Been Quite

Luvit

I haven't been on as much lately with life stuff. So while I can't go fishing I spend time improving the boat for the new year.

I decided to re-instate the pin stripping on the hull so it looks more like the original. Installed it  myself, not a professional finish but good enough for me ATM.

IMG_5950.thumb.JPG.b6f02e4e9da3c008e31eaaa9729b8a67.JPG

IMG_5952.thumb.JPG.e0a7e78bbba00ed3a5909f3dbf7be6c6.JPG

IMG_5951.thumb.jpg.cc0ef4b66625c3b828a8a12ed27804ce.jpgIMG_5954.thumb.JPG.52c2e07b31dffd183ad3b4ec50c785f1.JPG

In the new year I'm having the anti-foul redone just for looks. 

Although its a tool for my hobby, I take pride in keeping in as good as condition as it can be.

Don't expect to be able to afford another boat like this so I have it for a long time.

No mate, 

It will be sanded back in areas and primed where required. Lifted from the water and two coats of antifoul rollered on. 

I thought of doing it myself but with the all the trailer rollers, working through the trailer while laying on the stones it was not going to do my current shoulder injury any good. This way it will be lifted on to a stand and done properly. 

Yeah l hear ya. 

The cost of blasting and repainting when l looked was about 5k. 

Just don’t have that coin and I’ll probably never get my money back. 

This anti foul should last me 3 years and will cost 1k. 

I’ll never get my money back after the trailer repairs so l’ll just enjoy it for as long as l can. 

There’s a nice Grady like yours around the corner from my place.  

I noticed The guy bit by bit was removing the antifoul, it took awhile but looks factory again......at least from the street as I’m driving by!

mustve been a tough job that’s for sure. 

That boat is immaculate, and a testament to you Wayne. If you were ever to sell it, the new owner would be a very lucky person as I don't think you'd find that has been that well maintained.

I did a detail and new pinstriping on my boat a few years back, an "okay" job. I want to do again sometime, this time better. At this stage though, finding the time just to even fish is hard.

2 hours ago, MarkA said:

There’s a nice Grady like yours around the corner from my place.  

I noticed The guy bit by bit was removing the antifoul, it took awhile but looks factory again......at least from the street as I’m driving by!

mustve been a tough job that’s for sure. 

From what I’ve read it’s not a nice job and the antifoul is dangerous stuff to breath in so should be wet sanded. 

I swore that one l had boat with antifoul l would not have one again. Unfortunately the model of boat that l liked had it so l bought it. Looking back l would wait and get without it in the future. I didn’t stop me selling the other one l had easy. 

1 hour ago, Tybo said:

That boat is immaculate, and a testament to you Wayne. If you were ever to sell it, the new owner would be a very lucky person as I don't think you'd find that has been that well maintained.

I did a detail and new pinstriping on my boat a few years back, an "okay" job. I want to do again sometime, this time better. At this stage though, finding the time just to even fish is hard.

Thanks Ty.

Of course l show the best pictures of it. A close up look shows it’s age in different places. It has some hair line cracks in the Gel coat which are nothing structural but detract from the overall condition. It is in far better condition than l bought it in. If l could ever afford a brand new boat of this caliber l expect 10 years down the track it would still look as good as new. 

All in good time for you, just a few more years and your new deckie will want to go all the time. 

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Looks mint mate. Fantastic stuff.

Is there a way to use a paint stripper on the anti foul?

Do you need to repaint the gel coat? 

Yes you can use a paint type stripper. From what l read. Once stripped the hull needs to sanded because it will have been roughed up for the antifoul to adhere to. So needs to be resanded smooth to then be coated with 2 pack epoxy paint.

The recommendation is to have it soda blasted. All up a lot of cost and time. Colour matching etc l guess will be a head ache. 

So just a over coat to make it look better.

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

They do white anti foul now days too. Probably wouldn't match your colour and would probably mark up a lot... oh well...

I'm happy with the black for now.

The guy who bought the last boat I had with antifoul didn't care at all about the look of it, each to their own.

Archived