Downsizing The Kayak - Opinions Sought

kmcrosby78

I'm looking at downsizing my kayak from a Prowler 13 to something a bit smaller. Going to go take a look at some at BCF and Anaconda tomorrow to get a feel for size, but thought I'd also check people's opinion on here regarding size and also good brands to buy.  Would still like to be able to use it not too far of the shore in places like Wellington Pt but the ability to easily access smaller creeks, etc would also be handy, as well as easily store it inside holiday accommodation (if I can buy one in time I'll be doing just that at Noosaville in 3 weeks time - did this with the Prowler last year but was a tight squeeze).

Looking at Gumtree at the moment there's a Malibu Stealth 9 that is a good buy - hopefully BCF have one I can look at tomorrow. Then there's some 3 metre options.  I'm 6ft 4inch so needs to be big enough ......

So ....... what have you got, what do you use it for and what would you recommend. Want to spend less than $500 - may or may not transfer the sounder over from the Prowler.

Personally I would stick to using the prowler if you are planning some inshore fishing. Once you've been in a stable yak like that and head off in some chop it can feel pretty unstable. I tried the same in a smaller yak (usually have viking profish) and I didn't enjoy the experience. I guess you've thought of that anyway. As far as smaller/cheaper yaks go  I've heard of lots of people say that are happy with dragon kayaks and they are not too expensive. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/capalaba/kayaks-paddle/easter-sale-new-dragon-slayer-3mtr-fishing-kayak/1168250719

Around the $500 mark and think they have them in Brisbane. I have seen people take them into the ocean, just not sure how stable they feel.

Thanks guys - bit of looking to do (today got too busy so next weekend or during the week). @Angus - what type & size do you have and any advice on size for me? I'm actually contemplating just ending up with two as my son Liam isn't going to stay small forever so could always transition into my smaller one - allowing me to cover both options in the meantime.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Thanks guys - bit of looking to do (today got too busy so next weekend or during the week). @Angus - what type & size do you have and any advice on size for me? I'm actually contemplating just ending up with two as my son Liam isn't going to stay small forever so could always transition into my smaller one - allowing me to cover both options in the meantime.

Yeah I just have the assassin. They do a lot of sales and in my honest opinion the best value for money.

I know a few cheaper brands but there accesories/parts always crappier. 

Also the Freak sports has a nicer poly. A few similar looking competitors have harder but more brittle poly. 

As far as after market the Freak boys are sorted as well with an actual store and heaps of after market customisation available. 

Anyway my 2 cents.

Angus

P.S. I would def recommend the 2 kayak option (see if you can swing a deal). I would always suggest 2 small creek bashers over a double kayak. Far more user friendly both solo and as a pair. Try helping a kid from the front of a double let alone the issues with casting and hooks etc.

Archived