Need Help (amature) Golden Perch/ Murry Cod

npiet1

So I newish to fishing (new to fresh water), well I fished since I was little but it was always tie hook and sinker with bait prawns or squid and cast (Salt water). Nothing more. Now I've moved far inland, and I live near a river (gil weir) that houses golden perch and murry cod. I just can't catch any though (I know its not the season I havn't tried for a while but thinking about it soon when it gets warmer). I've tried lures of different types (I've never used them before), prawns and yabbies. My main problem is snags (I'm almost out of lures,hooks and have to buy a new rod as it snapped, still got some hand wheels). I tried sun rise, sun set and middle of the day to no prevail, Even wearing clothes to match my surroundings.  The most frustrating thing is that at sunset or rise, you see the cod everywhere feeding. Is there any advice anyone can give?

I was in a similar position as you many years ago. Never caught native fish only trout on lures. The amount of gear I lost was ridiculous so, I hired an exceptional fresh water guide when I was in Victoria. After one day with him I started to catch fish and lost far less gear. 

If only fishing from the banks I'd say spinner baits and hardbodies like stump jumpers are the most snag resistant when you have the right set up. You can catch plenty on soft plastics but they snag easy if not rigged weedless. When the water is warm fishing any early morning or evening with surface lures great for cod. Best yellowbelly lure I have used would be the Jackel TN60 but, I would not recommend these when fishing from a bank where it's hard to retrieve them. 

When looking where to cast look for structure where current pushes food towards. The fish will be facing into the current will be waiting to ambush bait as it is swept past the snag. Look where the sun is the fish will be on the shadow side of the snag generally. Fish the shade bank as well.

Think like a fish and cast well past the snag you think the fish is in, so when the lure is retrieved it is at the depth the fish is sitting. Making it as easy as possible for the fish to move the least to grab your offering. Aim to bring it past the snag as close as 1-2 foot out from the snag which is barely the length of the fish. Slow retrieve so you can feel the blades spinning or the hard body just pulsing. 

Hope that is a start because I have to head off now. 

Good luck

I don't mean to push you away from this forum but sweetwater fishing forum has some really experienced cod boys on there. 

Search the forum and I'd almost bet there would be a story done on the area you are in. 

I tried cod fishing once. Covered mad kilometers on foot for a donut. Bloke with me caught one. He knew his stuff too. 

Next time he went, I passed, he cleaned up. I figured they could sence the salt in my blood. 

19 minutes ago, Junky said:

I don't mean to push you away from this forum but sweetwater fishing forum has some really experienced cod boys on there. 

Search the forum and I'd almost bet there would be a story done on the area you are in. 

I tried cod fishing once. Covered mad kilometers on foot for a donut. Bloke with me caught one. He knew his stuff too. 

Next time he went, I passed, he cleaned up. I figured they could sence the salt in my blood. 

That's native fishing down to a tee.

I remember fishing a cod comp years ago where not one cod was caught all day with 20+ boats fishing. Most boats had 2 anglers and fished for 8hrs, that over 300hrs of fishing between everyone.  Most people drowned their sorrows around the camp fire that night and most said they would pack up and head home.  I got up early and hit the river early next morning. I have a barometer on my watch and noticed it had dropped quickly in the morning. This made a massive difference to the fishing and before lunch I had caught 2 yellow belly and 3 cod with a few other hits.  

The same can happen if the barometer rises quickly.

2 hours ago, Junky said:

Thanks but theres no one fish there just some photos of the area, i might start a thread there and ask

16 hours ago, Luvit said:

That's native fishing down to a tee.

I remember fishing a cod comp years ago where not one cod was caught all day with 20+ boats fishing. Most boats had 2 anglers and fished for 8hrs, that over 300hrs of fishing between everyone.  Most people drowned their sorrows around the camp fire that night and most said they would pack up and head home.  I got up early and hit the river early next morning. I have a barometer on my watch and noticed it had dropped quickly in the morning. This made a massive difference to the fishing and before lunch I had caught 2 yellow belly and 3 cod with a few other hits.  

The same can happen if the barometer rises quickly.

You know, even though I got nothing it was still a buzz walking along the creeks and just being in the middle of nowhere. Fishing in landscapes like that is very cool. 

I have since headed to places like Christmas creek and upper logan reaches (closer to home) chasing bass with great success. It is good fun. 

Archived