Gelspun what?

Brian D

Brian: Gelspun lines do not strecth but feel like mono or nylon. Well it is mono or nylon. To put it in simple words it is braid fibers coated in mono. It's used quite often in fly as many other fly lines stretch so they came up with the idea to put braid fibres in the centre to stop stretch. Though it can be used on all reels. Gellspun is good for all those old school fisherman who prefer mono over braid but don't want stretch. i.e. James you old school mono as main line user :P

Terry: Fireline actually isn't braid as a lot of people think. It's actualy very different to spectra braid. Fireline is called fused line, as is spiderwire fusion and other lines. It looks and feels like spectra but it's thicker and is constructed different. It usually has 2 or 3 layers. Outer layer is for abrasion resistence and the inner for strength. It is more durable then specra braid and doesn't rot like cheap spectra. Also fused line snaps at a higher strain then a spectra of the same dia.

Dave: Platypus super braid is spectra braid. Spectra is the original braid. Like you would do if braiding someones hair (Mind you I dont know how to braid a persons hair. Seems kinda gay if you did) It is just a few strands of fibers, then wound together in a certain way, like rope. It's thinner then gellspun or fused line though it's more prone to freying. But it is less visible to fish. Platypus is the leading spectra braid in light weight fishing, that's why it's so expensive.

Troy

yeah thanks troy

I have some other questions but I'll read what you said a cople of more times and get back to you.

So we have:

Mono (which is the old stuff)

Gel spun which is mono covered braid (no stretch - good to top up spools)

Fused line (fireline - strong, no stretch but thicker and highly visable)

Spectra braid (which is thin, strong but freys easy- good for light fishing)

So back to the origional question \"what is braid\"? Do we use just plain braid? I could quess it's a wooven type of platted line not covered or fused but does it exist and what is it uses?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/29 23:44

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/29 23:49

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/29 23:51

Brian D wrote:

So back to the origional question \"what is braid\"?

does it exist and what is it uses?

Braid,

Used by Tackle shops world wide as bait for fisho's with fat wallets!

Very successful, one of the best baits currently around, very high catch rate.

Yeah right

But thanks again Troy - I was getting realy pissed at the tackle store - it was just a load of crap before.

On the same sort of question: I have a Teroka 800 (Shimano overhead) with 50lb shogun mono and the other day when fishing 90mtre it was crap - so stretchy - I now want to put 60lb fireline or braid over the shogun. What do you suggest, I am going to use it mainly for sharks from the boat until we go to awoonga then it'l be used for trolling?

50lb is all thats needed. Though I wouldn't use Fireline. At high breaking strains it has a tendencey to slip. So spectra is usually used. But if the combo will only be used for trollling the open at Awoonga you may only need 30lb, which Fireline is more suited for. And 30lb is enough for sharks until then as well.

Are you talking about a Tekota 800? If so just stock it with 125yds of 30lb for Barra trolling and just fill it with 50lb mono backing. Don't put the Fireline on until Awoonga comes. Just use the 50lb mono for now. The braid isn't needed for sharks. It's acctualy better without it. So a 125yd spool of pink 30lb Fireline, that's all you will need. (Pink because we all know you like that colour).

Troy

Archived