North Stradbroke Island Newbie

Spotto

I am spending the weekend on North Stradbroke Island for the first time, I am told there are lots of places to fish, we are only there for 2 days so I don't want to waste time trying to find a productive area.

Any advice will be much appreciated, I will be fishing with my elderly father-in-law so we can't be climbing on rocks etc. but open to pretty much all other locations. Father-in-law is old school and only

uses traditional bait but I am keen to throw a few lures and plastics.

25 minutes ago, Spotto said:

I am spending the weekend on North Stradbroke Island for the first time, I am told there are lots of places to fish, we are only there for 2 days so I don't want to waste time trying to find a productive area.

Any advice will be much appreciated, I will be fishing with my elderly father-in-law so we can't be climbing on rocks etc. but open to pretty much all other locations. Father-in-law is old school and only

uses traditional bait but I am keen to throw a few lures and plastics.

Hey Spotto. Sounds like a nice weekend. Where are you going? Point Lookout is nice. You could try for some flathead there if you didnt want to fish from the rocks. Also Dart, whiting and bream in the gutters.  

1 hour ago, Spotto said:

Thanks Drop Bear, we are staying at Point Lookout but will have a car so we can travel if needed, are you saying we can just throw a line from the beach up at Point Lookout ? 

Absolutely. If you want to head to main you can do that too but we normally hang out around the rocks between Deadman's beach and Frenchman's beach. No need to go onto the rocks, you can cast from the sand. Flathead lie in wait in the shallows. Cast out by all means but don't overlook the shallow water only a foot or so deep. Big bream, Dart and whiting are eager to take worms. If you can catch worms there are plenty at Deadman's. 

Soft plastics are great there @Angus has done a lot of reports on this area using this technique. I will try and dig some up but please use the search tool. There is so much good stuff there. 

Have a great time and please take some pics and post up a report even if you don't catch anything. Anywhere on this map is great to have a go. 

pt lookout.png

Might depend on how mobile your father in law is because other than Cylinder Beach, most of the beaches at the point require a little bit of a trek to get to the water. Cylinder has a car park at beach level but it is still a bit of a hike to the water, especially at low tide and to be honest, I have never done well there.

A fallback plan might be to fish off the jetty or rock wall at Amity?  I hope you enjoy your weekend there, it is a top spot.

12 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Might depend on how mobile your father in law is because other than Cylinder Beach, most of the beaches at the point require a little bit of a trek to get to the water. Cylinder has a car park at beach level but it is still a bit of a hike to the water, especially at low tide and to be honest, I have never done well there.

A fallback plan might be to fish off the jetty or rock wall at Amity?  I hope you enjoy your weekend there, it is a top spot.

Yep good call mate. 

Mate please do a forum search option as I have dozens of reports on the area.

Although a little bit rocky between deadmans and frenchmans beaches would be ideal.

I try to be as informative as possible in my reports at times so check them out and if they leave any questions hanging let me know.

A few recent ones:

Cheers.

Angus

Archived