Any Tips On Catching Longtail Tuna?

allblacks

Hi guys I'm new to this site. I have a 4.3m allycraft with a 50hp on the back. I've been fishing the northern bay for the last 4 months with great success. Plenty of big kingfish, jewfish,snapper,spanish mackerel, and managed a 30kg cobia last week. One fish I haven't managed to figure out yet is the longtail tuna. I've tried casting numerous softbaits,stickbaits, metals in all sizes but haven't managed a bite. Can anyone share any tips with me on how to catch these timid fish? I'm thinking they may be feeding on very small baitfish and that's why I'm not getting any bites..I may need to wait to a different time of year when they start feeding on bigger baitfish.

20180731_122026.jpg

Screenshot_20180818-081020_Facebook.jpg

20181019_122336.jpg

Thanks drop bear. Great thread. I've tried all of those methods with no luck. Maybe I just need to persevere.

As for the Kingis and Cobia mate. I set 4 rods out with a variety of livebaits out. Yakkas,slimys,herring,pike, and garfish. Fish 50lb braid and 100lb leader. Fish any lighter and you will get smoked. I lost my first 10 fish because of that. The kingis are experts on getting you to the wreck or reef.

Tides are the key. I like 1hour before and after the tide. Slack tide has been very successful for me. Can't decide whether I like high or low tide the best yet. Catch them on both. Anytime of day. Prefer days that are close to the new moon.

As for location I have spots from tangalooma up to comboyuro point. Patience is important. Some days I may only get 1 shot at the school after fishing the whole day. But have had multiple quadruple,  triple,and double strikes..

Hope these tips help.

You have got the bay sussed already, Trophy fish.👏

If you're on FB search Longtail tuna fishing queensland, it has lots of information. Search for  post around this time of the year.

It was started by a old memeber user name samsteele115. He and I used to fish together a lot chasing LT's in Northern Moreton Bay.

There are just some days where the bait is to small to imitate unless you are using a fly.

But also if they are on small stuff and you can not match the hatch, we have thrown the polar opposite and had hits with large surface stick baits and poppers.

Just keep mixing it up till something works.

We had our most success with Soft Plastics.

Cheers luvit. I'll hit that FB link up for sure. I have been using zerek 115g sinking stick baits. Numerous 4-5 inch softbaits on a 1/2 ,5/8 jigheads. Damiki metals. I might go down to bcf and pick me up a popper for something different. I will definitely be putting in the hours to get one of them over the next few months. Thanks for the help..

Don't be afraid to go in Sp size. I've had the same frustration on many occasions and keep down sizing till you get a hit.

Typically I start with a 3/8 or 1/2 jig head rigged with a 4.75" jerk shad, If that doesn't work down to a 3.75" jerk shad, then down to a 2 and half inch on a 1/4 jig head.

Of course the smaller you go the closer you have to get but that all apart of it.

This is what I did this day to get a hit.

280667199_GreedyGuts.thumb.jpg.63653926ebe63793950e760ef4fdd233.jpg

1548819568_HatchMAtch.thumb.jpg.07e98dada238aa73dd7f884aec02fa14.jpg

Cracking kings and cobia there mate and thanks for sharing a few tips. Good luck on the hunt for longies - I've only ever caught one and that was on a pillie on ganged hooks (after the school had gone down) so you never know, as the others said just keep changing it up until something works 🙂 

19 hours ago, allblacks said:

Thanks drop bear. Great thread. I've tried all of those methods with no luck. Maybe I just need to persevere.

As for the Kingis and Cobia mate. I set 4 rods out with a variety of livebaits out. Yakkas,slimys,herring,pike, and garfish. Fish 50lb braid and 100lb leader. Fish any lighter and you will get smoked. I lost my first 10 fish because of that. The kingis are experts on getting you to the wreck or reef.

Tides are the key. I like 1hour before and after the tide. Slack tide has been very successful for me. Can't decide whether I like high or low tide the best yet. Catch them on both. Anytime of day. Prefer days that are close to the new moon.

As for location I have spots from tangalooma up to comboyuro point. Patience is important. Some days I may only get 1 shot at the school after fishing the whole day. But have had multiple quadruple,  triple,and double strikes..

Hope these tips help.

Awesome tip thanks mate. 

Archived