Crabbing - What Am I Doing Wrong? Scarborough Qld

jammin

I have been crabbing every day in Scarborough. Off the jetty you can go out to the mangroves. I don't know what the area is called but you go under the main bridge connecting Scarborugh to Brissie.

Anyway, we've dropped 6 pots 3 days in a row and literally caught nothing. We caught an eel, some toadies, two crabs that we had to throw back and we use to pull a few decent size crabs per pot. Our pots haven't changed, our bait is the same, but we are getting nothing. 

Is crabbing seasonal? Are areas suddenly been totally fished out? It's only a difference of a few months though since we last went out. 

Any tips? 

hey mate.

not sure if you are targetting sandies or muddies?

crabs are fickle at the best of times.  they aren't so much seasonal, they are just more active at certain times of the year than others, on certain moon phases, on certain tide phases.  They are also very affected by water quality, rain and turbidity have a huge affect.  they are also subject to huge amounts of fishing pressure.

I'd suggest trying different baits, try changing the location, different tide phases etc.

also - just on an aside - the fisheries officers have been quite active around recliffe and sandgate in the past couple of weeks.  just a reminder to ensure your pots are fully compliant with current legislation to avoid any issues. 👍

Look forward to reading a report - successful or not - about your next trip.

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2018 at 10:30 AM, jammin said:

Thanks so much Benno. 

We are chasing muddies. Much sweeter! We might try Deep Water Bend. 

Ohh thanks on the fisheries officer tip. Might better label our floats. 

Yeah looking forward to better catch next time 

Good advice from Benno. Just come back the next week and have a ping. 

The best spots can be shut down some times. 

Archived