Simo68

Month: March (23rd)

Reporters Username:Simo68

Report Name:Jew come here often?

URL Link:

After fudging around the LBG for the last few months and dealing with weekend traffic and gazing at puffer fish while waiting for a bite, it was great to get an awesome invite from AFO legend Drop Bear to have a squiz around the Port.

I had boasted about a secret flatties hot spot ‘the pipe’ and that was tempting enough to get a gig on his boat for the day.

My son Tayt and I had completed a LBG reckie the weekend before and met an old Polish sea-dog fishing the banks at Pinkenba who told us about another hot spot (although he had more tales about brown/red belly snakes around that area):276_dragon:. We also saw a heap of signage ‘snakes beware’, so throw some caution if you head out that way LBG-ing. Heaps of Fishos have told us about going to the end of Main Beach Road and walking through to fish at the point, however we drove all around that area (and we are not shy of a bit of fence hopping in the name of recreational fishing) and there was no way through - heaps of construction/security/temp fencing that didn't make it possible).

Anyway, back to yesterday. After some serious rain Thursday night:333_cloud_rain:, I wasn’t expecting too much, it would be good to suss out a few spots for another day. Drop Bear had other ideas though and soon we were powering around the Port area on our first mission of the day.

For LBG - go over the Gateway to Pinkenba, up Route 25 Bancroft Road (which turns into Main Beach Road on a right angled corner in the road) and turn right into Brownlee Street - which will take you right down to a rough car park, you will see a telegraph pole about 15m out, this is all sand and a good spot if you have no boat.

Soft plastics were first cab off the rank, found a shallow sandy bottom next to a deep hole on the finder, and I hooked into a warm-up Bream first up on a Minnow, we then cracked on to pastures new.
Warm-up

Drop Bear took us through a labyrinth of mangroves for some bait collection, it was at this point I thought meeting a bloke over the internet perhaps wasn’t such a good idea, but I came out unscathed, so all good.

Its been a while since I used a cast net (give or take 20 years), Drop Bear gave me scores of 1/10, 4/10, 6/10, 2/10 :221_see_no_evil: but I managed to pull in a few livies which would do us for the next few hours. We got beeped at by the river police and graciously moved aside.20180323_141012.thumb.jpg.ad090afdf56a33e522ee7b0da4586591.jpg

Blood worms/Pillies and a healthy selection of live-bait delicacies were on offer now and we put some serious graft into Clara Rock – SNAPPED OFF HARD, but that just made me want more!

Clara Rock is in the Brisbane River, just upstream from the mouth of the boat passage. https://mapcarta.com/16688644 ‘Yoda’ told me only an hour or so either side of the tide was mint, as it can be tricky when tide is in full swing. Having Drop Bear's R2DT electric motor was awesome, keeping us well positioned in our selected GPS location.

The it was ON, slightly regretting rod selection at this point (whiting rod with real whip tip), but no turning back now. Some expert tutuilage and crafty boat handling from Drop Bear supported me to bring it home.

20180323_143606.thumb.jpg.1fd93f4146c66693e6f13361852ed1ef.jpg

Check out this beauty, first ever Jew fish (76cm) !!!  So glad I hooked up with ATO a few months back, now I am back on a more :worship:righteous path in life.

20180323_144118.thumb.jpg.30f669451a6a16a3b16d18785f247542.jpg

'The Pipe' I don't know why my son Tayt called this secret spot the pipe, as there isnt really a pipe here - however it is a weird spot and we found it to be a spot filled with mystery and closely guarded by Port Stormtroopers. Its location is the inlet off Lucinda Drive as you get to Fishermans Island.If you look at the map its in the triangle point at the bottom of the island.  The beauty in this spot is there is a man-made lake the other side of the road, and a channel comes down with run-off at each change in the tide = monster flatties (apparently). Forget LBG here, as the fences and security is on high alert.

Good signs when we arrived, as a turtle poked his head up to say G-day and a few sneaky cormorants had beat us there and were in front of us in the queue.

Edged closer to the sluice gates on the channel and something smashed Drop Bear’s livebait ......more than once, one bait returned had a bite mark out of its back – we had no idea what we were facing!!

Just as things were getting exciting in this spot, up rolled Port Stormtrooper, fiddling around like those little black midges. “you are OK in the boat, but don’t step on the land”, OK cheers, so we are in a boat and not on the land, so fish-on. “you are treading a f-yyyyne line, you are OK but it’s a F-yyyne line”. We made a pledge to come back here, allowing for a little more time on out-going tide.

So how good is AFO to connect fishos, share experiences, have the odd brag (see above pic).What an awesome day, made a new mate, caught my first Jew, got PB score of 6/10 for throwing a cast net.

Need to upgrade my Esky now ive improved my hunter-gatherer skills.

IMG_6633.jpg.b2a083fb7c2a2af13092692cc351b270.jpg

Cooked it up in the oven, with the kids running round saying "Jew want fries with that" - no respect!!! Ate the cheeks and one side, simply baked in the oven with some butter, olive oil and coriander, didn't need anything more.

Gleaned off the rest of the flesh for Thai fishcakes tonight: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/classic-thai-fish-cakes

Kudos to Drop Bear - living the dream

Simo

20180323_110835.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

Is that your first report? It is the best first report I have ever read. Great work!. I'm glad you had a good day.

Sorry for scaring you in the mangroves Deliverance style. :devil::frantics: Not sorry...

Hopefully Tayt can come on the next one and I will have 2 deckies out fishing me :)

Thanks for the coffee too. 

• Simo68 changed the title to Jew come here often?

yeah I left that out of the report, never heard a clown use the 'C' word so another first for the day!!  Good luck with the boat buying today, fingers crossed for you, soon you will be able to give up FT work and become a pro fisho!  dreaming of course.

Archived