Mooloolaba Rock Wall Fishing

Kjaimer

Hey guys me and a mate of mine were thinking of fishing off the Mooloolaba Spit wall. Have fished there a few times but caught nothing more than whiting and eagle Ray's. We were thinking of targeting sharks or some mackerel but am wondering what your ideas or tips for fishing the area would be as we would like to have a better idea before heading out. What bait, rig, technique, spot or time to go would be amazing.

We would be able to move around a little bit of fishing at the trawler jetty is more productive. Any help would be amazing. 

P.s I'm new to the forums so if I have done anything wrong just let me know. 

Cheers,

Kyle

I have not done a lot there except a few canal bream sessions.

The marina where the fishing boats pull up used to be a favorite with bream fishos though and there were some crazy runs of hairtail there as well. Mostly night fishing.

I have seen an AFO member of old catch a mack tuna right in the estaury so why not mackerel off the wall!

58 minutes ago, Angus said:

I have not done a lot there except a few canal bream sessions.

The marina where the fishing boats pull up used to be a favorite with bream fishos though and there were some crazy runs of hairtail there as well. Mostly night fishing.

I have seen an AFO member of old catch a mack tuna right in the estaury so why not mackerel off the wall!

Thanks for your help Angus. Might have to head off to the jetty and try at night if the rock wall won't produce. I have had a mate of mine pull a small Mahi off the rock wall which is a bit of a rare catch indeed.

Hear reports of school mackerel getting caught there as well as tailor when they are in season. I haven't been there for years but from memory pickers can be a problem. Perhaps half or a whole garfish on ganged hooks would be a good option? If you had the wind behind you, you could float it out to get it past the pickers. Just an idea :) 

Used to fish the eastern wall (kawana side) a lot. Good for bream, flathead, tailor, trevally and used to get a heap of moses perch there at night too. We caught some massive shovel nose there and caught a few decent jew at night too. Wasn't ever there when the mackerel were close enough in but it could happen. Boat and fishing traffic is the killer, had the best luck mid week early morning or on dusk.

la balsa park can turn up some decent Goldens in late autumn as well as huge stingray which are good for putting a bend in the line.

On 24/03/2017 at 11:45 AM, benno573 said:

Look forward to reading the report, good luck.

Didn't know if there was a seperate report section or what but due to rain and a strong current at the rock wall conditions were not ideal for fishing. We went to the trawler jetty for a bit to try it out and caught a few small Moses perch but noting worth a special note. Thanks everyone for your help. 

Archived