Braid Or Mono?? Ehhh.....

dhingchakdude

hi all.

I have decided to buy this reel PENN® SPINFISHER METAL 950 SSM, and this line

The question is, how should I decide what line rating should I buy? I am aiming for offshore snapper and tuna, and as much easy I thought fishing is, its actually not!

Lots of stuff to decide, and now I am stuck on which line to choose. heheh

@Drop Bear

@Luvit

14 hours ago, Luvit said:

I use 30lb for tuna & snapper 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Yes 30lb will work nicely for you 

Guys is that site even genuine?

I am seeing Penn 950 SSM for 110$ everywhere except for this site!

On this site everything  is cheap.... 

So, reel is done,  line is done.

Now as for Rod, will that Penn 950 SSM fit this Rod?

And can this Rod withstand the snapper and tuna?

5 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

I cant find any specifics on the rod. Is it rated for 30lb?

What site are you wondering if it is genuine?

1 hour ago, dhingchakdude said:

Dinga.com.au

they are selling Penn 950 SSM for $67 !

https://www.dinga.com.au/penn-spinfisher-950ssm-spinning-reel-1152072.html

While other sites are selling the same for $ 109 , even my local shop. And even braids are cheap, other sites are selling for $ 89.90 while dinga is selling it for $72

https://www.dinga.com.au/daiwa-j-braid-30lb-500m-braided-fishing-line-multi-colour-49171.html

24 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Dinga are reputable. Bought a few things off them over the years. If you join up as a member (free) you get free delivery. 

23 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

dunno it looks legit. It is a pretty well set up page. I try and buy stuff from my local shop rather than online. 

I know........

only thing I found suspicious is the price, it's almost half the actual cost 110$

Local shop is also selling for 110$

So the main reason online shops are cheaper is that they don't have the overheads of paying for a shop, staff, electricity etc.

A good online shop will pass on large discounts while still making a profit.

The downside to online shopping is the wait time, but if you can wait, then save a few dollars and buy online.

Also, remember to check that the price is actually in Australian dollars, not US greenbacks.

2 hours ago, Alavets said:

So the main reason online shops are cheaper is that they don't have the overheads of paying for a shop, staff, electricity etc.

A good online shop will pass on large discounts while still making a profit.

The downside to online shopping is the wait time, but if you can wait, then save a few dollars and buy online.

Also, remember to check that the price is actually in Australian dollars, not US greenbacks.

Thanks man, yeah its in AUD, anyways, I will buy my stuff from dinga if its that cheap! almost half the price...

Its not a huge wait time though

Yes, you will need some leader line. 30lb mono or fluorocarbon or maybe heavier depending on what you are hoping to catch. You will also need to learn a knot that will let you tie the leader to the braid. Plenty of opinions on which is the best knot. YouTube is your friend that will help you learn to choose and tie the knot.

I like that you have an ambition to catch big fish using a drone as your introduction to fishing, but maybe you should start small to build the underlying basic skills you will need to achieve your dream catch. Perhaps chasing the bread and butter species like whiting, bream and flathead will give you the experience you need to take on bigger challenges.

Good luck!

Be very careful with Braid because it will cut you to the bone if it's under tension. If you have a tight drag and the fish runs with your bait and the braid gets caught around your finger etc. 

I totally agree with what @Old Scaley has said. Every person that fishes wants to catch big hard fighting fish, however it is best to start on small fish to learn by your mistakes, so when you hook a big fish you have every chance of catching it. I remember a fishing guide I went with telling me of so many people hooking their first meter plus Murray cod and losing it because of angler error.

You will hear so many stories of the big one that got away from fisherman. There are many reasons why and I'd say the majority are the angler's fault. Whether it be knots failing, to much drag pressure, the way the rod is controlled when fighting a fish, old line etc If you have the right size gear for the small fish you will have just as much fun as big fish.

You would benefit a lot from going out with someone that could show you things first hand. Do you have a local fishing club you could join? they are very helpful when starting out.

9 hours ago, Luvit said:

Be very careful with Braid because it will cut you to the bone if it's under tension. If you have a tight drag and the fish runs with your bait and the braid gets caught around your finger etc. 

I totally agree with what @Old Scaley has said. Every person that fishes wants to catch big hard fighting fish, however it is best to start on small fish to learn by your mistakes, so when you hook a big fish you have every chance of catching it. I remember a fishing guide I went with telling me of so many people hooking their first meter plus Murray cod and losing it because of angler error.

You will hear so many stories of the big one that got away from fisherman. There are many reasons why and I'd say the majority are the angler's fault. Whether it be knots failing, to much drag pressure, the way the rod is controlled when fighting a fish, old line etc If you have the right size gear for the small fish you will have just as much fun as big fish.

You would benefit a lot from going out with someone that could show you things first hand. Do you have a local fishing club you could join? they are very helpful when starting out.

I bought braid coz mono was very less in length

I am not aiming for huge fish, just under 10 kg max

Snapper or anything else.

I will have to check this leader line now... 

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Uni to Uni knot is pretty simple to learn. This video explains it. 

If you want to get into fancier knots the FG is a lot better than Uni to Uni but is tricky to learn and tricky to tie. 

I like the improved albright knot. I found it easy to tie at night.

13 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

I bought braid coz mono was very less in length

I am not aiming for huge fish, just under 10 kg max

Snapper or anything else.

I will have to check this leader line now... 

You have bought a good reel with a deep spool for line capacity. If you bought the 30lb J braid depending on the size spool you bought you will need to pack the first part of the spool with mono so the braid is on top filling the reel spool. Personally for what you are doing I would put the braid on the bottom and top shot it with mono. That way you have stretch in the line but still have the line capacity on the reel. Cheaper to keep replacing the mono and braid is not very good around reefs where snapper tend to be.

I don't want to discourage your efforts and I hope the members advice will save you some money in the long run. The colt sniper is a great jig and the slow flutter can be used in the top of the water column for tuna but is designed to be used close to the bottom 1-5 meter above. If you are intending to drop this out far with the drone and retrieve it for tuna, a surecatch slug or similar in 30 grams will do the job and a lot less likely to become snagged than the coltsnipper worked close to the bottom. Using these type of slow flutter jigs from shore could easily see them get snagged and you losing the jig. A graphite/carbon rod is bests for these type of lures and are hard to use form the shore but it can be done. It is hard for us to give advice when you are cutting over many different techniques for the fish. The rod in the link is not really suited to what you intend to use it for. A longer 7ft 6-8kg rod would be more suitable or longer if you intend to just cast it out. 

If wanted to catch a snapper from land I would research everything I could of where they are most likely to be found in my area. Fish the peak periods dawn and dusk on tide changes and cast out with a surf rod with a running sinker with a bait 150-200mm long like a sand whiting or similar.  I saw snapper caught off the Mornington pier in Victoria this way in a big westerly or early mornings. 

The best advise will come from a reputable tackle shop once you have settled on exactly what you want to do. Drone fishing or estuary fishing/general fishing because no set up does everything well.

It kinda sounds like you're trying to turn fishing into a computer game and I think you'll lose interest pretty quick if it isn't working, there's not really an 'aquire this, this and this and you catch this' play book. 

For the drone drop unless you plan to forever be dropping, then reeling in then dropping again (which sounds like more time setting up than with a line in the water) I think you'd be best off with bait.

4 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

How do you guys target a fish based on its size

Wellllllll its not really always that way but it can be. Its more that you know what sort of fish are in that area and fish accordingly. 

Bigger baits will often get bigger fish but there is no point putting on a whole mullet over a 2 foot deep yabby bank not would you want to put a #8 whiting hook on 4lb line with a small ball sinker in 50m of water. 

9 hours ago, Luvit said:

You have bought a good reel with a deep spool for line capacity. If you bought the 30lb J braid depending on the size spool you bought you will need to pack the first part of the spool with mono so the braid is on top filling the reel spool. Personally for what you are doing I would put the braid on the bottom and top shot it with mono. That way you have stretch in the line but still have the line capacity on the reel. Cheaper to keep replacing the mono and braid is not very good around reefs where snapper tend to be.

I don't want to discourage your efforts and I hope the members advice will save you some money in the long run. The colt sniper is a great jig and the slow flutter can be used in the top of the water column for tuna but is designed to be used close to the bottom 1-5 meter above. If you are intending to drop this out far with the drone and retrieve it for tuna, a surecatch slug or similar in 30 grams will do the job and a lot less likely to become snagged than the coltsnipper worked close to the bottom. Using these type of slow flutter jigs from shore could easily see them get snagged and you losing the jig. A graphite/carbon rod is bests for these type of lures and are hard to use form the shore but it can be done. It is hard for us to give advice when you are cutting over many different techniques for the fish. The rod in the link is not really suited to what you intend to use it for. A longer 7ft 6-8kg rod would be more suitable or longer if you intend to just cast it out. 

If wanted to catch a snapper from land I would research everything I could of where they are most likely to be found in my area. Fish the peak periods dawn and dusk on tide changes and cast out with a surf rod with a running sinker with a bait 150-200mm long like a sand whiting or similar.  I saw snapper caught off the Mornington pier in Victoria this way in a big westerly or early mornings. 

The best advise will come from a reputable tackle shop once you have settled on exactly what you want to do. Drone fishing or estuary fishing/general fishing because no set up does everything well.

8 hours ago, Milpool said:

It kinda sounds like you're trying to turn fishing into a computer game and I think you'll lose interest pretty quick if it isn't working, there's not really an 'aquire this, this and this and you catch this' play book. 

For the drone drop unless you plan to forever be dropping, then reeling in then dropping again (which sounds like more time setting up than with a line in the water) I think you'd be best off with bait.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Wellllllll its not really always that way but it can be. Its more that you know what sort of fish are in that area and fish accordingly. 

Bigger baits will often get bigger fish but there is no point putting on a whole mullet over a 2 foot deep yabby bank not would you want to put a #8 whiting hook on 4lb line with a small ball sinker in 50m of water. 

Hmmm

so the rod I found is not the one in the link I posted, its actually 8 feet tall and has capacity to handle 6 kg weight. This is the one I have, i think this is more recent one with 10Kg capacity, the one I have is 6 kg and  190m spool capacity

image.png.6a6204d3ae8d5f643cd298dc685630a0.png

I get you guys, I might be doing a computer game stuff here... duhh

@Luvit I get your point, how much of Mono should I put over the braid?

I did buy the lure but that's not the main purpose, I bought it because it was cheaper online in case I plan to use it.

@Milpool

Although, I will be using a bait for catching the fish. I won't go 500m for sure, will probably start around 200-300 m and see how it works out.

I just wanted to get the best stuff I can once and then keep experimenting, unfortunately, the jetty I have nearby does not have any fish! only crabs....

The local bait shop and other shops are selling stuff very expensive and getting it cheap online made me buy it all in one go.. lol

all I am missing is an Ugly stick... 

I really appreciate all you guys giving me advice, I just started fishing and it feels good to have someone guide me.....

thank you all!

The spool on the reel has information on how much mono or braid it can hold. Based on what braid length you have bought then workout the difference and that's how much mono you will need. Join the braid the mono via one of the knots already mentioned. Mono is fairly cheap, 300 meter spool of mono and fill the spool.

2 hours ago, Luvit said:

The spool on the reel has information on how much mono or braid it can hold. Based on what braid length you have bought then workout the difference and that's how much mono you will need. Join the braid the mono via one of the knots already mentioned. Mono is fairly cheap, 300 meter spool of mono and fill the spool.

I was informed that 950 ssm can hold this much 

Braid

50/700, 65/575, 80/500

Mono 

25/450, 30/340, 40/290

500 m of braid and 300 m of mono?

am I right?

16 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

I was informed that 950 ssm can hold this much 

Braid

50/700, 65/575, 80/500

Mono 

25/450, 30/340, 40/290

500 m of braid and 300 m of mono?

am I right?

No, The 500m of braid is for 80lb line (same for the other numbers 65lb for 575m etc)  you bought 30lb so as an estimate it would hold 800 + meters of 30lb braid. If you bought a 300m spool of braid it will fill it the reel about a 1/3 of the spool.

If it holds 340 meters of 30lb mono then the remaining 2/3 of the spool will require 230m of mono to fill.

Therefore a 300m of mono will allow for the rough calculations give or take. 

In total you will have a reel capacity of 530m of braid and mono. Or fill it all with braid and have 800+ meters.

27 minutes ago, Luvit said:

No, The 500m of braid is for 80lb line (same for the other numbers 65lb for 575m etc)  you bought 30lb so as an estimate it would hold 800 + meters of 30lb braid. If you bought a 300m spool of braid it will fill it the reel about a 1/3 of the spool.

If it holds 340 meters of 30lb mono then the remaining 2/3 of the spool will require 230m of mono to fill.

Therefore a 300m of mono will allow for the rough calculations give or take. 

In total you will have a reel capacity of 530m of braid and mono. Or fill it all with braid and have 800+ meters.

Maths

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Maths

4 hours ago, Luvit said:

I didn't want to work it out, which is why I originally said get a 300m spool of mono 😂

So, finally I received my reel and the line.

Now,  if I put the 30 lb braid 1st and then the  180 m 12lb mono, will that help or should I just use braid itself? I would have to order mono again.... can't I use braid only?

You wanted 30lb breaking strain line, so there is no point putting 12lb on, you want at least 30lb mono.  If you do want 12lb mono it will be approximately half the diameter of the 30lb so you would need to put twice as much on.

You can use braid only but you will need 800+ to fill it and that's expensive.

3 minutes ago, Luvit said:

You wanted 30lb breaking strain line, so there is no point putting 12lb on, you want at least 30lb mono.  If you do want 12lb mono it will be approximately half the diameter of the 30lb so you would need to put twice as much on.

You can use braid only but you will need 800+ to fill it and that's expensive.

dang, and all I wanted was to eat fish....

I will use this 500 m braid for the time being, I will run out of money... lol

Appreciate you guys helping me out. Fishing is my favorite hobby now

Btw, this reel is huge!!!

8 minutes ago, Luvit said:

If you have 500m of 30lb braid then you may well only require 150m of 30lb mono to fill it, but you can get a 300 meter spool of quality mono for less than $20 and not be short.

could you please recommend any..

and do you guys have any tips on how to spook the reel? I saw youtube videos though

Just google mono line recommendations and pick one.  Maxima, Platypus etc are all good.

Put a wooden spoon or similar through the spool centre. Have some body hold the spoon with a rag on either side of the spool applying a little pressure so the line is reeling onto your reel tightly. When you start reeling the line spool will become warm in their hands as they apply the pressure. Just have them adjust the pressure so you feel comfortable that the line it going on firmly.

It's a lot of line so it will take some time and a few breaks to it.

Or could go to the local tackle shop and offer to pay them to do it for you. Most of them do it for free if you buy the line from them.

Btw, this reel is huge!!!

Yes and heavy but you need big gear if you want to hold that amount of line. Personally I would buy the cheapest 30lb line I could find and put this on first. The idea is that when you have all the braid on it fills up the spool making casting better. 

You said earlier that 

Now,  if I put the 30 lb braid 1st and then the  180 m 12lb mono

No mate other way around. The mono is "backing" you put this on first to fill up the spool for casting and a little insurance in case a monster really stretches you. Mono First then tie a good knot to the braid then put on all the braid then you put a leader on. 

Backing first, then main line (Braid), then leader last then your rig (sinker swivel hook)

and finally you go fishing. Hurry up already!!!!! haha we are all excited to see how you go. 

1 minute ago, Drop Bear said:

Yes and heavy but you need big gear if you want to hold that amount of line. Personally I would buy the cheapest 30lb line I could find and put this on first. The idea is that when you have all the braid on it fills up the spool making casting better. 

You said earlier that 

No mate other way around. The mono is "backing" you put this on first to fill up the spool for casting and a little insurance in case a monster really stretches you. Mono First then tie a good knot to the braid then put on all the braid then you put a leader on. 

Backing first, then main line (Braid), then leader last then your rig (sinker swivel hook)

and finally you go fishing. Hurry up already!!!!! haha we are all excited to see how you go. 

I think we are confusing him Dropbear, because I suggested to have the braid underneath and the mono on top. Basically just using it for line capacity for the drone. 

Reason being I think braid is to dangerous for a beginner, cheaper to replace after many snags and more forgiving while learning how to play/angle a fish, easier to tie knots in. There is a very good chance he will come across large sting rays and if one of them taking line at speed with braid things can go wrong. I have a Tilca reel that the braid was a loose on when I placed it in the rod holder and fishing another rod. However a lapse in concentration while trying to use 2 rods, I did not notice the braid had over run a little and was caught under the handle knob. A Spanish mackerel took the bait and the braid cut through the rubber handle knob like butter. Hate to think what it would have done to someones hand or finger in the same situation.

Just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Luvit said:

I think we are confusing him Dropbear, because I suggested to have the braid underneath and the mono on top. Basically just using it for line capacity for the drone. 

Reason being I think braid is to dangerous for a beginner, cheaper to replace after many snags and more forgiving while learning how to play/angle a fish, easier to tie knots in. There is a very good chance he will come across large sting rays and if one of them taking line at speed with braid things can go wrong. I have a Tilca reel that the braid was a loose on when I placed it in the rod holder and fishing another rod. However a lapse in concentration while trying to use 2 rods, I did not notice the braid had over run a little and was caught under the handle knob. A Spanish mackerel took the bait and the braid cut through the rubber handle knob like butter. Hate to think what it would have done to someones hand or finger in the same situation.

Just my personal opinion.

Fair call mate. Braid is the perfect thing to get badges off a car. I use it when I do my Ninja take downs... one of those statements may be true. 

It's very common, braid injuries. Specially while snagged or tangled. Lapse in concentration with braid round your fingers and a fish takes off. I soley use my bolards now when playing with braid snags or tangles. Tie it off on a bolard and then untangle. For a snag, I let the boats motion do the work once tied off. Otherwise use your reef pick rebender, wrap line round that and tug! 

Archived