Maiden Voyage For Quampie

Drop Bear

Not sure what Sam has or how you went on, but these seem to be the budget friendly variety 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Precision-Pak-Insulated-Fish-Bag/263385832642?epid=680736119&hash=item3d5304dcc2:g:0LYAAOSwDkVaMRh0

As Wayne said they can cost a lot more than that. I'd just have it rolled/folded flat and stowed and then just pull it out and put some of your ice in it when it comes time to use it - if need be you could have a second smaller esky just to store your ice for when needed to put into the bag.

On 10 January 2018 at 3:26 PM, aussie123 said:

These are a really good bag Robbie.

Angus has one if you want to check them out.

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=catalog&parent=332&pg=1

This is what i need for the jet ski, if and when i get a decent fish!

Was highly considering this brand anybody have any other thoughts?

Will be buying one in the next week, any feed back greatly appreciated.

8 hours ago, Blublade said:

This is what i need for the jet ski, if and when i get a decent fish!

Was highly considering this brand anybody have any other thoughts?

Will be buying one in the next week, any feed back greatly appreciated.

If Lance stocks it you can be assured its not crap.

cheers

Ray

6 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

If Lance stocks it you can be assured its not crap.

cheers

Ray

Thanks Ray.

They are a great chiller bag and they hold ice really well.

They have been out of stock for 5 weeks now due to the huge demand for them but the new shipment is due to arrive within a week hopefully.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:27 AM, Drop Bear said:

Sounds perfect. Do you sell these?

I run these in my tinny Robbie and the system works really well.

Pump with built in float switch

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=15168&parent=168&vendorid=2

3 way automatic bilge switch

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=13976&parent=133&vendorid=2

If you install a system like this, do not wire them into the battery switch as you want this to still run when you cut the power to the boat at night if you are someone that does that.

If you are like me and leave the power turned on until you put the boat back on the trailer, you can wire it into the main switch.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Not sure what Sam has or how you went on, but these seem to be the budget friendly variety 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Precision-Pak-Insulated-Fish-Bag/263385832642?epid=680736119&hash=item3d5304dcc2:g:0LYAAOSwDkVaMRh0

As Wayne said they can cost a lot more than that. I'd just have it rolled/folded flat and stowed and then just pull it out and put some of your ice in it when it comes time to use it - if need be you could have a second smaller esky just to store your ice for when needed to put into the bag.

This was the exact one I bought off Sam. I originally wanted one of the chiller bags that Lance sells, and probably will get one eventually. But for $15 price tag Sam sold me his, I simply couldn't refuse. Great option just to keep in the boat.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:53 AM, aussie123 said:

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=15168&parent=168&vendorid=2

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=13976&parent=133&vendorid=2

If you install a system like this, do not wire them into the battery switch as you want this to still run when you cut the power to the boat at night if you are someone that does that.

If you are like me and leave the power turned on until you put the boat back on the trailer, you can wire it into the main switch.

I will buy all that. Thanks mate. 

On 12/01/2018 at 11:53 AM, aussie123 said:

Ordered this today. I need 3m on hose if its not too late and do you do flush mounted ends for side of boat?

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ordered this today. I need 3m on hose if its not too late and do you do flush mounted ends for side of boat?

Thanks for your order Robbie.

I sent the order first thing this morning so I did not know about the hose.

You will get the pump and 3 way switch  tomorrow sometime.

When you say flush mounted ends, do you mean thru hull skin fittings?

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

So Robbie, has the bait tank got inlet and outlet up the top and a drain into the hull down the bottom? And what are you using to stop fish blocking the outlet? 

So the inlet is at the bottom but it currently has the supplied riser.

20180117_064200.thumb.jpg.db0e64a4f4d3b0b0a3799b252e642827.jpg

I will swap this for a non return valve in time. The outlet is at the top. Inlet is 19mm outlet is 28mm.  There is a stainless steel tube hanging out the bottom of the bilge pump that pushes water into the tank as you drive along.

20180117_064142.thumb.jpg.2223d727f7efc527d61fe95e75c224f8.jpg

20180117_064146.thumb.jpg.ff45d84baebad0f87c355466881e5174.jpg

Lance was very clever to tell me to put an inline tap so I can regulate the flow as it was pouring in too fast and filling the boat. 

I don't have anything to stop fish blocking the outlet yet.

20180117_064209.thumb.jpg.1789625dbfafcf92019e1848294dbf45.jpg

I was thinking of making something like getting an old plastic measuring cup thing and drilling holes and simply sicaflexing it in place. Any suggestions?

I have put a bung in the bottom so I can drain it into the hull when finished for the day. (after flushing it for ages) The hose is lone enough so I can pop it over the side if I want to drain most of it out not into the boat. The transom is higher than the bottom of the tank so didn't want to cut a hole in the boat, especially as it would need to be really low. Sea trials today when Daughter Drop Bear wakes up :) will head to the river for a bit of a play. 

I have also dropped the transducer about 5mm. It is working well but i get an intermittent signal in choppy water at speed. 

Your inlet setup is useless like that Robbie as you will never keep slimies alive and most other types of bait will also struggle.

You really need 2 x 90 degree bends at the top and take that inlet back to the bottom of the tank with the end of the pipe fully open to get full flow from it.

Then drill a small hole in the top between the 90 degree bends so the tank does not siphon out when you turn the pump off.

The pump bracket is also too low as it is at risk of hitting the bottom or anything that may run under the boat as well as lines tangling on it.

That bend is designed to tuck up under the hull.Have it set so it sits only 1-2mm off the hull.

Turn that pump 90 degrees as well so the pipework and wiring lays hard up against the hull to stop lines and fish tangling in it.

You can put a saddle on it all so it stays nice and neat.

Shorten the outlet pipe and zip tie it to the inlet pipe or motor bracket.

You can get those black thru hull fittings (aka skin fitting) from bunnings or irrigation shops that also have an internal thread to screw in a proper strainer guard. They make a gridded plastic one which is perfect for live bait as they let all the scales and slime flow through.

The stainless mesh ones will clog up so stay away from those although they can be handy when keeping live baits like freshwater shrimp or saltwater yabbies and worms alive.

We can go through your system down Wavebreak if you like and show you how to get things setup and working correctly.

Same for the tranny, we can have a look at that and see where things are going wrong.

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Your inlet setup is useless like that Robbie as you will never keep slimies alive and most other types of bait will also struggle.

You really need 2 x 90 degree bends at the top and take that inlet back to the bottom of the tank with the end of the pipe fully open to get full flow from it.

Perfect. I can do that quickly and easily. Great tip.

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

The pump bracket is also too low as it is at risk of hitting the bottom or anything that may run under the boat as well as lines tangling on it.

Ok it is as high as it can go on the mounting bracket. I will screw some cutting board material to the bracket and put it on that. Thanks. Great tip.

Archived