christophagus

2018 Suburbs Of Origin Round One - 8th - 17th Of June

Round one folks, here it is! Remember folks, this is a just for fun and bragging rights comp, no money, no physical prizes, just the glory of winning! The teams as it stands now are as follows...let me know if you are not on the list but want to fish

TEAM NORTHSIDE  @christophagus

TEAM SOUTHSIDE 

To summarize the comp... 9 target species; Bream, Bass, Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Jew/Threadfin, Golden Perch (yellowbelly), Tailor and Pelagic (Tuna, Mackerel). For a team to win the round, they must hold at least the biggest 5 out of the 9 species. To submit an entry, simply post a crystal clear photo of the fish you caught on a brag mat with the unique item (to be advised on Monday night) with the size of the fish clearly visible! Please note, legal fish only will be accepted! All submissions must be posted in this topic by 7pm on Sunday night Happy Fishing and tight lines. Unique item will be released on Thursday night. SO watch this space!

UNIQUE ITEM : Peace symbol with your fingers

To brush up on the rules, please se the below topic link

BREAM - 32cm - @Doyley - TEAM NORTH

BASS -50- @Dinodadog - TEAM NORTH

FLATHEAD - 80cm - @fishaman - TEAM NORTH

WHITING - 36cm - @Doyley - TEAM NORTH

SNAPPER - @oldscaley 56cm - TEAM SOUTH

GOLDEN PERCH - 

TAILOR -

JEW/THREADFIN SALMON -

PELAGIC (Tuna, Mackerel) -

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Onya @Old Scaley.  We've got one and they've got none, doo dah, doo dahhh!!!!!! 

Please login or register to view this image
  I'm pretty confident @Cobiaaddict won't be able to outdo that beast .....  

Nope i had a krispy kreme session yesterday.  

.  We all had a case of the dropsies . But thatz fishing. Well done all who caught fish.

Great flattie @Fishaman -  as I scrolled through I though it out of character that your best was 48cm ......  80cm will take a world of beating. Great snapper @Cobiaaddict - caught today?  Much better than a Krispy Kreme

20 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great flattie @Fishaman -  as I scrolled through I though it out of character that your best was 48cm ......  80cm will take a world of beating. Great snapper @Cobiaaddict - caught today?  Much better than a Krispy Kreme

Friday morning mate. Just before the wind died out. Come from Woody Point that one. I didnt even know about this little comp at that stage.

On 09/06/2018 at 7:46 PM, timtam_ said:

Spewing i missed the topic before this mornings session. Decky #2 landed this thick flatty going 61cm!! I know it won't count but hey, they're there! Thats two weekends in a row with flatties in the boat over 58cm's. Should give the Southsiders a kick up the bum this year... uppa the north. 

Please login or register to view this attachment

I  can see 2 fingers making a peace sign 

Nice one Steve, and don't worry too much about the cr@ppy pic, it's hard to get a 78cm snapper to lie still, I'm sure @christophagus will believe you, you've got a good reputation on this site

On a serious note, great squire, exactly the same as my PB bay/river one.

Caught Saturday thought I had filleted this guy but didn't (too many golds and rums watching the wallabies smash the Irish

Does this count in the whiting stakes for Northside? @christophagus

13 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

okay so this is serious yeah? got to get my game shoes on for the Northside ... 

very serious

I'm gonna make a trophy today. Don't expect WWF type cup haha

It can be a perpetual type thing

9 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Caught Saturday thought I had filleted this guy but didn't (too many golds and rums watching the wallabies smash the Irish

Does this count in the whiting stakes for Northside? @christophagus

Can't see why not. Seems like we are getting a toweling down south so far

6 hours ago, Doyley said:

Just a thought... maybe the bbq at the end of the series could be held in the winners backyard. As a reward, less travel for the winners.  For eg. southsiders win the bbq is held on the south side of the river.  

That's a great idea - and the loser's cook

7 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Not sure if this counts...nice by catch 

Not sure if it is a Bream, Bass, Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Jew/Threadfin, Golden Perch (yellowbelly), Tailor and Pelagic (Tuna, Mackerel) soooooo  its @christophagus's comp so its up to him.

15 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Not sure if it is a Bream, Bass, Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Jew/Threadfin, Golden Perch (yellowbelly), Tailor and Pelagic (Tuna, Mackerel) soooooo  its @christophagus's comp so its up to him.

It does have a flat head .......... nice eating fish!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By Old Scaley
      With a fairly ordinary forecast for the rest of the week I thought I should sneak out for a quick fish today before the wind kicks in again. I haven’t fished the Port of Brisbane for a while so decided to give it a crack today on the bottom of the tide since that was conveniently happening around midday, so I could have a sleep in and a leisurely breakfast and miss the peak hour traffic.
       I needed to clean out the freezer of old fish frames so I took the pots for a swim as well, although I was not confident. Had some old pillies to get rid of as well so planned a mix of bait and plastics fishing. Dropped the pots about 10am and then did a bit of bait fishing hoping for a snapper or two. Moved around.a bit between regular spots for no joy so decided to target flathead on the last of the runout. First cast, and first lift of the rod and I was connected to something with a bit of weight. I was fishing light with 6lb braid and 6lb leader on my favourite plastics outfit (2-6lb Samaki Zing Rod with a 1000 Daiwa Presso Iprimi reel) and this fish was giving me a good tussle. I got her up close to the boat and could see it was a good flattie. She didn’t like seeing the boat or the landing net so I had a number of false starts with the landing net. At that point I was starting to wish I had a deckie to manage the net. Eventually I was able to slip the net under her and get her into the boat. A nice fish just on 70cm.

An old fashioned Squidgy Wriggler in rum red did the damage. The drift was slow because there was not a lot of run in the water but I repeated the drift a couple of times, but didn’t get another hit. Went back to searching for snapper but could only find bream, mostly about 28cm, but I did hook this fatso.

Please login or register to view this attachment The photo doesn’t do it justice. It was only 34cm but fat as a football. No doubt there will be heaps of fat bream around as we go into spawning time. 
      The wind was very kind today and the conditions were beautiful. No crabs, but that was no real surprise. Another great day on the water.
    • By Breaming with bro
      Sorry  for ripping off your title aus-bne-fisho lol
      anyway yesterday I rocked up to my local river which is about 2km from where I live at 3pm .I had 2 rods set up a bait rod and a lure rod
      bait rod daiwa aird x 2-4kg and shimano cazna 2500 with 10lb braid and 10lb leader 
      lure rod atomic arrowz bream surface rod 2pc and daiwa aird lt 2000 with 6lb braid and 6lb leader 
      Anyway i baited up my bait rod with some garfish I caught and froze not to long ago placed my rod on the wooden planks the tiny wharf was made out of with my bail arm open so my rod doesn’t go in the water  Then set up my lure rod with some 2.5 slim swims no hits for around 40 minutes then all of the sudden I see line coming off my bait rod a fish is taking the bait I quickly but carefully place down my lure rod and walk over to my bait rod the fish is still running  but slowly I set the hook keep in Mind most legal fish feel small on this rod anyway I set the hook and  get a few  really good headshakes and a little run which tells the fish is decent as I get the fish closer to the wharf all of the sudden the hook comes flying out of the water and the fish got away and the disappointment hits my like fraight train I then once again bait up the rod and throw a cast 40 metres off the wharf theres a drop off where sometimes flathead bass and school jew hang around I then pick up my lure rod and start flicking around my slim swim once again 15 minutes later no hits I see a few mullet jump out of the water and a bowel wave following them I quickly cast out and get right in front of the bowel wave perfect cast soon as the lure hit the water I see my line quickly shoot I set the hook and hook up to a decent size flathead which was 48cm I find that a bit strange because the water was fairly deep where the mullet were jumping out I fought a jewfish or a small bull shark was chasing them the flathead would have been right on top of the water because soon as the lure hit the water I got hits It didn’t even sink to the bottom or even close to the bottom anyway I brain spike it and bleed it out I get a few more hits on the bait rod as the sky darkens but only little fish they didn’t get hooked . Next time I do this I will bring my phone for photos also I wasn’t sure to put this in saltwater or freshwater as the river I was fishing is brackish mostly freshwater people catch freshwater fish like bass the odd carp and bull sharks but also saltwater fish like flathead bream and jewfish 
    • By Fishaman
      Managed to snag a solid 88cm flat one. 6lb braid 8lb leader. She put up a good fight and swam away without a problem. 

• By Another Wazza
      I had been keen to get out amongst it for a while and the weather and tides looked good today, I had second thoughts at 4am this morning though, it began raining pretty heavy while I was having a coffee, I checked the rain radar and it was pretty scattered, so I rolled the dice, hooked up the boat and took off, other then the grey sky, the weather wasn’t too bad at all.
      first runs on the board came in they way of a 55cm school mackerel, he succumb to the old floating pilly technique.
      Around the turn of the tide I found myself hooked up to a nice Jew, he fell for a Z Man curl tail, and put up a spirited fight on a 20lb baitcasting outfit, he managed to collect my floating pilly line during the fight, which made for some interesting net work, followed by some not so interesting untangling.

The Jew went around 84cm, not a horse, but still great fun.
      A couple of weeks ago on a Friday, I ventured out in my mates boat, we left Vicky Pt around 7:30am and worked around some of the southern bay islands with limited success, about 11am we decided to work the Banana Banks with plastics, and it payed off, paddle tails and curl tails did all the damage.

The smallest lizard in the pic was a 45cm bar tail, we probably got another 4 or five that weren’t legal size though, and about 6 or so monster sized grinners, by the end of it neither of us were calling what fish it was, as the grinners broke our hearts too many times.The bay was like glass from the time we launched, right  throughout the day, you don’t get much better then that.
      About a week before the lizard trip, I took my mate out around Amity, and could only scrounge up 1 schoolie off the old floating pilly trick, the grinners were thick as and quite brazen too, they were  smashing 7” plastics like they were going out of fashion.

Please login or register to view this attachment The last 3 schoolies I’ve caught have all been 55cm, a bit of variety in size wouldn’t go astray, but I’m certainly not complaining.
    • By Old Scaley
      I have been laying low because of the current restrictions but had to get out for a fish this week with all the signs pointing to a good week for essential food gathering. Decided to just stick around Port of Brisbane since last time I went there I got a heap of just under snaps so thought they may have grown a little since then, or their bigger rellies may have moved in. Got to the ramp just before dawn (very early start for me fishing solo) to find it was already packed. Must be a lot of people not working at present I guess. After a short wait at the ramp I was in the water and had a line in just as the sun was peeking over the horizon.
      Beautiful morning on the water. As usual when I have an early start there were no bites until about 8am. I felt the soft tug tug and thought “I know what this is”. Sure enough after a fight that felt like pulling up a ballet slipper, up pops a biggish catfish. Not a great start but a fish to get the day going. Not long after I felt the old familiar long pull of a flathead. This fish had a bit more go in it and turned out to be a nice 60cm model. I dropped one this size beside the boat last trip and haven’t landed a decent flattie for ages so it was a welcome addition to the esky.
      Just before the high tide the bream started chewing and I landed about half a dozen in quick succession with biggest at 32cm. Once the tide turned the bite slowed right down to zero pretty quickly so home I went. Not a single snapper but hopefully they will pick up as the weather cools.
      I have an electric motor on order that should be ready for pick on Friday so I am hoping for some more exciting reports in the future. Also looking forward to the time that I can safely fish with mates again. I like a solo trip but also enjoy a bit of banter and company. Stay safe everyone.

• Latest Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links