Out There Fishing Charter 18th November 2007

Angus

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

polyphonic wrote:

Sorry to hear about the bad day guys.

Still being in the water is often the bonus.

The next time you are looking for a charter try bk fishing, they are based on the gold coast.

I have used then twice and have always got more than a feed and found them very helpfull.

http://www.bksfishing.com.au/

I'll agree BKS was excellent, I went with them in August. We caught tons of fish including two large Mack Tuna and a 4ft+ Cobia. Bob and his daughter Becky the Decky were excellent hosts. Only fault was that they weren't keen on preparing fish beyond gutting and bleeding them.

Lozzel wrote:

Well what can I say Guys, I'M SORRY, I WONT DO IT AGAIN. :angry:

Bad luck about the trip and what happened after in the car park. Wheres BOOTY when ya need him.

Whoever took the \"Yellow Bent Things\" should be keel hauled. :laugh:

You have nothing to be sorry about Loz:kiss:

You did a great job, Not your falt the deckie and skipper got on the turps the night before our charter. I'm sure thats why it was less than what it should have been.:huh:

Jayson

I can also back up BK charters. I've been on there once and we caught heaps of Tailor and some Snapper which was awesome for us when we weren't that great at fishing.

OK, don't laugh at my crappy drawing skills:laugh: but I went on their charter in like grade 3 or something and I caught a good sized Snapper (for me back then) but the guys forgot to get a photo of it. So they sent us an email and asked me to draw a pic of it. If you scroll down on this link to the kids section, you will be able to see my hand drawn picture of me with my snapper:laugh: http://www.bksfishing.com.au/archives.htm

I would highly reccomend them.

Ok, first of all sorry for bringing the banana's guys..really :laugh:

My thoughts...

Worse charter I've been on unfortunately.

If you didnt take your own gear the supplied stuff was absolute garbage...I tried 4 rods before I found one half decent enough to use...reels wobbling in their seats, rod tip eyelets missing, poorly maintened drags, rusty blunt hooks, pisspoor traces..the list goes on.

A skipper who obviously doesnt know how much line is spoooled on his own reels....pretty pointless fishing in water 2 miles deep with a hundred meters to play with.:angry:

And if that wasn't enough..all the sinkers were flat out holding bottom with so much run in the area's we could fish..

No drinking water..

The BBQ looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a month..nothing like a a bit of cast iron with your snags..

The rod storage locker...or was that a toilet???...lol

Having said all that it was great to get out and meet some new faces, and I appreciate all Gregs Lozzel's hard work with the organising.

Btw...I can also vouch for Bk's.

The Captain and his great deckie daughter go out of their way to catch a feed..they really know their stuff.

Till next time...

Joe

BKs was the orignal choice for a charter, way back before \"Noosa\". It was side lined so more members could go, Hence \"Noosa Charters\" was the go with 2 boats.

After Noosa ,it was suggested that we try for 1 boat that could carry about 20+ people. The only boat available (that I could find down here) was \"Outthere Charters\".

So I would go with \"BK's\"and only take a small number of members.

Laurie

im sure there is enuff people on afo with boats that can go offshore that would be more then happy to take a group out?

we have 5 boats going out next weekend.

i passed out there charters on the 20 fathom mark yesterday, we waved to them and not 1 of them waved back so they wernt happy either! my mate was laughing his ass off because they were using alvey reels, lol

well what can i say that has to have been one of the oddest charters ive been on im pretty much used to not catching fish on charters but for once i did a shame to see few others managing to do so next time round if the boat takes 10 maybe we go with 6 to gets some room as its allways a contetious problem id like to thank lozzel for picking it booty for his organising chubbstar for his driving lee for his fighting and everyone for there company which as allways is second to none i had a ball i wish i could give out the karma thats due and iwill even if it takes me a fortnight i hope the \"so called security gets the sack at least they shopuld go up on criminal charges for what they did the skipper needs a slap with a wake up fish no gps what a friggin joke the no dekie i think is one of those things but we dealt with that fine thanks to jeff and shortie for cooking a great job done in trying circumstances the lack of \"available water is downright disgusting\" the lack of bait rod and jigs is another amature oversight the skippers lack of at least saying wind em up lads made me want to drown the farker no excuse for rudeness but all in all the most memorable charter ive been on yet funny the way you forget the ones where its all boring and you catch a few fish :laugh:

Well what a piece of crap that was. One more wasted day in what is otherwise a far too busy life. If it wasn't for the company of friends I would have jumped overboard, swam home and mowed the lawn for some entertainment and something constructive to do.

We (AFO) did everything right to make this a successful and fulfilling day only to be let down by a drunken miserable charter boat captain. I would say his deckie didn't show up because he was sick of being embarrassed by the total lack of professionalism employed by his skipper.

Booty, great job in organizing things, this has no reflection on your efforts whatsoever and Loz you picked the right boat, she was a ripper. Thanks guys.

I first knew we were in trouble when I walked into the wheelhouse to discover that the skipper had sleep there overnight with a cask of wine for company and he couldn’t even be bothered to roll up his temporary bed or make any effort to clean up his filthy living quarters which was open for public viewing. I was embarrassed to see it and I don’t understand why he was not.

I did manage to land 2 pike for live bait on my own herring jig which I happened to carry with me at all times. Just as well as the charter boat had the worst supply of fishing tackle I have ever seen.

chubbstar wrote:

:woohoo: THIS HAPPEND AFTER THE CHARTER, IN THE CAR PARK!!:angry: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Fishing_charter_029_AFO.jpg

BTW did anyone see exactly who did what to my car? Did a security guard bash someone into it or what happened? I would be gratefull for any assistance.

Please leave a comment or email me at bdbooks@msn.com if you have anything that would help me to tag the right person. This is just another piece of crap I have to deal with, I am so sick of being the innocent party and being left with the problems.

Lee, my respect for you went up a few notches yesterday. To step in like you did is a trait that has long been dismissed as a “don’t go there’ zone, very honorable. On review of my memory I did see some little bald island appearance guy hit some big guy a couple of times from behind but I can’t tell if it was you or not, too far away for my old eyes. But if it was, he is a coward as you were not even looking and you had your back to him.

Bud, same for you mate, to step up and say to the coppers that you saw everything is again something that is not practiced enough these days.

In my view the AFO members are the only people who came out of the day with any integrity so well done. The skipper is a punk, the security guards are thugs, the police are under resourced so not of any assistance and the management of Fishos were invisible. The deckie was the only smart one, he didn't show up.

Ok my turn now.

Luckily the great company of AFO members made up for a day that sucked. We could of caught more fish in the local public swimming pool and had some better scenery to look at a well.

Points that annoyed me in order 1 being the worst.

1. Lack of cold drinking water

(There is no excuse for this)

2. A softdrink vending machine. And only after asking the Skipper did he volunteer the money to feed it with.

3. The vending machine 1/4 stock so it ran out of drinks quickly.

4. No GPS

A coutersy phone call the day beore from the skipper informing us that his GPS wasnt working and giving us the choice of cancelling. Its not like it stopped working whilst we were onboard as that could of been forgiven. Also autopiolot not working because its connected to GPS. When the skipper did leave the helm to help out on the deck it was briefly as the boat wanted to go around in circles.

5. No deckie

I really cant blame the skipper for this is i know how unreliable staff can be. Although dont most charters especially ones catering for 22 fishermen have 2 deckies.

6. Not being able to anchor.

Yes this would of been a lot of work without a deckie.

7. Leaving the dock late without any real safety induction that i think by law is required.

8. THe boat not being ready for us to board.

Gear not out properly. Live well and bait not ready. Or prepared. Luckily we had jeff.

9. Breakfast/lunch BBQ.

Nothing ready or prepared for these meals. Even without a deckie it should of just been a matter of getting it out of a fridge. I can understand that without a deckie i was a bit hard to cook and drive the boat at the same time. So we didnt particularily mind cooking the BBQ ourselves.

10. The condition of the fishing gear onbaord.

This didnt really bother me as i brought my own. But Skipper if you read this having 100m of line on a real isnt much good when when your fishing 100 m of water with a strong current and wind. There is no hope getting to the bottom.

Thaks again guys, without your company i think i would of had words to the skipper.

Lozzel, Booty great job organising. Jeff if i ever need a deckie i know where to find ya.

I could of spend $125 in fuel in my boat. Used my GPS and still caught no fish.

$125 for the charter. Company of Great AFO Memebers Priceless.

Richard.

bootyinblue wrote:

Keep the constructive comments coming. I will draft up a email to Dennis Healy raising concerns, cutting and pasting comments, inviting him to view the entire thread and then see what he gives in reply.

Would be interesting to hear his thoughts booty..I think the problem with a lot of these guys is they don't give a flying **** what people think as long as their books are full...there's no shortage of tourists lining the pockets of these guys.

You'd like to think Dennis would have been keen to go the extra mile to impress a local fishing club with good net exposure...pretty dumb if you ask me.

Oh.. did anyone else notice the expired rego label on the boat (or is that just being me?)

Why doesn't that surprise me..considering how many other laws he probably breached.

Here's an idea...why not have a charter review section? We could probably do one every 2 months or so and get each member to rate it...and let the charter company know about it beforehand..

The day was dissapointing and the young fella (his first charter) went home knowing that my wife would call us lousy fisherman. What made it worse is that we went to the Southport bridge for a quick fish afterwards and saw another charter boat arrive at the jetty. The guys on this boat were loaded with fish and while they were dividing all the fish up there were photos and hand shakes all round.:S :S :S

How quick things change...The mood at the start of that day was full of high hopes, expectation, anticipation and good humour.

There were smiles all round and even kisses being blown:woohoo:

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cooks and the new deckie

5.jpg

8.jpg

Members talking it up and building friendships

6.jpg

7.jpg

Then people pondering things :P and sending signals:angry:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Sorry to here of your trip not being to good , but that is why I stoped useing charters & got my own boat . And I'am with rumrunner get our own boats together for a meet & greet & do some fishing.Trouble is every weekend till xmass is booked up except the 16th I think.

AZZA wrote:

Sorry to here of your trip not being to good , but that is why I stoped useing charters & got my own boat . And I'am with rumrunner get our own boats together for a meet & greet & do some fishing.Trouble is every weekend till xmass is booked up except the 16th I think.

Yeah good call.

My favourite trips so far have been the Pin Trip, Somerset Dam trip and Wello trip which have all been just BYo boat days :)

Angus

I have just read this story on the Gold Coast bulletin website. I don't know if this is the correct link but I pasted it from the address bar

/>http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/11/19/5027_gold-coast-news.html

It takes me back more than 20 years when it was actually called Fishermans Wharf and it hasn't changed all that much.

I avoid the Gold Coast. Every time I go there I either get harassed or see someone get beaten or drunks being drunken idiots or bogans doing burnouts in their $2000 Chommadores.

Worst place to go. Sunny coast or Northern NSW is way way way better.

Has anyone gone on Mono's sportfishing tours? I was looking at his boat today. It's really nice and he's rated as one of the best guides around. He operates out of Brunswick Heads.

Dan23 wrote:

I avoid the Gold Coast. Every time I go there I either get harassed or see someone get beaten or drunks being drunken idiots or bogans doing burnouts in their $2000 Chommadores.

Worst place to go. Sunny coast or Northern NSW is way way way better.

Has anyone gone on Mono's sportfishing tours? I was looking at his boat today. It's really nice and he's rated as one of the best guides around. He operates out of Brunswick Heads.

Dan i have not been on one, but i eye off his charter boat everytime im fishing the harbour at Brunswick Heads. Or should i say drooling over the fish he has in his brochures :)

Currently on a bit of a fact finding mission. Have sent emails away to the following. Maritime Safety Queensland, Dept Fair Trading Queensland and Charter Boat Association of Queensland (of which OutThere is not a member)

Will wait for informaion to come back, but will begin drafting a letter tonight.

I think its prudent that any subsequent action post this charter is not associated with AFO, so I think that no correspondence to or from these organisitions should be posted on here.

Please PM me with an email address and I will quite happily forward a draft on for comments and alterations prior to sending.

Archived