New Battery Needed

natang

Hey guys I am needing a new battery for the boat (90Hp yamaha 2 stroke, sounder and radio that run all day as well). I am looking at the  Century Marine Pro 730 CCA 730 AH 100 vs the Delkor m27 CCA 680 AH 99 both are around $280 so price not issue. The battery i took out has no brand on it but is CCA 720 and no idea what the AH is....... 

I read a few really bad reviews of the Century Marine pro batteries the blue ones..... So I was looking other brands. I really wanted to stay Australian made but if it is not the best quality I don't want to pay $280 for one. One gy said he got two seasons of fishing out of it and it was dead....... The battery in the boat from what I can gather is at least 3-4 years old. I know my landcrusier batteries the kevlar one is 2014 and still going well deep cycle and the cranking battery is a Amaron battery is at least 4 years old as well.

Just now, natang said:

I read a few really bad reviews of the Century Marine pro batteries the blue ones..... So I was looking other brands. I really wanted to stay Australian made but if it is not the best quality I don't want to pay $280 for one. One gy said he got two seasons of fishing out of it and it was dead....... The battery in the boat from what I can gather is at least 3-4 years old. I know my landcrusier batteries the kevlar one is 2014 and still going well deep cycle and the cranking battery is a Green battery shell can't remember brand but is at least 4 years old as well.

But ET uses Century batteries, they must be good :fishing2: 

Personally I buy from a dedicated battery shop that knows their stuff and go by their recommendations. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Natang, I have the exact same setup: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke, sounder, radio. And have been running a Century 720 for over five years now, without a drama, always have power and never have to worry about starting issues. About a two years ago, I noticed the battery would only charge up to about 12.4. I did a recondition on my charger, but after awhile it still wouldn't hold 12.6v. I believe this is is because I've left the battery on for a few days, after putting it away and forgetting; more than any problem with the battery make. The battery now only reads about 12.2v, and won't charge or recondition with my Ctek (just comes up with an error). After this happened I went and bought a second battery, the new Century 730, and am waiting for the original one to die. The thing is it hasn't, after 9 months the original battery still starts my motor at 12.0v, and if I run around all day, the alternator actually charges it back up to 12.4v. Go figure.

I cannot fault the Century batteries, I ran everywhere with that one battery for years and hasn't let me down. I must admit having the two now down the back adds a bit of weight, and I'll be happy when the old gives up and I can go back to one. Either that or go down to two of the smaller 680s

Archived