Where To Live With Fishing In Mind

harper44

Guys,

New to the forum, been doing a lot of catching up. I am contemplating a move to Brisbane from North America for a career opportunity and I'm looking into the logistics of mooring a boat in the area. I recently bought a Carolina Classic 28 and I don't want to part with her so I would like to have her shipped over if we make the move. If I do that, where would be the ideal place to moor her? I enjoy most kinds of fishing but, Ideally, I would like relatively easy access to offshore fishing for dolphin, billfish, tuna etc. But not have to drive or fly hours and hours to use my boat. My wife and I would both be working in Brisbane CBD almost full time with some flexibility, I would like to keep the commuting down to an hour so living in GC or SC is probably out of the question. Is it practical to access the ocean via SPB on most average days in a vessel like mine? would it be more practical to moor my boat down in GC and drive down to go fishing? I would love to be as close as possible to my boat as I love working on it and keeping things tip top.

Here's a picture of my new ride for good measure.

IMG_19464015.jpg

Cheers,

Harper

Gday Harper. Welcome to AFO. What a beauty.

The Southport seaway is good in pretty much any weather. If you decide to leave your boat on the gold coast it will be a good option. 

If you want to keep your boat in Brisbane you will need to use the South Passage bar. It is a bit trickier but a lot of boats your size take the northern channel out regularly. 

If you want to keep your boat in Brisbane there are a few options. 

Manly boat harbour is about 25 mins from the city. It is on Moreton Bay. It would take you something like 45mins to get to SPB. One place you can try is RQ - https://www.rqys.com.au/

Another newer spot that is even closer to Brisbane is Rivergate marina. It would add about 30 mins or so to get to SPB but it is about the same distance to Cape Moreton. http://rivergate.com.au/ Cape moreton is the northern end of Moreton Island. SPB is the southern end of Moreton. 

There are options up in Redcliff too. Nice harbour and closer again to Cape Moreton. 

That is a start. ask any more questions you would like answers to

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i've looked at a couple charts and sat photos etc. I have little experience in the area but I have been around the bay a bit and have been to Moreton Island but never been over SPB. I have been through the seaway in GC once and seemed good, it would be ideal for obvious reasons. Leaving the boat in GC would probably also save a significant amount of fuel at 80L/hr considering there are marinas within a couple miles of the seaway, just not sure if I want to drive 1.5+ hr each way every time I want to mess around with the boat.

Having exposed shafts will always carry an element of risk when crossing the South Passage Bar as it has plenty of sand banks to cross over.

The Seaway is a great option if you can find a mooring at the right price as you only have a few kilometers of travel to get offshore.

The Seaway gives you access to some of the best Blue Marlin grounds off Brisbane.

Redcliffe/Scarborough area is another good option with deep water access across the top of Moreton Island but you do need to travel that half hour or more across the bay to get offshore.

This area gives you access to the Moreton Canyons for Blue Marlin and a host of other pelagics.

Both options would be good for you when it comes to game fishing but the logistics of the boat down the coast is a bit of a pain.

Manly is a closer option for working on the boat but then you have the SPB to cross or the bigger run up to the top of Moreton to get offshore.

There is another bar located between the SPB and the Seaway called Jumpinpin Bar.

It can be a very dangerous bar and most people stay away from it but there is some good mooring places up river from there.

Thanks for the replies. Yes Aussie, that's kinda what I was afraid of with the SPB, I draw more than a meter and weigh 9 ton, don't really want to risk putting her on a sand bar. In your opinion, is the pelagic fishing off the top and outside of Moreton Island comparable to Gold Coast? might be a simpleton question but my experience is limited in both areas.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, harper44 said:

hah, who's bringing the fuel barge...

Just time the tides, right? 

Sorry I can't help with the boat brokers. There sure has been some horror stories with them. All the ones I have herd of need the boat to be able to fit in a container. I would first look into size limits for shipping, 9 ton is a pretty big boat!

I imagine it would cost at least $10,000 each way for that boat on the top deck of a ship (aka RORO).

You will need to have a good chat to people who ship boats over here as there is a lot of regulations regarding fumigation and the materials used in making the cradles ect.

Raw timber, dirty boats and bilges are a big no no when importing so best to make sure everything is right before it comes over.

Most imported boats go through a rigorous cleaning regime and then they get fully wrapped in plastic before they are loaded onto the ships.

Have a look around your local area for someone who is set up for exporting boats, they will have all the information, expertise and costings that you need.

As for your question above about the game fishing here, it is no different fishing off the top of Moreton as it is down off the Gold Coast.

The fish are Pelagic so they move along the coast and they get caught on both grounds.

Both Moreton and the Gold Coast grounds can be fished in a single day as they are not far apart.

13 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

I imagine it would cost at least $10,000 each way for that boat on the top deck of a ship (aka RORO).

You will need to have a good chat to people who ship boats over here as there is a lot of regulations regarding fumigation and the materials used in making the cradles ect.

Raw timber, dirty boats and bilges are a big no no when importing so best to make sure everything is right before it comes over.

Most imported boats go through a rigorous cleaning regime and then they get fully wrapped in plastic before they are loaded onto the ships.

Have a look around your local area for someone who is set up for exporting boats, they will have all the information, expertise and costings that you need.

As for your question above about the game fishing here, it is no different fishing off the top of Moreton as it is down off the Gold Coast.

The fish are Pelagic so they move along the coast and they get caught on both grounds.

Both Moreton and the Gold Coast grounds can be fished in a single day as they are not far apart.

I've done a fair bit of research already and know most of the ins and out, I even have a couple of quotes (going to be north of $20K one way for the record), Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with a specific broker, I'd like to get some first hand accounts before leaving my prized possession in the hands of strangers for that kind of trip.

Manly harbour is the biggest marina in Australia and would be 1 of the closest options for your boat if you live in Brisbane and running out off the top of Moreton island would suit all your fishing needs there are some smaller marinas around Brisbane and you should find something to suit your boat. The gold coast and sunshine coast are an hour plus from Brisbane and in my opinion I like having my boat close as I think you will use it more this way good luck once you get it over here.

I went through the process about 18months ago to get quotes to ship a sub 20ft boat to Brisbane from Florida. Many quotes seemed to leave a lot of items out that there’s be no way of avoiding paying for to make the quote seem cheaper. About 12k seemed to be the figure for a 20ft boat with the T Top removed shipped roll on roll off.

Things id check would be....

transport inbound to port in US

dismantling and preparing (cleaning and fumigation)

insurance

carriage type- roll on and off on cradle or on the deck of a ship

brokers clearance fees in Australia

you May have to pay 10% GST

transport to final destination in Brisbane. 

Many reassembly required

There are possibly others based on your type of boat. 

Archived