Trailer Repair Recommendations (finished) (update)

Luvit

5 hours ago, demarc said:

I hit a pallet that fell of trunk in front of me on the way home from 1770, lost 2 tires bent my trailer frame and damaged the side of the boat. 1 tire was sheered off the rim and the loose rubber got the side of the boat.

Wow glad you are ok mate. Thats nasty.

7 hours ago, Luvit said:

Unfortunately on my return from 1770 trip I had a flat tyre.

I removed it for repair and when I was checking things over I found a nut missing off the brake calipers. 

IMG_5165.thumb.jpg.ec2f03d0f90c43e03233f361c0f9c693.jpg

After expending over 5k to have the work done and waiting 5 weeks.

My summary so far is 

Pros

Trailer tows well.

Advice they provided was good

Cons

I should not have had to tell R&M to replace the U bolts that were obviously to short. They knew they were to short and it should have installed the correct ones. Which they did after I bought it to their attention.

The plastic end caps for the axles were not sent with the axles and they asked I return the trailer when they have  them and they would call me and fit them. Inconvenience. 

I called them yesterday to tell them that the nut was missing from the brake calipers. No apology,  it's blatantly obvious they did not do it up properly. 

I asked if the caps had come in yet and they had, sorry they just forgot to call me.

The wheel nuts where done up with a breaker bar and not tensioned with a torque wrench. I think this is lazy.

I have asked them to express post out a replacement nut and the plastic caps which I will fit myself.

They talk the talk and do know what they are doing BUT, lack attention to detail and checking their own workmanship has let them down in my eyes.

It makes me think how good have they done the bearings that are hidden from veiw. I will find out when I check them in 6 months but they running within temperature limits at the moment.

Overall I would say they are reasonable. What I wanted to say was they are excellent but can not.😕

Mate its a good thing you found that nut! Sorry it was a pain... they have only one job.... grrr

I just went out to see if the spring washer and nut were the correct size, they are.

But if it had a spring washer it should not have come loose. I checked the opposite side and the nut is loose and I easily turned it with my fingers.

As I suspected they have put it on finger tight and forgot to tighten them. 🤬

Just now, aussie123 said:

Did you check the new bearings for any play in them Wayne.

All new bearings should be checked within 100km and re tightened if necessary.

No straight up to 1770 and back. I’ll check them over the weekend with the rest of it. Cheers for that tip. I haven’t heard that before. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived