Pelagic Social Gold Coast January 19th To 21st

tugger

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Smashing. Now i need to watch the youtube vids That @Luvit suggested and work out how to set up a spread from the new boat. @aussie123 do you have outriggers? Are they expensive? Can I put them on my tinny? Are they worth it?

I have plenty of outriggers here Robbie and they are a must if you want to fish properly for Marlin.

You don't have to use them but you will catch a lot more with them.

If you have wide gunnels, you could use a set of Gunnel Mount Bases as they are the cheapest option.

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=catalog&parent=422&pg=1

10 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

I have plenty of outriggers here Robbie and they are a must if you want to fish properly for Marlin.

You don't have to use them but you will catch a lot more with them.

If you have wide gunnels, you could use a set of Gunnel Mount Bases as they are the cheapest option.

They look great thanks. I have wide gunnels and will measure up but they should fit.

Hi Robbie,

I agree with Lance regarding the outriggers, if you can afford them.

After just buying a boat,  you may just want to just try the marlin fishing out and see if it's for you. I bought these from Lance for my old boat and they are great quality and I still use them as rod holders today, even though I now have outriggers. I caught marlin with them and you are welcome to use them over the Social weekend if you can't get the riggers set up in time. Best to add lanyards to your rods and the holders because I once dropped one over board. They don't float.

Let me know if you want to use them and I'll throw them in. 

IMG_4383.jpg.99669ff556883caab824bf4ec8e6f508.jpgIMG_4382.jpg.2e59110a9475322e5c932833be85a869.jpg

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep that would be great thanks. I think you are right. I should settle in to the boat for a bit and work out best options... I'm not flush with cash at the moment :) boats! haha.

I'm not trying to put you off the outriggers they are awesome, but if you don't have the funds for them ATM these will suffice.  You will never be flush with money now you have a boat.

14 hours ago, Tybo said:

I'll be down there very early Saturday morning, heading home late afternoon, will try and catch up with everyone, even come see the mooring spot.

What ramp is best to use?

The closest ramps are the 1 next to seaworld and anotjer 1 is near the grand hotel at soutjport. There is also runaway bay marina which is a security patroled area where you pay $20 a day fir use of the ramp and the facilities that's where i go from it is only 5 minutes from the island.

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha yes I know. I moved on from the pakula videos to how to make your own lures videos haha. 

Alot of marlin and other pelagics have been caught this season trolling live baits. A cheaper option when not flash with cash all.you need is a $3 bait jig and then pin them with a big hook and troll them at idle.

Most lures you troll at 5 to 7 knots burning a lot of fuel as well you do cover more.ground this way but still live baiting can.be very successful. I will be anchoring mostly this social.and targeting mackerel and cobia but you again can still manage a marlin on anchor. Just another cheaper option for this social if you are stroped.for cash.

2 hours ago, tugger said:

Alot of marlin and other pelagics have been caught this season trolling live baits. A cheaper option when not flash with cash all.you need is a $3 bait jig and then pin them with a big hook and troll them at idle.

Im getting excited. Heading to Tackle warehouse today. I'm going to get leader, bridle material and hooks for live baiting Marlin. I can't really believe that is happening... yay. 

@tugger Do you still use wire for towing or floating out livies if you are targeting Marlin? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Im getting excited. Heading to Tackle warehouse today. I'm going to get leader, bridle material and hooks for live baiting Marlin. I can't really believe that is happening... yay. 

@tugger Do you still use wire for towing or floating out livies if you are targeting Marlin? 

Targeting marlin you use 150 pound fluro carbon leader minimum as they like to rub you off with the ruff bill when trolling. There is still mackerel about anywhete from 40m deep and shalower it is good to use wire while anchored but use long wire leaders atleast 2m plus long.

5 hours ago, tugger said:

The closest ramps are the 1 next to seaworld and anotjer 1 is near the grand hotel at soutjport. There is also runaway bay marina which is a security patroled area where you pay $20 a day fir use of the ramp and the facilities that's where i go from it is only 5 minutes from the island.

Thanks @tugger. If I was staying overnight, I'd use the Runaway bay ramp, but I'll probably just use the one at Labrador or Loders creek. What time will you be crossing the Seaway? I've never crossed the Seaway in my own boat, so wouldn't mind following someone over. Tides are look good for crossing, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the swell is doing.

My plan is mackerel, mackerel and mackerel. I will be either trolling for them, floatling or live baiting. Billfish aren't really on my radar, but will just wait and see what is biting. I'll be just stoked to be out there, I've never been off the GC in my own boat, so will be just keen to explore. This is code for 'I probably won't catch a thing as I'll never be in one spot long enough'. :D

6 hours ago, tugger said:

That sounds perfect to me. That's where I'll leave from.

6 hours ago, tugger said:

Most lures you troll at 5 to 7 knots burning a lot of fuel as well you do cover more.ground this way but still live baiting can.be very successful. I will be anchoring mostly this social.and targeting mackerel and cobia but you again can still manage a marlin on anchor. Just another cheaper option for this social if you are stroped.for cash.

And if you can't get live baits you can always skip bait fresh dead ones. Small bonito work well

10 hours ago, Tybo said:

Thanks @tugger. If I was staying overnight, I'd use the Runaway bay ramp, but I'll probably just use the one at Labrador or Loders creek. What time will you be crossing the Seaway? I've never crossed the Seaway in my own boat, so wouldn't mind following someone over. Tides are look good for crossing, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the swell is doing.

My plan is mackerel, mackerel and mackerel. I will be either trolling for them, floatling or live baiting. Billfish aren't really on my radar, but will just wait and see what is biting. I'll be just stoked to be out there, I've never been off the GC in my own boat, so will be just keen to explore. This is code for 'I probably won't catch a thing as I'll never be in one spot long enough'. :D

Shame you will miss the overnight activities Saturday night we cook up a big community feed and have a few drinks around the camp fire and each night and arvo we pass on all our fishing tips and rigs etc before the next morning"s fishing. If we can get out Saturday weather wise as sunday might be far better I can show you a few spots on the gold coast to start you off and I will likely cross the seaway just after 0330

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok I will be there ready at 3.30 :) Cant wait. Just a bit unsure of the bar so will try and follow you out. :) @christophagus how does that fit for you?

If the swell stays like it has for the last month it hasn't got over a meter and mostly sat at .5m the seaway at southport is a lot easier than Currumbin ck we went out of

1 hour ago, tugger said:

Sweet so are you looking at fishing the Palmy ?

Not fussed at all, will wait and see what most are up to but just happy to be on the water.

May even drive up seaway end to launch, mind you if conditions stay like this its a quick

squirt to the seaway from Currumbin. 

Looking forward to  meeting a few and learning plenty!

6 hours ago, Blublade said:

Not fussed at all, will wait and see what most are up to but just happy to be on the water.

May even drive up seaway end to launch, mind you if conditions stay like this its a quick

squirt to the seaway from Currumbin. 

Looking forward to  meeting a few and learning plenty!

Same again depending on conditions we will fish either mermaid reef or palmy and gravel patch leaving the seaway early

20 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

It will be weather dependent but I will try and do this Sat and Sunday.

If it starts to blow

I wont go...

Fair call haha

I’ll be staying down there somewhere on the Saturday night, so if the weather permits I’ll be good to go Sunday morning. If the weather turns sour, i might just spend the day land based 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:22 AM, Drop Bear said:

What about Toooona fish like this dogie you caught land based in Wynnum last week?

ty tuna.jpg

Yeah nah, no challenge anymore. Caught this one on 4lb mono just to make it interesting. The waters off Wynnum never looked so good! :lol: 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:50 AM, Drop Bear said:

What about Dollies. These ones you caught in North Pine Dam were crackers! @tugger

tugger dolly.jpg

Geez @tugger, looks like you've been working out. I'll bet you're beating off deckhands with a stick! :P

On 1/5/2018 at 6:56 PM, tugger said:

Shame you will miss the overnight activities Saturday night we cook up a big community feed and have a few drinks around the camp fire and each night and arvo we pass on all our fishing tips and rigs etc before the next morning"s fishing. If we can get out Saturday weather wise as sunday might be far better I can show you a few spots on the gold coast to start you off and I will likely cross the seaway just after 0330

Yeah, I'd love to stay, but have the wifes birthday on Sunday. I'll be down there in the area at 330, ready to cross. I'll probably follow @DropBear down.

Getting pumped!

Archived