Mission Point Advice

The Mad Hughesy

Hey everyone,

Ive booked a 2 night trip for later in the year to camp at Mission Point. My biggest concern is leaving the car and trailer at the ramp. Which ramp do you find is the safest around the passage? Donnybrook and Toorbul seems dodgy to me..

Plan to pump some yabbies at Mission point and fish for bread and butter stuff

Any other camping advice or tips for the area would be muchly appreciated.

Also, im thinking of towing a kayak behind the boat. I don't see many issues with it as long as I take it easy...any advice?

18 hours ago, christophagus said:

Donnybrook and Toorbul seems dodgy to me.

Hey Mate,

The Toorbul ramp on the passage side is really good with a pontoon. Its a little flat but I have used it successfully. The Toorbul one around in the creek is pretty hard going. We launched a tinny ok but it has a long flat bit then drops off so a bit tricky on some tides.

I don't know the waters up there very well but sounds like a great trip. Get a Passage Jack or even better Barra....

Good luck and have a ball

• 2 weeks later...

Cant comment on the ramp/carpark situation, but as for Mission Point itself, take LOTS of mozzie repellent. They can be almost thick enough to pick you up and drag you back into the swamps where they live.

Once when I wanted to camp on South Straddie for a few days I canvassed a few houses near the ramp. Concentrated on ones that were on larger blocks with space to spare. I got lucky and found an elderly couple who let me park in their yard.  Could be worth a try.

2 hours ago, deegee12g said:

Cant comment on the ramp/carpark situation, but as for Mission Point itself, take LOTS of mozzie repellent. They can be almost thick enough to pick you up and drag you back into the swamps where they live.

Once when I wanted to camp on South Straddie for a few days I canvassed a few houses near the ramp. Concentrated on ones that were on larger blocks with space to spare. I got lucky and found an elderly couple who let me park in their yard.  Could be worth a try.

Cheers for the advice mate. That’s two people who have told me about the bug problem. 

Back in the day (later 90`s) the shop over from the camp grounds at Donnybrook used to be the contact/office for the grounds and a quite enquiry to those behind the counter could turn into a car and trailer parking spot at the camp grounds for a night or 2,  if the camp grounds weren`t too busy,for a couple of $$ a night. Oddly the grounds never seemed too busy when ever we went up there.:)

Mate we leave our vechile and trailer at the Bongaree ramp across from the caravan park when weve gone up there. The cab drivers hang out in the car park between fares until early in the morning . Never had a problem. You can get left high and dry on a low tide out the front of camp as It goes out about 30 metres from the bank. Have fun its a top spot . 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived