Our Black Bass Trip Into West Papua

aussie123

2 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sensational report Lance - well done to Stu and yourself for pulling off such a complicated and yet ultimately rewarding trip. Beautiful part of the world.

It was a massive trip Kelvin and for the most part, everything that was planned worked out well.

We did have a few unexpected things change on us which is hard to know in advance but we worked through the issues and all worked out great in the end.

I expected a great report but that is incredible. What an amazing thing to do. You left out a lot of the tough things you would have had to put up with like mozzies. 

I will be dreaming of that fishing hut by the river forever now and i think i will need to do a trip like this next year. Sorry in advance for all the questions you are gonna get. :)

Thanks so much for sharing this unique and extream adventure. 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I expected a great report but that is incredible. What an amazing thing to do. You left out a lot of the tough things you would have had to put up with like mozzies. 

I will be dreaming of that fishing hut by the river forever now and i think i will need to do a trip like this next year. Sorry in advance for all the questions you are gonna get. :)

Thanks so much for sharing this unique and extream adventure. 

Thanks Robbie.

The mozzies were no worse than anywhere over here.We had them for about an hour each night just on dark and i think twice we found a few sandflies while out fishing.

Those huts are amazing and I did put an order in for one to be built up in the lake area that we fished,lol.

I don't know if you could ever find a charter to do something like this though so it is probably something that you would need to just go and do yourself like we have done twice now.

Next year if things are still going ok for me, we might look at doing it again but with a few extra mates tagging along.

5 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Thanks Robbie.

The mozzies were no worse than anywhere over here.We had them for about an hour each night just on dark and i think twice we found a few sandflies while out fishing.

Those huts are amazing and I did put an order in for one to be built up in the lake area that we fished,lol.

I don't know if you could ever find a charter to do something like this though so it is probably something that you would need to just go and do yourself like we have done twice now.

Next year if things are still going ok for me, we might look at doing it again but with a few extra mates tagging along.

Available. Happy to be camp cook too :)

1 hour ago, tugger said:

Just epic the scenery the rivers the waterfalls the journey the huts the fishing the adventure 

Once we crossed the river bar Mark, we had to navigate 40km of rivers and creeks to reach our destination.We travelled through 3 major rivers and a number of small connecting creeks, the scenery was breathtaking and the pictures do not do it any justice.

• 2 years later...
21 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

Wow. Thanks for bringing this back up Robbie. In my 4yr absence from AFO, I didn't get to see this report.

What an amazing trip and I'm gutted that I'll never get a chance to talk to Lance about this in person.

yep he spoke about it with such youthful excitement. It has been stuck in my head for a long time. 

One day I hope to do something similar. You would need a lot of local knowledge to pull it off. 

While they caught some cracking fish, you can see by the photos that the trip was more about the adventure.