Get The Gaf!!!!!!!!!!

Drop Bear

Last year at 1770 i missed the gaf shot on @aussie123's cobia and put the tip of the gaf through the glow bead above the hook!!!

It worked out in the end and i have gaffed plenty of fish with all of them getting in the boat (oops perhaps i just put the mocker on...) but i realised i have never been shown how to correctly gaf a fish. In png the guide came over the top with a big swing. I have always tried to come from underneath...

Head, gills or gut? 

Im on my phone so dont want to type too much but can you give me your best advice???

I have always come from underneath and aimed for the gut just behind the head it is the softest spot on most fish and you don't spoil any flesh you want to eat it just takes practise and patience to get better at gaffing and the fish needs to be led along side of the boat gently

I do the same as @tugger for that same reasons but also because the hook point of the gaff is pointing away from the boat when you pull the fish towards you. 

If you come over the top and pull the fish in there is a very real risk as it struggles that the gaff point can damage fibreglass boats and scratch up an aluminium boat badly. Stickers and wraps don’t  stop a sharp point of the gaff. 

15 hours ago, tugger said:

Don't worry I have seen Lance thrashing this poor cobia with the gaff it just gave up from the flogging it got from the gaff he did finally pin it and I think we got that on go pro somewhere hehehe

I remember that feisty little sucker.

That one would have been a good lesson on how to not gaff a fish Robbie, lmfao :frantics:

Archived