First Time In Australia

Hi from The Netherlands!

I will be traveling from Sydney to Cairns in July and August this year.
We are planning to go by van along the coast to the north.

I am known with most angling techniques, freshwater mainly and some saltwater from the beach.

I was hoping you guys could help me in the right direction on angling at the east-coast. I was thinking
about the gear, bait, locations and of course the possible permits I might need.

Some extra tips or hints are also very welcome of course! 

Thanks in advance!

Dutch-angler

In Queensland to fish any of the freshwater dams you need a stocked impoundment license. No license required to fish the salt.

Most dams in South East Qld are stocked with bass,golden perch,and from Maryborough northwards they are stocked with barramundi .

Best fishingin the dams is from a boat orkayak.

Cheers

Ray

8 hours ago, Dutch-angler said:

I was hoping you guys could help me in the right direction on angling at the east-coast. I was thinking
about the gear, bait, locations and of course the possible permits I might need.

Gday Dutchie, (sorry we shorten most words)

:)

IN NSW you will need a fishing permit. These are easy to get and not too expensive but as rayke said no licence needed in QLD unless you are fishing in some of the dams. 

Sydney to Cairns! wow great trip. Will be about 3,000km! The fishing and climate in this range is hugely varied. You can catch fish all the way. Tplastics around and this would be an easy way to target lots of areas and variety of fish. So many diferent environments in that area. Estuarays, open beaches, rocky headlands, reef fishing, small water creeks, lakes and everything in between. 

I wish i was coming with you.  

Hi all,

At first sorry for the late response on your awesome replies.
It is very helpful and I do very much appreciate the kindness of you guys.

When I go to Australia I will bring my own reel : Mitchell Avocet IV Salt IV 4000 FD  ( I think its called like that) In dutch we have different names for the two types of reels.

Is there some kind of all-round rod I could use for bass fishing and salt-water fishing? It should also be not that expensive because I cannot bring it back with me to The Netherlands because of the size.

Does someone know more about the saltwater fishing? I was thinking about some squid (sounds awesome!) and other easy to catch fish which can be eaten. 

Thanks in advance!

A few questions ? What vehicle to you intend to travel in? Hire car/ Hire Campervan,hire motorhome. Or just buy a cheap backpacker car/van and use that and sell it when you leave.

Have a look at this website https://alaskanaturally.shutterfly.com/

Martin and Ruta were able to borrow a pop up camper mounted on the rear of a ute. Quite a few articles that will give you quite a bit of information and ideas what to see.

They are a lovely couple and if you were to contact them I am certain that they will give you a lot more information.

There are some of their travels documented on this site but a lot more on there site.

Also look up some of the grey nomad websites where you will also find a lot of information on where to go and where you can free camp.

With a rod I would go fibreglass they are a lot more rugged and withstand more abuse.

2 piece will be a lot easier to pack. You will get a robust one from K Mart for under $30 and at that price you can afford to throw it away when you finish your travels.

Cheers

Ray

Hey mate and welcome.

That is a big drive and I only know part of it with any helpful advice but will do what I can.

First of all might be worth getting a travel rod you can take home. Something like this would suit:http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Savage-Roadrunner-Travel-Spin-Rod/377563

There is 1000 different ways you can fish down here but that is going cover most of your basic estuary and river fishing that will be available. I would match it with a 2500 size real for versatility. 

Around Sydney land based fishing options are actually pretty abundant though not taken advantage of. Anywhere along the harbour (and it is a big harbour) you can get bream and other basic species. I use lures, little 40-50mm bibbed lures are ideal for bream but they will eat prawns etc as well.

From Sydney can I suggest an interesting way to drive out I found totally by accident last time I drove out. Once you leave Sydney there are a few options of where to go but I highly recommend driving through the Wollemi national park. Check it out on Google images. There are places to stay/camp along the way and I have been told the rivers boast pretty good bass fishing.

Once you pop out you have the option to head towards the New England highway or back to the coast. For your first trip I would do the coast and as you have the van stop off at all the cool little coastal towns on the way starting with Myall Lakes, Forster, Taree, Port Macquarie and so one. Great scenery and all locations can offer good estuary fishing. Local bait and tackle stores should offer advice on baits etc (fresh is best). Bream and flathead will take plastics and hard bodied lures.

Once you get to Kempsey, and after checking out South West Rocks,  can I recommend another inland detour. This will take you through some epic country. Driving along the Armidale road is a great drive and the river is full of bass. Once you get to Ebor there are trout options as well. Check out the info centre in this location as there are tonnes of amazing walks and scenic opportunities. 

Once you are finished with Ebor you once again have the choice to head back to the coast or inland to the New England Highway. This is a toss up as there are still some great coastal locations to see (Wooli, Yamba, Coffs Harbour) before getting the Gold Coast/Brisbane but inland offers euqally interesting and different opportunities to what you would have seen (Armidale, Stanthorpe, Glen Innes). This also gives you a chance at catching the iconic Murray Cod with a bit of research. Stanthorpe is also good wine country if that appeals and the "granite country" is well worth seeing. I recommend Giraween and Bald Rock national parks (good images will once again show you what I mean).

From Stanthorpe you can head back to the coast via Warwick or Toowoomba and then into Brisbane. I am sure with all the members on this site at your disposal you will have heaps of deckie opportunities or at the very least advice for Brisbane fishing. While you are in Brisbane I would 110% get on the car barge over the Stradbroke Island for a few days. One of the best kept "not so secret" secrets. From here up the coastal road again. I would check out Noosa and Hervey Bay and beyond.

My North QLD knowledge is a bit lacking but all the water holds fish. Some of it holds crocodiles as well :P Hopefully some other members can offer better NQ info.

Anyway mate hope this has helped and I hope you keep us posted with your progress!

Angus

17 hours ago, Angus said:

Hey mate and welcome.

That is a big drive and I only know part of it with any helpful advice but will do what I can.

First of all might be worth getting a travel rod you can take home. Something like this would suit:http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Savage-Roadrunner-Travel-Spin-Rod/377563

There is 1000 different ways you can fish down here but that is going cover most of your basic estuary and river fishing that will be available. I would match it with a 2500 size real for versatility. 

Around Sydney land based fishing options are actually pretty abundant though not taken advantage of. Anywhere along the harbour (and it is a big harbour) you can get bream and other basic species. I use lures, little 40-50mm bibbed lures are ideal for bream but they will eat prawns etc as well.

From Sydney can I suggest an interesting way to drive out I found totally by accident last time I drove out. Once you leave Sydney there are a few options of where to go but I highly recommend driving through the Wollemi national park. Check it out on Google images. There are places to stay/camp along the way and I have been told the rivers boast pretty good bass fishing.

Once you pop out you have the option to head towards the New England highway or back to the coast. For your first trip I would do the coast and as you have the van stop off at all the cool little coastal towns on the way starting with Myall Lakes, Forster, Taree, Port Macquarie and so one. Great scenery and all locations can offer good estuary fishing. Local bait and tackle stores should offer advice on baits etc (fresh is best). Bream and flathead will take plastics and hard bodied lures.

Once you get to Kempsey, and after checking out South West Rocks,  can I recommend another inland detour. This will take you through some epic country. Driving along the Armidale road is a great drive and the river is full of bass. Once you get to Ebor there are trout options as well. Check out the info centre in this location as there are tonnes of amazing walks and scenic opportunities. 

Once you are finished with Ebor you once again have the choice to head back to the coast or inland to the New England Highway. This is a toss up as there are still some great coastal locations to see (Wooli, Yamba, Coffs Harbour) before getting the Gold Coast/Brisbane but inland offers euqally interesting and different opportunities to what you would have seen (Armidale, Stanthorpe, Glen Innes). This also gives you a chance at catching the iconic Murray Cod with a bit of research. Stanthorpe is also good wine country if that appeals and the "granite country" is well worth seeing. I recommend Giraween and Bald Rock national parks (good images will once again show you what I mean).

From Stanthorpe you can head back to the coast via Warwick or Toowoomba and then into Brisbane. I am sure with all the members on this site at your disposal you will have heaps of deckie opportunities or at the very least advice for Brisbane fishing. While you are in Brisbane I would 110% get on the car barge over the Stradbroke Island for a few days. One of the best kept "not so secret" secrets. From here up the coastal road again. I would check out Noosa and Hervey Bay and beyond.

My North QLD knowledge is a bit lacking but all the water holds fish. Some of it holds crocodiles as well :P Hopefully some other members can offer better NQ info.

Anyway mate hope this has helped and I hope you keep us posted with your progress!

Angus

Wow what a lot of information, thanks so much. Very helpful! I'll keep you guys posted!

Archived