb's.

three sessions stand out for me - all on moreton. 

First on was in August when I took on a 20kn northerly and got 11 flatties including two oversize in about 90 minutes. Had the place all to myself, just very relaxing and plenty of fish to keep me amused.

second was a rock fishing session with a good mate from NZ. Weather was perfect, fish everywhere, whales, dolphins, eagle rays... Everything aligned beautifully.

the third was a day over at moreton when I took my lady over there with me. Started off with a complete glass out so I launched the yak early and got my bag of snapper, a school mackerel and then got towed out to sea a fair way by a decent Mack tuna on light gear. Fresh snapper for breakfast and lunch. A late afternoon rock fishing sesh resulted in only one fish - the mrs hooking and landing a bonefish off the rocks... Something I am yet to achieve. From someone who had never even fished to now constantly asking if we can go again... Think I'm onto a winner there.

the other thing I have done this year is to take a few complete novices out in the boat and watched 3 people catch their first fish ever. It is deeply satisfying watching that all happen and knowing that you have started something new for someone is awesome. All three have demanded to be able to come back for more as well!

looking into 2017 - i am hoping to try for a couple of new species for me - mainly a Murray cod.

I still get a big buzz out of seeing people catch their first or a new fish.

3 hours ago, benno573 said:

the other thing I have done this year is to take a few complete novices out in the boat

I think it's fantastic that you take @ellicat out in spite of his lack of ability ....... :whistle:  He must be worse than I thought as I thought with the number of trips he's had with you he would have moved up the ranks to 'novice' by now though ......... :devil:

Archived