Life Jackets

shakey55

To cut a long story short, I purchased four new life jackets from the RMS (NSW) when they had their trade your old in for New about four years ago.

they now require servicing by a professional and I’m finding it very hard to find someone to service this brand (ULTRA).

I’m now thinking of replacing them altogether with a brand that I will not find hard to get serviced by a professional.

I’ve done the annual servicing but I thought I could do it for five years and I now find you can only service this brand for three years.

What auto inflatable brands are people using that you would recommend

I fish off shore and looking for at least 150N’s

suggestions or recommendations please

Hi @shakey55.  Just by coincidence I read this post at the same time as I started the annual self-service of my Marlin auto life jacket. Are you sure that you are required to get it professionally serviced or is that just a recommendation from the manufacturer. I have been doing self-service on this jacket for at least 5 years and was checked for safety gear a couple of months ago by the water police who were happy with the records that I have kept. It could be different in NSW (I am in Qld).

I don’t go offshore in my boat though, so I guess better to be safe than sorry.

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi @shakey55.  Just by coincidence I read this post at the same time as I started the annual self-service of my Marlin auto life jacket. Are you sure that you are required to get it professionally serviced or is that just a recommendation from the manufacturer. I have been doing self-service on this jacket for at least 5 years and was checked for safety gear a couple of months ago by the water police who were happy with the records that I have kept. It could be different in NSW (I am in Qld).

Nice one Old Scaley. I didn't know you could do this. Are you able to post up what the process is? 

Pretty easy @Drop Bear. Just go to the manufacturer’s website and find their self-service manual. They have instructions and a checklist to follow with a signature and date area. Just print it off and follow the bouncing ball. I also keep receipts for replacement parts like gas cylinders. I keep it all in a ziplock bag in the dry bag that has the other safety gear ( flares, v sheet, mirror, torch, first aid kit etc).

i guess the temptation might be to tick the boxes without doing the steps, but since this is a life saving device, only a fool would do that.

Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks Old Scaley

just manufacturers recommendation 

the jacket are like brand new. The cylinders are all okay by weight. No fading, no fraying everything good. 

I think I’ll do like you and self service and plead ignorant if questioned

4 hours ago, shakey55 said:

Thanks Old Scaley

just manufacturers recommendation 

the jacket are like brand new. The cylinders are all okay by weight. No fading, no fraying everything good. 

I think I’ll do like you and self service and plead ignorant if questioned

Old Scaley was saying you need to keep the paper trail to prove that it has been serviced. 

If the Co2 cylinders have any corrosion on them they need to be replaced. When you do replace them I take a photo copy of the receipt and laminated and keep it with the jackets.

I test mine every year at Christmas time and leave them inflated for 24 hrs to make sure here are no leaks before using permanent marker to date the service date.

I think if you are checked and they see the level you have gone to ensure the jackets are in good condition with proof there will be no problems. Even if the jackets are 10 years old.

As a safety factor, I have not had more than 5 people in the boat at any one time but carry 6 jackets in case of a failure.

Spot on, @Luvit. That is pretty much exactly what I do. Also if you do have any corrosion on the cylinder it is a good opportunity to put the vest on and pull the cord. That will give you a good idea about what it would feel like in the unfortunate situation where you do need to deploy it. It also tells you not to have the belt too tight because it gets even tighter when the jacket inflates and is hard to adjust when it is really tight.

Stay safe, everyone. Someone wants you to come home.

3 hours ago, Luvit said:

If the Co2 cylinders have any corrosion on them they need to be replaced. When you do replace them I take a photo copy of the receipt and laminated and keep it with the jackets.

I test mine every year at Christmas time and leave them inflated for 24 hrs to make sure here are no leaks before using permanent marker to date the service date.

I think if you are checked and they see the level you have gone to ensure the jackets are in good condition with proof there will be no problems. Even if the jackets are 10 years old.

As a safety factor, I have not had more than 5 people in the boat at any one time but carry 6 jackets in case of a failure.

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Spot on, @Luvit. That is pretty much exactly what I do. Also if you do have any corrosion on the cylinder it is a good opportunity to put the vest on and pull the cord. That will give you a good idea about what it would feel like in the unfortunate situation where you do need to deploy it. It also tells you not to have the belt too tight because it gets even tighter when the jacket inflates and is hard to adjust when it is really tight.

Stay safe, everyone. Someone wants you to come home.

Pro tips thanks guys. Very interesting. 

Thanks for all the tips and advice.  As my jackets are brand new I have decided to self service again on this occasion and look into having them checked by professionals in the winter.

one of my jackets went off in the boat so a new mechanism was called for.

FYI if you are looking for any cylinders or auto triggers I found the below to be the cheapest. 

www.decathlon.com.au

they are a massive sports store next to IKEA at Tempe/Sydenham, NSW

A7C6EBA9-59B2-4654-8ED0-FF2C314E8DF5.png

Archived