Difference In Bass Growth Rates.

rayke1938

2 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

I caught 3 tagged bass at NPD yesterday and they all had varying growth rates.

1 .tagged by myself 28/9/15 grown from 345mm to430mm

2 .tagged by Luke 7/11/13 grown from 400mm to 410 mm

3 .tagged by Andrew 21/11/14 grown from 355cm to 400mm

Cheers

Ray

I find this very interesting thanks for posting this. Very cool 

Hatcheries always attempt to use prime brood stock and change their brood stock at regular intervals.

They also attempt to obtain brood stock from different locations to ensure diversity in the genetics of the fingerlings.

but now seem to source their brood stock from stocked dams.

A big problem now is the lack of truly wild caught fish with wild bass only in the Noosa and rivers in northern NSW all other rivers in Qld have bass that have interbred with escaped impoundment bass.

Cheers

Ray

10 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

A big problem now is the lack of truly wild caught fish with wild bass only in the Noosa and rivers in northern NSW all other rivers in Qld have bass that have interbred with escaped impoundment bass.

Wow interesting.

Is there much genetic difference between Noosa bass and southern Bass? I meal like Mary/Clarence/Murray Cod. 

I caught 4 tagged fish yesterday in NPD, interesting to see the results from people who don't know what they are doing, or just plain cant read a measure.....

1 - out 600days, total length grew 30mm fork length grew 35mm

2 - out 468 days, total length shrunk 15mm, no original recording for fork length

3 - out 755 days total length shrunk 20mm, fork length shrunk 10mm

4 - out 755 days total length grew 5mm, fork length grew 20mm

Only the first fish is a reliable original measurement, done by someone who knows how to tag and how to measure a fish. The 3rd was was a shocking tag job, javelin style tag shoved up in the shoulder, a miracle the fish even lived considering how close to piercing internal organs it was.  4th one looks reasonable at first glance, but the total length only grew 5mm, fork length grew 20mm, original measurement on a 35cm bass showed a difference of 30mm between fork and tail length?

01 V67679.jpg

02 V89484.jpg

03 W16823.jpg

04 V93331.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be taught by the experienced PRFMA members back in 2008, but they have an online course now that you must pass before getting your tagging certificate, which includes evidence you have tagged fish correctly (obviously under supervision of an experienced tagger, using their tags).

A Link to the instructional videos.

http://suntag.org.au/tagging-basics/

Archived