Small Tinnie Fishing

mteverest92

Hey all ,

im Jack ! New member and first post :) have just purchased my first boat (tinnie) 10ft (3m) roof topper with a 3.5hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard (photo attached) . I live in the Brisbane area and basically after some salt water locations that I can catch some different fish beside the bread and butter bream and flathead etc , happy to drive upto 3 hours but just locations for a boat of my size even grids :)  

Thanks heaps

819B5B4E-22F5-4CC0-8125-654AE082F037.jpeg

Whereabouts in Brisbane mate? Welcome to the site - you'll get some good advice on here. Off the top of my head Wellington Pt is nice and close to gain access to reef fish (grass emperor, squire, possibly cod and tuskies). And if you launch at either Pinkenba or Colmslie you'll have access to wharves that you could catch jewies, squire, cod & threadfin salmon, along with bream & flathead.

You'd want less than 10 knot winds for Wello, but you only have to travel a few hundred metres from the ramp to the drop off to be in with a chance. Plenty of kayak fisherman do just that.

Other options include fishing for bullsharks (and threadies if you know when/where to target them - I don't .....) in the western reaches of the Brisbane River (plenty of info on here - look up Kookaburra Park for instance). And also fishing the Logan River, plus spots like the Coomera River (jacks, trevally, etc) or Nerang River (thumping summer whiting). So basically pick a species/spot, research and have fun :) 

In a 10 ft tinny you will have to be careful in the brisbane river as a lot of the larger boats and ships can throw up a large wash. I personally would not go past the pipeline in boggy creek in the brisbane river.

Kookaburra park can be iffy when the ski boats are active so I would only venture upstream in the no ski zone.

Just take it easy until you get some experience and seriously think about getting a 12 ft boat as 10 ft is rather small and unstable for a beginner. The motor will still be adequate on a 12 ft boat.

Cheers

Ray

1 minute ago, rayke1938 said:

In a 10 ft tinny you will have to be careful in the brisbane river as a lot of the larger boats and ships can throw up a large wash. I personally would not go past the pipeline in boggy creek in the brisbane river.

Kookaburra park can be iffy when the ski boats are active so I would only venture upstream in the no ski zone.

Just take it easy until you get some experience and seriously think about getting a 12 ft boat as 10 ft is rather small and unstable for a beginner. The motor will still be adequate on a 12 ft boat.

good advice there Rayke.

Mt everest there are still lots of options for you to try. I would try places like logan river and around the broadwater. 

Also up in the pumistone passage in the smaller creeks. Lots of crabbing to be done and lots of flatheads. 

Archived