Fishing Report - Northern Moreton Bay 9 June 2018

Poddymullet

Hit the water from Scarborough around 6am on my own. 

Plan was to head to the measured mile beacons for a couple of hours to see if any mackerel were still around before heading back for a quick whiting session. 

Must admit the SW was way stronger than forecast and so it was bit of bumpy ride out to the northern beacon. 

Only one boat already there so was thinking this could be good or bad. Did some fart arising around trying to find the best spot to anchor due to the wind and current. 

Finally anchored up current and dropped ganged pilys down while I did some live bait casting on squid strips.

Plenty of live bait just no yakkas ... 

No take on the pillys so put on a couple of livies in the hope of a cobia or something else...

Ended up with a Mr Carpet scoffing the pinky which was a bit of fun....happily released for another day. 

Wind and swell continued to build, and after seeing another boat snap his anchor rope, decided it was time to head back. 

Was going to check Scarborough reef but it was still bumpy to so head back to the flats for some whiting which are in plague proportions at the moment. 

I love this kind of fishing on ultra light tackle with bait runners...usual paternoster with long shanks on a about 1 metre of leader to swivel and running ball sinker. The excitement is the same as when a king takes a live bait as the rod buckles and the bait runner spins away and then you slam (over exaggeration ) the strike lever! Love it 

Back home by 11am ... not the best catch but enough to keep the family happy with fish...

J2PxVSfwRmeeeZRJuWpZcg.jpg

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

nice one mate.

didn't happen to get a pic with the peace finger symbol with the whiting on a brag mat did you? haha currently it would take out the whiting category for the Suburbs of origin

Nah ... should have though 😛 next time for sure as parts of that fish went into my belly already! 

BTW not sure how to do the fish report correctly so pointers appreciated !

35 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Nah ... should have though 😛 next time for sure as parts of that fish went into my belly already! 

Did you keep those whiting frames,  they make great snapper baits.  Freeze them as straight as possible. Places out around Cape Moreton like Roberts Shoals etc.  the snapper love baits like that at this time of year. 

Cheers

Josh 

37 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Mate you are a natural. Your report is a beauty. Keep them coming!

There are some old posts with tips on doing reports if you wanted to read but don't feel that you need to. We all just like reading about what is biting and seeing a few pics. 

23 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Did you keep those whiting frames,  they make great snapper baits.  Freeze them as straight as possible. Places out around Cape Moreton like Roberts Shoals etc.  the snapper love baits like that at this time of year. 

Cheers

Josh 

Great tip! Take it you keep the heads on yeah? An old guy I used to somehow always meet on the beach in Dee Why when I was fishing used to put live whiting on for Jew ... swore by them and blackfish (luderick off the rocks. Must admit I miss rock hoping around Sydney foreshores ... for those of you haven't done float fishing for black fishing its really addictive  and they fight like made on the gear you need to get them. Old rumour was the best blackfish (can't use the name we actually use for this type of fishing publicly) fisherman made the best jew fisherman... 

2 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Great tip! Take it you keep the heads on yeah? An old guy I used to somehow always meet on the beach in Dee Why when I was fishing used to put live whiting on for Jew ... swore by them and blackfish (luderick off the rocks. Must admit I miss rock hoping around Sydney foreshores ... for those of you haven't done float fishing for black fishing its really addictive  and they fight like made on the gear you need to get them. Old rumour was the best blackfish (can't use the name we actually use for this type of fishing publicly) fisherman made the best jew fisherman... 

Yeah mate,  Keep the heads on,   put a 8/0 or 9/0 Gamakatsu octopus Hook through the nose,  2 or 3 ball sinker.  Anchor , burley hard and float back in the current and "hang on". 

7 hours ago, christophagus said:

nice one mate.

didn't happen to get a pic with the peace finger symbol with the whiting on a brag mat did you? haha currently it would take out the whiting category for the Suburbs of origin

Perhaps we need to create a third team for Origin next year - north-siders who forget the unique symbol ....... :whistle:🤣

23 minutes ago, Doyley said:

And one for southsiders who don’t like their new boat touching the water!  😂😜

Low blow (especially from a fellow teacher ...... 🙂). The good news is I'm on track for both our Athletics Carnival and school reports so should be able to fit a fish in next weekend - now I just need to find the fish ..... 🙂 

Archived