A Spotless Trip

Old Scaley

My nephew is a marine biologist currently working in Norway. He surprised his family by arriving home in time for Christmas. He is a keen fisho so I promised him a trip while he is home. He leaves tomorrow so today was the last chance and also the best day wind wise that we have had since Christmas Day. I have been keen to drag a paravane around for some spotties, but reports have been average so I thought I needed a back up plan. 

Decided to put in at Manly and troll around Hope Banks and use bait fishing at Green as the back up. Conditions were perfect early and it glassed out around 9am.

We trolled for about 2 hours with no result.  No birds working or any signs of action so we anchored off Green where we lost heaps of pillies and squish’s to undersize squire and a few very small trevally.  Called it a day around an hour into the runout.  Nothing to show for the day but still a great day on the water. I have been thinking I need to take better car3 of my gear. What do you think?

8B662F47-82E0-46C7-96D8-FAF36C137378.jpeg

75192178-C1AB-4CF7-8E3F-18B3118136D2.jpeg

There was pretty much every type of marine critter growing on it @Drop Bear. My nephew started talking in Latin when he was listing them all, but no oysters that I saw. We decided that since it was now a living organism we should send it back to the sea bed. I dragged another combo up from near Peel Island a few years ago with an Abu spinning reel on it. It was totally encrusted in barnacles and things but the reel still turned.

On 10/01/2019 at 5:11 PM, Old Scaley said:

There was pretty much every type of marine critter growing on it @Drop Bear. My nephew started talking in Latin when he was listing them all, but no oysters that I saw. We decided that since it was now a living organism we should send it back to the sea bed. I dragged another combo up from near Peel Island a few years ago with an Abu spinning reel on it. It was totally encrusted in barnacles and things but the reel still turned.

Nice. I lost one just out from the tug boats last year... it was my favourite. At least I know that it will be making some fish habitat. 

Archived