Wynnum Fishing Classic/oyster Reef Project

Angus

1.jpg

Hey AFO friends and members,

If you are keen to help make a big difference on the quality of fishing in Moreton Bay, the overall health of the bay itself and establish a legacy that hopes to push back against the serious depletion of the bays most important natural resource then I have a call to arms for you...

Last time I posted something I did not have heaps of ways available to help but this has changed...

First of all check out this video from New York. https://www.facebook.com/thevonwong/videos/10154810184883515/UzpfSTEzMzgxODQzNzQzODc0MToxNzIxMTgwMTAyNzU0NTA/

The Chesapeake Bay project has been going for years and we can learn a lot from them but we are also lucky to have some local precedent in the Bribie Passage and Noosa River to emulate as well (although for Moreton Bay we are aiming about 10000 times bigger).

Now I will not get bogged down now with the science behind the "why" we are doing this and why oyster reefs are so important to the eco system and how we as humans are pretty much solely responsible for the fact they are currently at 2% of their historical range but I can link you and am happy to fill you in in person. What I want to offer is a way to directly or indirectly help us improve on that 2%. Without going into to much detail though oysters are the lungs of the bay. They filter the volume of the water and thus benefit other eco systems such as sea grass beds and coral reef. Their improved health will benefit literally every other aspect of the bay and take away from none.

Short Term:

Short Term Option 1: We are hosting a fishing comp in Oct (12-14th) to raise money for the project. We need manpower and help. There is a meeting this Sunday the 5th Oct to discuss duties if you are interested please let me know via PM and I will give you address and time.

Short Term Option 2: We need entrants for the event! Entry fees are modest and 100% not for profit. Even if you do not plan to fish there are amazing lucky door prizes (and we are hopingto secure even more) including fully kitted out Blue Fin boat package! I will share the finalised event details on the 12th of August when they are officially launched.

Short Term Option 3: Sponsors. If you cannot commit physically to the cause but have a business that could help with contra and/or cash contribution we would love to hear from you. I am working on the comp shirts this week and sponsors will be part of this if interested. Stalls/stands are an option at the event as well.

Long Term:

Long Term Option 1: We will 100% still need help after this event is over and ongoing. There is a lot of physical labour and effort behind the scenes once we start creating reef (as per the above video). Please consider joining the Moreton Bay Chaprter of Ozfish. This project could span decades so if family life slows you down at the moment (for all the right reasons) consider this is a marathon not a sprint. This groups facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/OzFish-Unlimited-Central-Moreton-…/

Long Term Option 2: We would love a patron sponsor. Someone who truly wants to establish a legacy. More work needs to be put into this than the occasional Sunday working bee will allow so if there are any philanthropists out there with the resources and appreciation for the project it would be incredible to have a couple of people working on this full time.

Thanks everyone that took the time to read this through.

I love a good meme or video on facebook about saving the world, reducing waste and otherwise being an awesome bloke. Here is chance to actually go do it.

Angus

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I am busy with family stuff for the next few weeks but will be free to help by mid to late August. Just finishing my working career so I have a bit of a fear of commitment right now but I am sure that I will be able to help out in some way going forward. 

That would be great mate. We will need lots of help on the 12th to 14th of October. 

17 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I hope in years to come that my two boys will be getting their children involved in it, and that by that time the bay is basically incomparable to what it is today.

Nice call. if we can get 100 hectares of reef planted in 10 years it will increase the harvestable  fish in the bay by 250ton!!!!

That will make such a difference. Snapper from the foreshore in Wynnum again. 

Another big week at school (Junior Sports Day and organising 300 students for Interschool Sport .....) so am working on the media release today (with my wife's help .... 🙂). She said to try and have a quote on it so I'll pick through and see if we have anything by Ben Diggles and if so I'll call him and check he's fine for us to include it. See you all tomorrow.

Archived