Poddymullet

Hi all,

So still no closer to making a decision on the boat but hope to get on a couple this week. 

Just to reiterate my needs are:

1. Something smooth across Northern Bay and offshore (back is shot)

2. Trailerable and under 2t

3. 90% for fishing, 10% for family use. Fishing 1-2 people normally but want to be able to have 3 mates where possible comfortable.

4. Dry ... so I guess this keeps me in the cabin clan

5. 100L underfloor (seems like the minimum yeah)

For any of you who have been in the hunt you know what it is like ... have read, asked questions and watched enough YouTube to make me not want to work ever again and just fish. 

But at the moment I keep coming back to Stabi or Surtees, but all the advice is pointing to glass for my back. 

Have seen some good deals under $40k for 5.5 and under glass boats, but I keep getting drawn back to Stabicraft or Surtees for the no BS approach and total ruggedness and fishability...

The hunt continues 

My back is pretty knackered too and something that’s a big consideration for me is where the location of the helm is situated. 

Too far up front for me is brutal in a smallish boat, my mates got a very nice Whitley sea legend 6.3 which is a good riding boat but I’ve still gotta be down the back when running......at least the way he drives it haha. 

Trim tabs are fantastic things too  

Just a few more things to consider. 

If you're looking second hand I reckon once you decide on what make/type you want you'll get one at a good price if you're patient and look regularly (every couple of days). I just had a quick look and these two popped up. One is in Melbourne which is obviously not ideal but the other one seems a great price. @Cobiaaddict might have a better idea than me if it would be slightly under-powered with the 90 Etec? You'd also want to find out how many hours it's done, but great package for the price.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-region/motorboats-powerboats/surtees-5-5-workmate/1185279597

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2010-Surtees-55-HARD-TOP/SSE-AD-5376926/?cr=3&psq=((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Make%3D[Surtees])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=Price

I have spent about 1000hrs in a little 5m Stabi and love it to bits. It never broaches, is very stable and puts up with bad conditions well. However it doesn't ride as well as some other ally boats I have been in as far as comfort goes it does slap and jar a bit. I haven't had any experience with surtees. 

Stabi will serve you well if you pick your days for comfort and drive it to the conditions though.

12 hours ago, MarkA said:

My back is pretty knackered too and something that’s a big consideration for me is where the location of the helm is situated. 

Too far up front for me is brutal in a smallish boat, my mates got a very nice Whitley sea legend 6.3 which is a good riding boat but I’ve still gotta be down the back when running......at least the way he drives it haha. 

Trim tabs are fantastic things too  

Just a few more things to consider. 

Thanks Mark...I agree on the location of helm...that's why I wonder sometimes if a side console might actually end up working in my favour as it is much further back...but then you can forget about keeping dry right 😞

6 hours ago, Ovington said:

I have spent about 1000hrs in a little 5m Stabi and love it to bits. It never broaches, is very stable and puts up with bad conditions well. However it doesn't ride as well as some other ally boats I have been in as far as comfort goes it does slap and jar a bit. I haven't had any experience with surtees. 

Stabi will serve you well if you pick your days for comfort and drive it to the conditions though.

Thanks for the info...yeah I can see what once a Stabi always a Stabi...the look grows on you and they are unsinkable and so much thought put into where things go. Going to hit Northside up if I can for a test. 

8 hours ago, demarc said:

Thanks Demarc...I do like the Yalta's as well...that's got a serious 4stroke donk on it...

Thanks for the offer will PM you 

On 18/06/2018 at 5:32 AM, Bloodzkull said:

Try to organise a ride in either the tjae or armour series of sea adex boats before you count them out.

Apart from that I would head towards glass however I haven't been in either the stabi or Surtees 

Another vote for the Sea Adex. 

I love my Armour 55HT. 

One thing I will add is don't buy a boat just because "it looks good". Looks are IMO the last thing to consider. Design and strength/condition of the boat is what I look out for. 

On 21/06/2018 at 8:22 AM, Junky said:

Another vote for the Sea Adex. 

I love my Armour 55HT. 

One thing I will add is don't buy a boat just because "it looks good". Looks are IMO the last thing to consider. Design and strength/condition of the boat is what I look out for. 

Is that where I'm going wrong?

7072038_stock-photo-fantasy-art-photo-of-a-beautiful-lady-in-boat.jpg.9f68cecd8313294a021d2a4bba7dd15d.jpg

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Poddymullet said:

Thanks Mark...I agree on the location of helm...that's why I wonder sometimes if a side console might actually end up working in my favour as it is much further back...but then you can forget about keeping dry right 😞

Yes 100%

Without a physical shelter you will get wet sometimes, especially in a quartering sea.

On 24/06/2018 at 5:48 AM, MarkA said:

Yes 100%

Without a physical shelter you will get wet sometimes, especially in a quartering sea.

@MarkA so you in your experience you reckon a seating position further back is going to be better for your back? I keep going back to a side console for the fishing capability and total deck space that is open for swags etc overnighting across at Moreton etc. Anybody got anything else to add to the seating for back conversations? 

30 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

@MarkA so you in your experience you reckon a seating position further back is going to be better for your back? I keep going back to a side console for the fishing capability and total deck space that is open for swags etc overnighting across at Moreton etc. Anybody got anything else to add to the seating for back conversations? 

Definately want as back as possible. All a trade off. Remember the bow bounces while the stern stays relatively stable in most boats.

So...got the boat back at the dealer. They are taking a look at a couple of the issues I’ve had. And saw this https://www.goldcoastboatingcentre.com.au/listing/stessco-gulfrunner-490 it’s a steal at that price and will go like a jet. But how will it handle the bay in 15kts. Help me decide 😫 or should I keep looking at the Sea Ros 520 SC with a V2 Hull 

I'd suggest you make a list of what you really want out of a boat, and what you are and are/aren't willing to forgo. Take into account things like how wet you are willing to get, etc. Based on what I've heard you say so far regarding the comfort required and also where you are likely to use it (across the bay and occasionally offshore) I suspect you'd be better off with a cabin style boat. I've never been in a side console but imagine you'd get reasonably wet coming across the bay in the type of chop you're likely to come across (unless you only go out on perfect days of course .....). Before leaping into a new boat (and style of boat), I'd be organising a ride in these different styles so you've got a good, accurate opinion of what they'll be like to own/drive.

I have had both SC and CC boats. I now have a walk around which suits me perfectly. I do like to be dry and the room to sleep. 

I found anything at 10knts or above with a side wind mean wet ride and the gear was getting a salt water bath in both SC/CC.  Maintenance was high on the reels well.

BUT on a calm day, man there is nothing better to lure fish out than a CC. 

17 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

So...got the boat back at the dealer. They are taking a look at a couple of the issues I’ve had. And saw this https://www.goldcoastboatingcentre.com.au/listing/stessco-gulfrunner-490 it’s a steal at that price and will go like a jet. But how will it handle the bay in 15kts. Help me decide 😫 or should I keep looking at the Sea Ros 520 SC with a V2 Hull 

If you want to tackle the bay in 15knts only realy choice for comfort is a half cab glass boat. Unfortunately you're kiddin yourself to buy anything else for the run to Moreton in 15knts.

29 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Thanks guys...was getting a little loose on the needs. Splashed some cole water on the face and now back to reality. Glass it is 

Tons of good deals around atm. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/browns-plains/motorboats-powerboats/535-yalta-craft/1186437750

Will do what you're after. Don't be scared of 2 strokes!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beenleigh/motorboats-powerboats/5-3-m-yalta-craft-2014-90hp-4-stroke-suzuki-trailer/1185759993

Is a steal. Unsure how the 90 would go, but I think it should be good. 

On 27/06/2018 at 11:31 PM, Luvit said:

BUT on a calm day, man there is nothing better to lure fish out than a CC. 

Apart from a tiller steer where you have a huge amount of deck space and don't have to squeeze past the console or everyone else in the boat.... :frantics:

Archived