1770 Report Aug

Luvit

Not our most successful trip to 1770 but, still very enjoyable.

There were initially there were 4 boats heading up.
Boat 1/ Luke and I in my walk around. 
Boat 2/ Brad & Jason in a 21ft Centre Console Contender.
Boat 3/ Ben & Col in a 23ft Centre Consloe Mako.

Terry & deckie in Straddie Brad’s boat.  Unfortunately, Terry’s deckie pulled out so Terry pulled the pin as well.

B3/ Nice boat the Mako

IMG_47788.thumb.jpg.3b62c35c8dc475d7ae3c6fa227034123.jpg

B2 was picking Jason up at 11pm Thursday night before driving through the night for a 6am departure to Sykes reef.
B1 & B3 headed up on Thursday afternoon and we all arrived around 5ish and stocked up with fuel and ice before heading Agnes Water Tavern for a drink and meal. The person I sold my Scout centre console lives in Agnes Waters and I called him to see if he would like to join us. It was the first time we had had meet face to face and he was generous with his tips and even gave us a few marks to try.
After all the fishing talk we were itching to get out and see what we could raise. B1 & B3 spent the night anchored in the creek waiting for B2’s early morning arrival.  I dropped Luke at the jetty for a coffee run and once he was back B2 had launched and we ready to head off. 

The weather for Friday was 10-15knts and the trip out there was not to bad. We hadn’t not expected much on the Friday as we were waiting for the good weather predicted for Saturday and Sunday. At times on Friday it would have been 20 knts and even trying to slow the drift with a sea anchor it was between 3-4kph. The fishing was quite hard so we headed to the shallows to see what we could find. I picked up a Red Throat on a new Gobblers color called Gin clear.

IMG_5132.thumb.jpg.b76943445b616df58fc7c74742cf4019.jpg

Luke opted to try some popping and was rewarded with a hit, unfortunately the fish reefed him. Losing both the fish and the popper. 
It was too rough to raft up on Friday night so we all anchored separately. It really picked up through the night and not much sleep was had by all. Especially the 2 x centre consoles that had to contend with some rain showers. Even Luke was getting a bit wet on my deck with the rain coming in from the side. The only time I got wet was when Luke shoved his wet matteress in the cabin to keep it dry. 😛
The wind was predicted to drop overnight and be 5-10knts and getting down to 0-5knts in the afternoon. We woke at day break to the wind still blowing hard. We headed off and caught usual reef species like Coral trout, Maori cod, Hussar, Tusk fish etc. Nothing of any size but a few legals.

About lunch time the wind finally started dropping and the fishing become easier and more enjoyable. We started our search for the Red emperor by heading East of Sykes Reef hitting some spots but just got small stuff. The weather kept improving so we just kept leap frogging looking for fish. Finally, just before dark we found 4 or so fish on the sounder in 60 meters of water. Our baits were ready as we positioned the boat allowing for the drift and as soon as Luke hit the bottom his rod buckled over and he was on to a good fish. Seconds latter my bait hit the bottom and I was also hooked up. Ben and Col were near by still sounding for marks and come over to see what we were doing. We called it for a double hook upon Reds. Seconds later Luke hooks pull, leaving him with the empty feeling of an opportunity lost. Lucky for me mine was still trying to bury me in the reef. I had the Saragoosa 10K locked up letting the rod take all the lunges from the fish. Once it was 4 meters clear of the reef I was happy to calm the retrieve down and smoothly pump it to the surface hoping a shark was not on its tail. Then the sight we had been waiting for appeared in the form of a mighty Red Emperor. Luke calmly slipped the net under before screams of joy echoed across the reef. Ben & Col looking on as Luke and I high 5’d. It was a very satisfying fish with the only down side being Luke’s fish not staying connected. We took a couple of photos and then tried finding them again.

IMG_5150.thumb.jpg.c10bbc6476299f3cfb49db65221d1ea4.jpg

IMG_47911.thumb.jpg.2c72175be1a6b722f17b23501b59e0bb.jpg

IMG_5156.thumb.jpg.7d7d98737947d4d8dfdbdbbbd11b1d65.jpg

I forgot to weigh it at a guess I would say 9-10kg and 70cm long.

Unfortunately, we could not relocate them, and I suppose when 2 out 4 fish that we saw on the sounder give of distress signals the other 2 may not have hung around.
With spirits high we all head back to the anchorage to join Brad and Jason. After learning from our last raft up with Tugger, Brad, Julian boats I had new large fenders to stop any damage to the boat. They worked well but Brad boat did not have any board and we could not have his boat rafted without the risk of damage. We had a short chat while we were close and Brad caught a estimated 40kg cod on a popper. The thing was huge. We had some drinks and chatted about the day and cooked up some of the catch to have in fresh bread with salt and vinegar chips. Beautiful. 

After speaking with locals, they suggested we need to allow at least 3-4 hours after low to get in the bar. So Sundays high tide was early and if we wanted to fish all day Sunday the time to get over the bar safely would have been 7pm.  However, between 7-10pm a big blow was predicted 30-35knts winds and doing a bar crossing at night, no moon and high winds we made the call to go in the morning. First light Sunday we got up and Luke had a cast with a Gin clear where we anchored and hooked a nice 1m scaley or shark mackerel, which I missed the net shot and it swam away. 🙄 Then we packed up and thought we would try for a Spanish at a spot on the way home. There was nothing on the sounder when we got there so we continued on in. The conditions were great, we were doing 50+kmh on the way home seeing the occasional whale and it was a good opportunity to once again experiment with sounder settings. While Luke drove I changed scroll settings and customised deep ranges. I see people bagging the Furuno as old technology compared to the new Simrad Lowrance etc for target seperation. I have the Furuno 588 and the HDS Gen 3 and I would say without a doubt Furuno is far better than the HDS for finding fish. It just doesn't have side scan which the HDS does and the mapping on the Lowrance is so easy to use. So happy to picking up fish and schools at 50kmph with the Furuno. I'm @straddiebrad will like his when he has had a chance to use it.

We all got back safely and headed to the ramp café for a big breakfast and a debrief. Still a great trip but fishing time was limited with the weather and conditions of the bar. We headed home and after dropping Luke off at 4pm I was hoping to be home by 6ish. Those plans took a dive when I got caught in a traffic jam due to a accident on the Bruce Hwy which closed all lanes and the I finally got home at 8;15pm after leaving we left at 11ish. The trailer towed well and looking forward to the next trip out.

IMG_5160.thumb.jpg.6c8a786979d451566bbddf133a94c998.jpg

We had some last night and it is up there with my best tasting fish.

Dolphin fish and Red Emperor, could not split them for my favorite eating fish.

Thanks to everyone's company, we had a great time as usual. 

IMG_47855.jpg

54 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Thanks Julian,

If it wasn't for you inviting me to 1770 a few trips ago I would still only be dreaming of catching one. I want to do a trip of Breaksea as well to see if I can locate them a little closer to home.

Gotta pass on the addiction. 🙂

I'm going to start playing around wide bay more. I think less kms there and Greg finds them 40kms from the bar. I know if it's slow can always head wider and deep drop for cod. 

4 minutes ago, tugger said:

Congratulations on your 1st Red Wayne I was hooked when I felt that power and strength of these fish when they do not want to leave the bottom those thumps on the end of the line become unmistakable when you hook these brutes. 

They have heaps of power that’s for sure. 

Our toughest trip of the four, but it's just an awesome trip in itself.

The glass-out arrived a little later than expected and was heartbreaking to leave behind although the conditions then turned back around quicker too.

Highlights for me - Loading up on a surface strike.

- Netting the Big Red.

- Passing on the 1770 addiction to Col and Benny. 

Next trip cannot come soon enough.

Great report @Luvit and thanks again. 

Great report @Luvit. Top read. Took me back to when I did that one with @demarc and @aussie123. I missed out on a red that trip and are really keen to get back to it. 

So glad your trailer and boat are sorted now and I am looking forward to reading lots of reports.

I would be mad keen to come up on a Harvey bay trip and happy to brave a few showers in the swag on the deck or on the beach. 

Thanks for setting up the Gobblers Lure Sponsorship for the OzFish Wynnum Fishing Classic. You have really helped to make it a great event. 

2 minutes ago, Ovington said:

Awesome reports guys. Well done on the Red and good call on the early return I passed you guys heading north and felt sorry for the mess you were about to get caught up in on the hwy. 

Yes, better to be safe than sorry.

You could have called us, so we could have avoided it🙃

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Get familiar with the Furuno and go looking.

Time is always limited up there but, I would like to do a lot of exploring and find new areas that hold them. 

I want to head further north Wayne along that line in 50 to 60m they get a bit of a touch up the closer you are to 1770. We will look and plan accordingly to our circumstances with weather and time.

1 minute ago, tugger said:

I want to head further north Wayne along that line in 50 to 60m they get a bit of a touch up the closer you are to 1770. We will look and plan accordingly to our circumstances with weather and time.

Same thinking, that's scary.

The charters still do well on them a lot closer than Sykes, though. To be able to catch multiples consistently is where I would like to get to.

On 15/08/2018 at 7:15 AM, Drop Bear said:

Great report @Luvit. Top read. Took me back to when I did that one with @demarc and @aussie123. I missed out on a red that trip and are really keen to get back to it. 

So glad your trailer and boat are sorted now and I am looking forward to reading lots of reports.

I would be mad keen to come up on a Harvey bay trip and happy to brave a few showers in the swag on the deck or on the beach. 

Thanks for setting up the Gobblers Lure Sponsorship for the OzFish Wynnum Fishing Classic. You have really helped to make it a great event. 

It would be on beach Robbie🤣 not enough room in the boat. We would need 300 m at least between us so your snoring was 😝bearable

Archived