Wanderers 1770 - September

demarc

27 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Just working out some stuff. What day are you heading up? Do you need help getting ready? Do I need to bring my swag?

Your fishing gear that you will need Rob is basically near identical to what you did with Mark and myself the other week except a bit heavier.

You will be float lining the same way and also dropping patternosters if you want to use that type of rig.

You will need a variety of ball sinker sizes and snapper leads, good quality swivels and hooks.

You will need some 60lb and 80lb quality trace line.

Hooks can be an issue with Reds straightening them out so only buy quality.

I use 8/0 Tru Turn hooks and find them really good and also the Mustad Big Guns.

You gang 2 hooks together with a swivel to make a set of hooks for virtually everything up there.

Jigs also work a treat up there as well as soft plastics.You will fishing mostly between 15m and 70m so you will need jig heads and jigs suitable for those depths if you want to fish with those types lures.

At a guess, most of your fishing will be around 30-40m for the Trout and Red Throat and 55-70m for the Red Emps.

The good thing about 1770 is if you are fishing baits, the gear needed is very minimal.

A good rod and reel with 50lb braid and 80lb leader will catch everything up there.You do need to expect to be blown away a few times though as those Reds are real beasts if they are sitting over heavy ground and the sharks can be extremely brutal as well.

You will need some bedding for the boat as well as the usual junk like sunnies, sunscreen and hat ect.

The boats are well loaded for a 3 day trip with gear, excess fuel, ice and food so try and condense your gear and only take what is needed.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Your fishing gear that you will need Rob is basically near identical to what you did with Mark and myself the other week except a bit heavier.

You will be float lining the same way and also dropping patternosters if you want to use that type of rig.

You will need a variety of ball sinker sizes and snapper leads, good quality swivels and hooks.

You will need some 60lb and 80lb quality trace line.

Hooks can be an issue with Reds straightening them out so only buy quality.

I use 8/0 Tru Turn hooks and find them really good and also the Mustad Big Guns.

You gang 2 hooks together with a swivel to make a set of hooks for virtually everything up there.

Jigs also work a treat up there as well as soft plastics.You will fishing mostly between 15m and 70m so you will need jig heads and jigs suitable for those depths if you want to fish with those types lures.

At a guess, most of your fishing will be around 30-40m for the Trout and Red Throat and 55-70m for the Red Emps.

The good thing about 1770 is if you are fishing baits, the gear needed is very minimal.

A good rod and reel with 50lb braid and 80lb leader will catch everything up there.You do need to expect to be blown away a few times though as those Reds are real beasts if they are sitting over heavy ground and the sharks can be extremely brutal as well.

You will need some bedding for the boat as well as the usual junk like sunnies, sunscreen and hat ect.

The boats are well loaded for a 3 day trip with gear, excess fuel, ice and food so try and condense your gear and only take what is needed.

Thanks mate that is great info. That covers it really well. 

It sounds so awesome. Its been ages since I caught a Red. 

44 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Due to Father's Day being on the 3rd, we will aim for the second week. 

Give you guys a chance to locate the fish and crays for us :whistle: 

Very  Syked for this, see what I did (Sykes reef)

More Dad jokes on the trip. 

Sounds like a Red Heron (see what i did,lol)

They we will have all the crays eaten by the second week but you will still have a whale of a time.

@Drop Bear

For the boat:

• Only bring ball sinkers, I'll provide snapper lead
  • Swag(traditional style, single if you can?) for sleeping on the deck, I'll have a tarp to keep the fish juice clear
  • Limit yourself to 3 rods. I usually bring 1 big overhead for the Reds, small overhead for the shallower water and a rig for flicking plastics and for squid
  • One tackle bag if you can
  • We'll organise food at 1770
  • I'll provide bait(50kg of Mullet and 15kg of pilles)
  • Costs will vary each trip, we'll burn between 150 to 250ltrs(91oct) each trip(depending on location). We'll feed the fish easy 3 - 4kg of mullet($4 a kilo) and 1 - 2kg of pillies. Add on grog for each trip and food. I'd say budget 200 - 250 per trip, which we'll do two in the week if weather allows. We'll target north one trip and hopefully south another. The south trips are shorter(by half sometimes). I have some nice ground wide of Boult Reef which holds Reds, Cod and Trout.
  • Big thing is, less you bring on the boat, the more comfy the trip will be(less to move to go to sleep etc...)

I plan on leaving Thursday(31/08) after work, around 2PM. I'll be staying at a mates place Thursday night, then working from 1770, 9AM till 1:30PM.Friday night is usually a fun night at the pub, and unless the weather is perfect for fishing, I plan on having a big one there.

There has been some changes in accommodation, it'll be sorted in the next few days with Brad once I have a chance to chat to him.

I would also like to do a sinker night soon, maybe on the 26th,  which is a Saturday. Anywho, that's everything I can think of for now.

13 hours ago, demarc said:

Big thing is, less you bring on the boat, the more comfy the trip will be(less to move to go to sleep etc...)

Got it :) I will make it all fit in one bag and leave an eski in the car. 

I would also like to do a sinker night soon, maybe on the 26th,  which is a Saturday. Anywho, that's everything I can think of for now.

Yep keen for a sinker night sounds like a great oportunity but I think I am on Stradbroke island on the 25th and 26th sorry.

Thanks so much for all the info. I do have a bit of lead that I can add to the Sinker Poor (sounds like Singapore...)

Boult Reef which holds Reds

:)

3 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

here are those jigs i was talking about the big one is 5oz and the smaller ones are 1 and a halfoz,they should work a treat up there.

008.jpg

Where did you get these Brad? i have one the same but no idea where i bought it.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:40 AM, Drop Bear said:

Got it :) I will make it all fit in one bag and leave an eski in the car. 

Yep keen for a sinker night sounds like a great oportunity but I think I am on Stradbroke island on the 25th and 26th sorry.

Thanks so much for all the info. I do have a bit of lead that I can add to the Sinker Poor (sounds like Singapore...)

:)

mate was that you i saw at the capalaba produce?

54 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

If you get a Spaniard Lance take a photo with three fingers and chuck it in the Origin comp.  Good luck, hope you nail plenty.

We don't chase them where we go Kelvin unless we get desperate and go catch a few mackeral.

We are not too sure where we are going yet anyway, It will depend on tomorrows weather forecast and then we will make a last minute decision on where we go or what we do.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

What sites does everyone use for trying to predict weather up there? How does everyone feel the 31st-2nd is looking?

1 hour ago, demarc said:

Too far out to guess at the moment... 

Look at bom marine weather get the south Queensland zone up and it will give you 7 days out of predictions 

Archived