First Time Shark Fishing!

Esox_angler

Huge thanks to @Drop Bear for taking my wife and I out fishing yesterday! We had such a blast! After numerous wrong turns trying to figure out how to drive on the wrong side of the road we finally made it to Drop Bears place 40 minutes late, but once we got out on the water conditions seems great to us Canadians. Neither of us got seasick so that was also a bonus!

When we got out to the spot we threw some eel down on hooks that were 100 times bigger than anything I have ever used, and let them sit in hopes of catching a shark. We decided that my wife should get the first shot at reeling one in because every time I take her fishing she catches the biggest fish. After about 45 minutes we had our first bite! And just as predicted it turned out to be a nice one! After another 45 minutes of fighting and some seriously tired arms, my wife managed to reel in a nice bull shark! We gave it a quick measure (1.8m) and released it to grow into a bigger one for the next time we are back in Australia!

Once we returned to our spot and put our eel bait back down it didn't take long for us to get another bite! This time it was my turn! Mine was just over 1m and still put up more of a fight then most fish will in Canada. We were super excited to catch a smaller shark so we could take it home and try some fresh shark for the first time. 

To top off the day we had a bite that was an absolute zinger! All I could see was the line flying off the spool faster then I have ever seen! We were informed it was too fast to be a shark. Unfortunately it broke off and we never got to see what it was.

All in all we had an amazing time fishing with Drop Bear yesterday and it will definitely be one of the highlights of our trip here to Australia!

Thanks so much for taking us out!

Brisbane Fishing (9 of 12).jpg

Brisbane Fishing (3 of 12).jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

Great to see you and your wife had such a good time and managed to catch a couple as well. Robbie is a good host. And I see Pippy has new friend.

I am fishing tomorrow and the offer still stands if you are up for another trip.  Can’t promise it will be as exciting as your trip with @Drop Bear though.  Just drop me a pm if you are interested.

Just now, kmcrosby78 said:

Cheers - was just curious given the photo of the release with @Esox_angler's wife - thought perhaps you'd gone to one of the bay islands or Moreton 🙂 

The shark took us close to Mud Island so we got out for some pics there. I wish I had shoes on... 🙂

I made sure the shark was always under water and its gills were never out of the water even for a second. had to go really slow but the photos were worth it and the shark swam away strongly. 

15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

The shark took us close to Mud Island so we got out for some pics there. I wish I had shoes on... 🙂

I made sure the shark was always under water and its gills were never out of the water even for a second. had to go really slow but the photos were worth it and the shark swam away strongly. 

Always good to hear when these awesome creatures are taken care of. Shark fishing from a boat can make it tougher too, trying to remove a hook while leaning over the side of the boat with a angry shark is no easy feat, sometimes its just easier to get them in the boat so you can control the shark more and remove the hook faster and possibly tag them (size depending of course). In my experience, if it is a short fight, it doesn't really hurt the sharks health by having them out of the water for 1-2 minutes, better that than holding them boat side for 5+ minutes while you hack away at the hook  

well done Robbie!

6 hours ago, christophagus said:

Always good to hear when these awesome creatures are taken care of. Shark fishing from a boat can make it tougher too, trying to remove a hook while leaning over the side of the boat with a angry shark is no easy feat, sometimes its just easier to get them in the boat so you can control the shark more and remove the hook faster and possibly tag them (size depending of course). In my experience, if it is a short fight, it doesn't really hurt the sharks health by having them out of the water for 1-2 minutes, better that than holding them boat side for 5+ minutes while you hack away at the hook  

well done Robbie!

Thanks mate. Most of this info was learnt from you. Legend. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have read Logan River Bull sharking. I fish this time of year for bullies and there has been a few of you post in the forum what is the best live bait?. Well I find that while fishing with the second rod for Bream or Jewies you hook a Catfish that is around 8 inches in length is great bait. Live catties never fail me. I did catch a good bullie  on prawn last week with my Bream gear but had to ply it for some time as there was no trace and light line. Good luck

IMG_1846.jpg

Archived