Early Start To The Season

Tybo

With the wind the way it was today, decided to give the punt a run, and go see a mate who said, "they've been getting prawns". I'd just installed a small little sounder on it too, so seemed fitting to see how it went. 

IMG20170107160521.jpg

The wind was still horrible, and there was much more tide than I liked, but we still found prawns. Old mate drove and kept an eye on the sounder, and I threw. Two hours and not working too hard, and I ended up with around 1.4kg. (My mate doesn't eat them, so all for me.)

IMG20170107172019.jpg

(Bowl was tared before weighing)

Early days yet, but they're definitely out there. Size is still borderline, but will only get better in weeks to come.

This is a good average.

IMG20170107172208.jpg

Sounder made a big difference. Prawns are holed up on the bottom, the deeper the water the better. Once you can recognise them on the sounder, it's the difference between 3 prawns a cast, and 15 a cast. 

3 hours ago, Binder said:

No white spots?

Nah, no white spot. They were caught nowhere near the Logan River. 

47 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice Ty - what size net are you throwing? I'm going to have to get myself one and have a go this season.

Custom 10ft with top and bottom pockets. It's a bit big for me, I don't get out as wide as I'd like, but they maybe be my technique on this net as well. I also have an 8ft standard mono and old 6ft cotton net which I can easily throw at 100%, but don't have top pockets. Tops are a must with prawns. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey tybo,

Hope you are happy and well. Australia day looked amazing!!

I'm not pro at throwing a net and struggled with a 12 footer untill I found some oysters,, now its trash.

Should I get a 8foot or a 10 foot?

Also where do you get custom ones? The BCF ones seem a bit average. 

Hey mate,

Yeah, Tangalooma and Moreton was pretty magical yesterday. I had a full boat, so didn't take any rods. My mate did though, and bagged out on solid bream at 10am, while 20 people snorkelled around him. Just goes to show.

I have a 10 foot net and struggle to throw it 100%, I've had it for years and am pretty sure it is a BCF one or similar. I believe you're better off throwing a smaller net to capacity, then struggling with a big net. I'm thinking about getting one of these from Dave's Castnets, before April when the big bananas start to run. If yours is buggered, I'd stongly recommend just getting a new one, maybe an 8 foot. I reckon just talk to the bloke above.

Good luck!

Archived