Boat Maintenance

Luvit

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

I’ll do search for Julian’s post tomoz. 

Does the $15 include delivery via ‘Fastway’

😝

Reading some of the reviews some people are expecting miracles. For what it is, I’m happy with it. 

Fastway is awesome if you are not in a hurry or you don't live out the back of timbukto., lol

I told Fastway customer support that, the courier who wouldn’t answer his phone, who didn’t scan the parcel into the depot or out of the depot is not a courier. He’s just a guy that does not follow procedures and delivers stuff if and when he feels like it. He should be sacked. 

Then they rung me again to follow up a week later to see if l finally received the goods and l told the same story to the same person, who rang a week earlier. Talk about hopeless. 😄😄😄

1 minute ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. I have heard about doing boat maintenance. Now I know its true! 🙂

I must be the laziest boat owner ever... 

You can do just the basics, keep on top of trailer bearings and brakes most importantly.

Remember the fish can't see what your fishing out of.

I just enjoy getting the boat to look the best it can for my own satisfaction. 

2 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I do mine every 12 moths for sure.

Since doing that I haven't had a problem.

(Of course with the exception of earlier in the year when DJS mobile trailer repairs let me down twice which resulted in the bearing failure) 

Ok thanks. Onto it... oh How can I tell if they are Ford or Holden? 

7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok thanks. Onto it... oh How can I tell if they are Ford or Holden? 

If they a round or square axles and the dimension of the axle. The guys just down the road from you couple mate can give you all the advice you will need.

Or look up your trailer brand and specs and that shouldl tell you.

Main thing is that you use good quality grease.

I prefer to use Jap bearing but Chinese are fine if you do them yearly and use good a wheel bearing grease. Couplemate should have everything you need.

Just now, Luvit said:

If they a round or square axles and the dimension of the axle. The guys just down the road from you couple mate can give you all the advice you will need.

Or look up your trailer brand and specs and that shouldl tell you.

Main thing is that you use good quality grease.

I prefer to use Jap bearing but Chinese are fine if you do them yearly and use good a wheel bearing grease. Couplemate should have everything you need.

Ok I will drag her down there tomorrow. Thanks for the tips. I normally buy from a car mob but this will be better. I am towing up to Noosa soon so good idea to get it done now. 

15 hours ago, Luvit said:

Better to be doing them at home with all the tools and the cold drink.

Far better than spoiling a trip and sweating on the side of the road.

No doubt you will see every holiday period where the boat has not been used for sometime and their they are on the side of the road.

yes see that all the time. I has not been me yet... I did take my old tinny up to Moreton a few years back. For some reason the people we were with told us to use the internal roads. They are nice as you drive through the forest but there are deep ruts and roots everywhere. It was not on a 4wd trailer and the axle slipped several times.We had to loosen the u bolts and winch it back into place before tightening it up again, travel about 4km then doing it again.... Luckily I wasn't driving so had a few cold drinks on the way that kept the sense of humour up. 

• 6 months later...

any of the marine greases or bearing greases are fine. I have been told that if you are not sure what was in it, to make sure to clean out any old grease as some of them don't mix very well. 

I have to do mine again...

I hate it. The breaks get in the way and it sucks. I might pick a nice day, drop the boat in the water and do it down the ramp with it off so that it is easier to get to it all.