3 Trips One Report

Cmaltby

The net free zone means all commercial fishing has been banned in the Fitzroy river it has been like this for 2 years and fish numbers are amazing and has really helped Rockhampton tourism @Drop Bear the only downside is bull shark numbers growing but small price to pay as they're fun to catch too got a nice one on Handline Saturday was great fun 

@christophagus im yet to catch a Jew here but my mate got a nice black Jew as by catch last week.

@kmcrosby78 bit hard not to smile when you can catch fish like this ten minutes from your doorstep 

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2019 at 3:26 AM, Aal said:

@Cmaltby hey mate, any advice for fishing the river? From Brisbane and was thinking of heading up there for a few days in September. Not sure what would be good to target round that time.

Sorry no one has answered your question. I can't help much as I have never fished up there. 

There is some good information in this thread but basically I have heard that it fishes really well. Live baits at creek mouths or rock bars are supposed to be deadly and if you can fish at night it will up your chances. September is perfect timing. Lures work well too. 

Good luck mate. 

Hey mate the river is fishing pretty average at the moment there are a few salmon about but no where near as thick as previous years. They had the flood gates open for months earlier in the year and the river hasn't fired up. You can still catch fish you'll just work hard for them. Gulp shrimp in natural colours are the best choice 

3 minutes ago, Cmaltby said:

Hey mate the river is fishing pretty average at the moment there are a few salmon about but no where near as thick as previous years. They had the flood gates open for months earlier in the year and the river hasn't fired up. You can still catch fish you'll just work hard for them. Gulp shrimp in natural colours are the best choice 

Thanks. Glad someone with some real information came along 🙂