Guide for 1st Day at Awoonga Dam

blue_mako

Hey guys.

Since no one, I think, has had any experience for Awoonga in November I have been thinking we should hirer a guide for the either the 1st or 2nd day of fishing so for the rest of the week we have a few spots to fish since we have some guide knowledge. Does anyone agree? Also at least at the end of the weeks fishing we will have at least 1 Barra under our belts. They were talking about somone called Johnny on ausfish who is apparently a great guide.

Troy

Hey Troy

I agree - Good call - lets try and book the guide for Sunday 12th we could leave at say 1am we could be there for a guided fish straight out of the car.

I would be a bit worried about security of all our stuff cause we don't have a cabin for the night, but i fwe take our rods with us on the guide it should be OK and the giude may be able to tell us where a safe park is.

Ray - can you advise on this? Is security a problem?

But lets see what we can do.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/27 19:25

Yeah ill be in for that.

Troy find out some more about Johnny and see if he would be available first.

Either that or i start Googling.

Failing that i could always email some of the resident pro's and ask if they would be willing to take us out for say some fre publicity on BRC :) Long shot i know but hey :P

Angus

I did some research on Johnny. He looks great but it is quite expensive. He can only take two people out at a time for 6 hrs and its $275 per person. Though he always always always gets 1m+ Barra. Also it's a 6 hr drive so we shal try and time it nicely depending on when we guide starts. Though by looking at information on Jonhny's site the best Barra fishing occurs at sundown.

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/08/28 14:19

Hey Troy

Here is the budget that I have worked out so far, feel free to correct my maths if I'm wrong.

cabin cost 4 night x $75 = 300

extra persons in cabin 2 x $10 x 4 nights = 80

Petrol travel say guess = 160

petrol boat say $50 per day x 6 days = 300

Food say $100 per head = 400

that's what = 1240 which is about $310 each for 4 people.

plus fishing stuff and extras so I say $500 each should do it.

If we get a guide it'll push the price up, but it will be worth it.

Here's where I have booked the 4 nights.

When I rang them this was the only accom I could get.

But I didn't try the bunk house so if you want to try that let me know what's available.

www.lakeawoongacaravanpark.com.au/site/rates/

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/30 20:44

Brian: I will take the cheapest accomodation possible. It's cheaper to get a 4 person bunk house for $80 instead of a 3 person cabin for $85. All we have to do is bring our own sleeping bag, they provide the pillow.

I haven't taken boat fuel into account since I'll be taking the kayak. If weather doesnt permit can I give you $20 for each day I go along with you guys on the boat instead of the kayak? Just make it easier for me since I literally have save every 5c piece I find lying around the house if I want to go.

Troy

Hey Troy do what ever it takes for you to catch a Barra.

Are there any bunk house spots available? If so I might be able to grap a spot for the 1st night. I realy don't mind where you guys sleep but I am sleeping in the cabin cause at my age I like a bit of comfort. If it's better for you to sleep in a tent go for it as I didn't realy consider the options, I just booked a cabin cause that is what they said they had.

About the money - just pay your way and your sweet - everything can get sorted out - so don't worry about it too much. Just hook into the Barra.

I'm going no matter what.

Here's a go - You guys can organise your accomadation and transport and we can meet up there if that's what you want to do. I realy don't mind. That way you can sort your own budget out.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/31 21:16

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/09/02 16:12

Troy

If you want you can take a tent and it will cost you $10 a night. You will need to book.

Angus - what are you thoughts? Can you still come with your new job?

I would like to know cause I would like my wife and daughter to use the cabin if you guys don't want it, but they are not interested in the boat or fishing.

My wife would take her own car so she can go shopping in gladstone.(woopie).

About the petrol in the boat - I have decided on buying an aux motor - a little 4 stroke for trolling. So boat petrol will be bugger all.

Please advise and confirm.

• 4 weeks later...

Troy

Have you followed up on this yet?

The accomadation that I have booked is only for 13/11 - 16/11 - check out 10.00 am 17/11

I plan to leave Sun 12/11 at about 2 am so we will need somewhere to sleep Sunday Night. I am ok sleepin in the car but would prefer a bed in the bunkhouse. If you guys want to pitch a tent or whatever please let me know.

It's Angus birthday 17/11 (I think) and we may be able to bunk with Ray but I think Feral is still there that night so it may not be suitable. Maybe you could book another couple of nights in the bunkhouse. Again I would prefer a bed but my car is good for me. You need accomadation for 17&18/11.

I plan to come home Sunday 19/11.

Summary

Sun 12/11 Depart 2.00am. Arrive at about 10.00am

Sun Night - accomadation TBC

Mon 13 - Thus 16th Cabin accom at lake caravan park - check out 10.00 Fri

Fri 17/11 & Sat 18/11 accomadation TBC

Sun 19/11 Depart for home.

Budget I still say about $500

Troy Please confirm your intentions.

Angus has confirmed - but Angus if dates don't suit your work you could take your own car and fit in to suit you s- just let me know, please.

Dates suite me mate.

As does the budget.

Ground suits me but ill try and borrow a tent and a swag anyway.

I dont see any problem doing this.

Here barra barra barra

Oh wait till you see James's report from yersterday. It was both our best freshwater trips to date.

Angus

Angus if you want to go that's cool with me - I'll play in my boat. If it's a budget thing I'll chip in casue you guys will passs on the tips, hopefully.

Troy I have to say I am confussed. On one hand you are worried about the budget then on the other you don't mind forking out for a guide. :huh:

Troy - what do you want to do abaout the accomadation - are you OK with a swag?

Hey Angus if your the churchie bot put up a couple of Barra prayers.

Churchie was the name of my school Brian. Well an abreviation of Anglican Church Grammar School. Not a completely accurate discription of nature. :evil:

Oh well.

Im not to keen on the guide to be honest.

I would prefer to play in teh boat as well quite frankly.

Angus

Archived