Esox_angler

queensland First Time Shark Fishing!

Recommended Posts

Great to see you and your wife had such a good time and managed to catch a couple as well. Robbie is a good host. And I see Pippy has new friend.

I am fishing tomorrow and the offer still stands if you are up for another trip.  Can’t promise it will be as exciting as your trip with @Drop Bear though.  Just drop me a pm if you are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

That's sensational - well done @Drop Bear, you'll be able to start advertising your own shark fishing tours if you keep that up!!  Where (roughly) did you go?

Last port lead at mouth of river AKA last one south side.  Nothing too tricky. Used eel bought from bait tackle store in Underwood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

That's sensational - well done @Drop Bear, you'll be able to start advertising your own shark fishing tours if you keep that up!!  Where (roughly) did you go?

I don't think it really matters. There was a bait school near this one on the bottom so chose that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kmcrosby78 said:

Cheers - was just curious given the photo of the release with @Esox_angler's wife - thought perhaps you'd gone to one of the bay islands or Moreton  

The shark took us close to Mud Island so we got out for some pics there. I wish I had shoes on...

Please login or register to view this image

I made sure the shark was always under water and its gills were never out of the water even for a second. had to go really slow but the photos were worth it and the shark swam away strongly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

The shark took us close to Mud Island so we got out for some pics there. I wish I had shoes on...

Please login or register to view this image

I made sure the shark was always under water and its gills were never out of the water even for a second. had to go really slow but the photos were worth it and the shark swam away strongly. 

Always good to hear when these awesome creatures are taken care of. Shark fishing from a boat can make it tougher too, trying to remove a hook while leaning over the side of the boat with a angry shark is no easy feat, sometimes its just easier to get them in the boat so you can control the shark more and remove the hook faster and possibly tag them (size depending of course). In my experience, if it is a short fight, it doesn't really hurt the sharks health by having them out of the water for 1-2 minutes, better that than holding them boat side for 5+ minutes while you hack away at the hook  

well done Robbie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, christophagus said:

Always good to hear when these awesome creatures are taken care of. Shark fishing from a boat can make it tougher too, trying to remove a hook while leaning over the side of the boat with a angry shark is no easy feat, sometimes its just easier to get them in the boat so you can control the shark more and remove the hook faster and possibly tag them (size depending of course). In my experience, if it is a short fight, it doesn't really hurt the sharks health by having them out of the water for 1-2 minutes, better that than holding them boat side for 5+ minutes while you hack away at the hook  

well done Robbie!

Thanks mate. Most of this info was learnt from you. Legend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read Logan River Bull sharking. I fish this time of year for bullies and there has been a few of you post in the forum what is the best live bait?. Well I find that while fishing with the second rod for Bream or Jewies you hook a Catfish that is around 8 inches in length is great bait. Live catties never fail me. I did catch a good bullie  on prawn last week with my Bream gear but had to ply it for some time as there was no trace and light line. Good luck

Please login or register to view this attachment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.