Shell Help!!!

Drop Bear

Hi,

I am looking for somewhere to store some oyster shells for about 7 months initially and hopefully permanently. Council has been initially uncooperative. 

We need to store shells for a minimum of 4 months. It needs to be outdoors in the sun. Preferably on the ground rather than on a slab or bitumen. It doesn't need to be too large. 10m x 5m would be enough but would prefer 20m x 10m.

The shells do smell, I have been to the facility at Pumicestone and its not too bad but they would be too smelly to have next to houses.

We can build free standing lockable fences and will do site clean up. 

If anyone has some leads on a place could you please let me know.

Thanks

Have you thought about maybe storing them over on the land section of Green Island? There's some dry land over there in the sun that you lay them out on. You'd risk them perhaps being vandalised, but you wouldn't think anyone that lands there would care about a big pile of oyster shells.

17 hours ago, Tybo said:

Have you thought about maybe storing them over on the land section of Green Island? There's some dry land over there in the sun that you lay them out on. You'd risk them perhaps being vandalised, but you wouldn't think anyone that lands there would care about a big pile of oyster shells.

Initially we will have about 10m3 but hope to upscale this in about 2 years to much much more. Logistically it would be great if I could just turn up in my ute and grab shells from the wholesalers then dump somewhere close. I can get 3.5m3 per week from Shuck It in Lytton. This will be heaps for the first trial. 

In 10 years time I hope we will have government funding like they do in the states and get contractors to pick up and dump all the shells in Brisbane. A bit like green waste recycling.

I have estimates of about 15m3 per week of just the caps/lids of the shells from all of Brisbane's oyster opening places. The caps or lids are really small and sit flat compared to the actual shell that they oysters are presented in so that really is a lot of shell going into land fill that really should go back into the bay. 

One day one day.

12 hours ago, Angus said:

So i have friends with land and reckon i can arrange. Only catch is not local which makes it hard for regular adding to the pile.

Ill try and think of something more local...

Yes local to Lytton/Murrarrie/Tingalpa would be ideal. 

I had a dream last night... imagine if we delivered the shells to free range Chicken Egg farms. The chickens would love to pick over the shell and would clean them for us as well as the farmers getting free shell Grit...

Dunno if it would work but in the long run if you could set up a system like this its a big win win. The shells want turning over, they attract crickets and worms for the chickens to eat...

Archived