Dinghy Hull Designs

swmcl

Hi all,

Can I ask whether the newer hull designs that have a strong reverse chine or almost a tri-hull design are capable for more lumpy seas off the coast ?  It seems to me the Millennial hulls of this world are best for estuary, dam or rivers but not the bar crossings and beyond.  I like their smoothness across chop, dryness and speed but worry about the offshore abilities.

Cheers,

Steve

This question is another way of saying, "Should I skip buying a more traditional hull for the newer hulls, having never owned a boat before in my life" ?   I can see that it is far easier buying a boat than selling one so I would like to not have to do the buy-sell thing too many times !!

What boats are you looking at? 

Offshore fishing.....with the right conditions you can have a 12ft V nose punt outside.

I believe it is more about learning your boats behaviors, learning the correct skippering skills and knowing how to react quickly to certain conditions. Yes a good hull will help a lot but there is no substitute for your experience. 

IMO....

Big chines, normally on deeper V hulls, def HELP with stability, water deflection, plaining and overall ride performance. 

I have a SeaAdex armour55. The hull has a 23' constant deadrise and massive reverse chines. The hull cuts water easily and the chines keep it level or reduce the roll that a 23' hull would produce all while helping the hull plain with no lift streaks on the hull at all. 

It is extremely stable at rest as well. 3 men can stand on one side and the roll factor is nothing like that of a conventional hull. 

When some hulls broach in big following seas, the armour has never come close and trust me I've been trying to get it to do it. It rides big swell like a pro surfer. I put it down to the big chines that keep the hull level at all times. Even 60kph full lock turns are level and because of the deep V there is no "sliding" of the hull. It grips in and turns hard, even throwing crew members overboard if they're not holding on...tight.  

There is however a trade off......bigger HP motor, but that's a trade off I am happy to accept with all the benifits of a deep V with big chines. 

In saying that I would test drive all hulls first. Just because my design works doesn't mean they all do. Older hulls are still very capable and maybe in some instances better than the newer ones. 

I like my stessco. It has a small reverse chine. I have had 3 of us on one side of the boat... one on the rod, one on the gaff and one with a camera and it wasn't tippy at all. The Stessco Tornado is nothing like the tri hulls but has enough to keep it stable and you can back it off in a sea and take the lumps. I'm sure there are plenty of others that are just as good its just i know this one. 

SeaAdex boats Australia. Check their Facebook page. They're active on there.

The boats are a custom built to order setup. They're located at Capalaba. 

Won't find them on boat sales because they don't run through a dealer. Won't see many second hand ones either. 

Archived