Outboard Pod Design

Bloodzkull

Bit of backstory,

5.3m cruise raft raider with a Merc 135 two stroke.

Problem is it's a 25inch leg on a 20inch transom and the splashwell takes bunch of deck space I could definitely use.

So a pod it is, needs to have some flotation to offset motor weight being further back etc. 

Does anyone have any advice or experience?

13 hours ago, Bloodzkull said:

I considered a jack plate but you miss out on a lot of things too, no swim platform possible, still need the splashwell, extra weight too and it could definitely use a bit more flotation

Im looking at an ally  pod and bolting it onto the transom.

Boat builder is your best bet. Some boats love pods, other's just aren't designed to have the engine back further. Then you have the design to think about. Do it wrong and the water pressure will "suck" the stern of your boat down making it a pig.

If there are not many hours on your engine, selling and buying the right one might be a good option. Personally I would try the jacking plate as Junky suggested.

15 hours ago, Bloodzkull said:

I considered a jack plate but you miss out on a lot of things too, no swim platform possible, still need the splashwell, extra weight too and it could definitely use a bit more flotation

Im looking at an ally  pod and bolting it onto the transom.

Maybe have a chat to someone like Arnolds fiberglass. I know he is very familiar with those hulls. I would be renewing the transom at the same time if you go the bolt on pod option. 

The weight of the jacking plate won't be anywhere near as bad as moving the motor back 500mm. The plate only weighs about 30kg from memory. But that motor going back 500mm will need more weight up front to counter it.....or else the vessel may/will porpoise. That motor would nearly be that hulls max hp. Things get realy touchy on those older hulls when making big changes like moving engines. 

7 hours ago, Junky said:

Maybe have a chat to someone like Arnolds fiberglass. I know he is very familiar with those hulls. I would be renewing the transom at the same time if you go the bolt on pod option. 

The weight of the jacking plate won't be anywhere near as bad as moving the motor back 500mm. The plate only weighs about 30kg from memory. But that motor going back 500mm will need more weight up front to counter it.....or else the vessel may/will porpoise. That motor would nearly be that hulls max hp. Things get realy touchy on those older hulls when making big changes like moving engines. 

Weight up front is a definite consideration, there's plenty to play with there as a new fuel tank and batteries will be going in as well.

The motor is right on max hp for the hull (well, over when you consider it's rated at the prop not the motor)  however it's still a great boat even with the motor sitting 5+inches lower than ideal, a pod even if not perfect is likely to make it better

Oh and the transom will be redone after a few test runs to make sure positioning etc is perfect

Saw this on gumtree

Cheers

Ray

search location

Ad ID 1148576475

Boat Pod Outboard Motor Bracket Custom Built Pod

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Boat Pod Outboard Motor Bracket Custom Built Pod

$1,695

Custom Built Transom set up for any Trailer boat. ,I can supply you with simple instructions for you to give me the information I need to build a pod for your boat

Please note these are full floatation pods that follow the lines of your hull and enhance the performance and stability of your boat, not raised up engine brackets that hinder your boats performance

[ Pictures above are of a set up that was completed for a past customer painting and fitting not included]

This set up suits up to 225 HP for smaller pods see my other listings on EBay

20 hp to 75 HP $750.00

75 HP to 150 HP $895.00

150 HP to 225 HP $980.00

I have been in the Marine Industry for over 20 years fabricating and welding aluminium.

I build Plate Aluminium Boats I can custom build Fuel tanks ,Consoles ,Bait Tanks etc

You can contact me on 0417782114 Peter to discuss suitabilty for your Boat or send me a picture of your boat to peter@profishboats.com

Workshop now 35 to 40 mins From Brisbane Airport

I can help organise freight to anywhere in Australia at buyers expence

• 3 years later...

Hi All

New to forum

Question about pods and weights.

Mercruiser weight is about 400kg + sterndrive  / never liked inboards

Outboard is about 200kgs

I know the mercruiser is inboard the transom but an outboard on a pod is at half the weight.

Is there some sort of calculation thing to work through or is it suck it and see.

Have access to an older boat /project boat  (18ft Glass) and just researching some ideas

cheers in advance

hatto