Bait Reef Off Wellington Point?

Gangemstyle

Hi folks,

Yesterday morning I was out at Wellington Point. The place was deserted. It's kinda surreal. I noticed a cluster of boats about 1km northeast of the last set of channel markers. Obviously they didn't come from the point. They weren't there very long either, maybe 15 mins before they scattered one by one. I thought about motoring over to see what the fuss was about but hooked one of these that took a while to subdue and release. Caught my fair share of whalers :( but a hammerhead, definitely a first.

P_20180501_081251.jpg.8566fdacbcd713317b5311e7cc3f7ce9.jpg

Does anyone if there's a bait reef out there? They were a long way from the drop off.

Thanks.

Thanks for all your replies! Yeah, you're right, they're probably either looking for prawns (I didn't even think of that! Doh) or participants in the ongoing 'herd mentality' experiment. Drop Bear, I reckon your nephew would have gotten a kick out of the hammerhead. It sure is one weird looking critter. Only a baby, but on 10lb mono it took ages to bring to the boat.

On 5/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, Gangemstyle said:

Drop Bear, I reckon your nephew would have gotten a kick out of the hammerhead. It sure is one weird looking critter. Only a baby, but on 10lb mono it took ages to bring to the boat.

You are right. He is a city slicker from Sydney. Great kid but loves an adventure. 

Archived