Daiwa Phantom Surf Rod

Pierce Lim

Hi,

I am new here.  Are there anyone have any information on this Daiwa Phantom Surf Rod?  So far I only manage to gather this information.  Is this rod available in Australia?  Thank you.

SIZE 450-SD 15 Feet

SIZE 480-SD 16 Feet

X45 BRAIDING X

HVF – HIGH VOLUME FIBER GRAPHITE BLANK

FUJI O-RING GUIDE

FUJI REEL SEAT SHRINK RUBBER BLANK PROTECTION PREVENTS SCRATCHING AND WEAR RING 7

CAST WT 150 – 250 g LINE 20 – 50 LB

MADE IN VIETNAM

13 hours ago, Pierce Lim said:

Hi,

I am new here.  Are there anyone have any information on this Daiwa Phantom Surf Rod?  So far I only manage to gather this information.  Is this rod available in Australia?  Thank you.

SIZE 450-SD 15 Feet

SIZE 480-SD 16 Feet

X45 BRAIDING X

HVF – HIGH VOLUME FIBER GRAPHITE BLANK

FUJI O-RING GUIDE

FUJI REEL SEAT SHRINK RUBBER BLANK PROTECTION PREVENTS SCRATCHING AND WEAR RING 7

CAST WT 150 – 250 g LINE 20 – 50 LB

MADE IN VIETNAM

16 feet would be a fair bit to handle in the surf!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a daiwa emcast sport 6000 that I generally use on it, if memory serves me right cost is about the $350 mark for this reel, as for the rod if your saying $499, that is about right, mine cost me $400 10 years ago. 

I'm sure you could find somewhere that would do some sort of deal, cash always talks, card doesn't as much.

Just remember you get what you pay for, have pulled in some nice gummies on this. I do have a 15 ft rod and another reel thats worth less and it's no where near as good, still a good combo but not quite as controllable .

Hope this helps

I only owned now one surf rod, a Banax Fujika KW BNS 4.75, cast well with heavy lead (120g-170g,depend on the current flow) but my reel is only a Banax Mighty Extreme 5000GT.  Plan to upgrade to a Penn Slammer III, but still decide a low speed ratio 4.7:1 or high speed ratio 5.3:1.

I browse many review than HS reel will get shorter life spam as constant reel in will wear out the gear more quickly that the LS reel? Also, reel in a huge fish with LS will take less effort as compare to HS reel?

• 1 month later...

I've found 14.5 ft FSU w/5 wraps and  w/7 wraps versions ( HD fishing ) and 16 ft SU w/7 wraps are great for fishing the beach , mine are all home "made" by myself  and rigged up for use with Alvey 651C5 and Alvey 700C5 side casts and I've caught a lot of fish from tailor to ubber- sized jewfish using them from the beaches, the big breakwalls and ocean rock platforms (the extra length is great for keeping the line from bellying into the surf or the barnacle and congii covered rocks.

My rods are HD and quite heavy but you get used to it, and anyway, that's what rocket launchers are fall ( lengths of PVC tubing pushed into the sand to hold the rod upright ).

Only issue I can see with using a graphite blank is don't be holding onto it if there's lightning around - you're apt to get zapped by a lightning strike.

5 hours ago, Pierce Lim said:

Unfortunately there is no rod builder here in my area, so I have to purchase the finish product.  

We also don't have much wild rain and storm here, so getting the chance of zap from lightning is very unlikely (finger cross)🤞 

Hey Pierce,

I taught myself to build rods its pretty easy. Lots of youtube videos on how to go about it. 

You don't need a motorised version and can just hand turn it. I have made dozens of rods this way. 

The problem I see with it is it normally works out a lot cheaper to purchase them pre made as the cost of guides and winch fittings blow out when you buy them as spare parts. 

Hi Bear,

I am in Brunei now, tackles here is not like in Australia where we can purchase almost anything we need for rod building.  Also, tackle stores here is only small scale so most items need to order online.  Even servicing reels I have to do my own (mostly learn from YouTube or Fishing Forum or Alan Hawk site).  

40 minutes ago, Pierce Lim said:

Hi Bear,

I am in Brunei now, tackles here is not like in Australia where we can purchase almost anything we need for rod building.  Also, tackle stores here is only small scale so most items need to order online.  Even servicing reels I have to do my own (mostly learn from YouTube or Fishing Forum or Alan Hawk site).  

Good one. Yes servicing reels... I need to do that more... 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Pierce,

I taught myself to build rods its pretty easy. Lots of youtube videos on how to go about it. 

You don't need a motorised version and can just hand turn it. I have made dozens of rods this way. 

The problem I see with it is it normally works out a lot cheaper to purchase them pre made as the cost of guides and winch fittings blow out when you buy them as spare parts. 

So did I , I started off using Rangoon Cane to make my own beach and breakwall rods  when I was about 12 y.o. I had a mate who's dad was a handy guy and he let me help him make a Rangoon Cane rod (for his son) .

My first rods lasted me until I started work and could afford a fancy fibre glass blank, my first fg rod build was a MT7144 for use with my then brand new Seascape 621 overhead (I had the LBG bug and was interested in chasing tuna and kings from the rocks with artificial lures) , eventually my old cane rod started showing its age and was converted to a long gaff ( I still use it , just needs a coat of vanish every 10 years or so to stop it from soaking up water or drying out and splitting).

I've since bullt my own

MT9144 for jewfishing (set up for Alveys) , this thing is like casting with a telegraph pole …. and it really has some stopping power !!

SU7192 for beach fishing (set up for Alveys)

FSU7165 for jewfish and snapper (set up for Alveys)

FSU5165 for jewfish and snapper (set up for Alveys)

MT5144 for gen purpose (set up for my Michell 489)

SU4144 for nigger (set up for a nigger reels or a 600A5)

building your own rod from a shop bought blank is not hard , just time consuming ( binding the runnings onto the rod takes time  ) .  Last rod I built took a weekend, mostly this was allowing the 24 hr Araldite to set (holds the BRASS winch mount and timber sandspike), and the letting the two pack epoxy that coats and protects the bindings to set (I like to apply at least 3 or 4 coats , the stuff is much better than the old school rod varnish that I used back in the 1970s) .

Getting the spacing of the runners right is a knack that's easy to pick up , you can aways strip off the bindings and relocate any runners that are in the "wrong place".

Getting the "spine" of the rod is easy , not sure if carbon fibre rod blanks and graphite blanks have a spine as I've never built a rod using these materials.

All the gear needed is available online (those little rod turners are great value, I converted mine battery operated rod turner to AC so no batteries dying in the middle of an epoxy setting period.

51 minutes ago, Pierce Lim said:

Hi Bear,

Everything you need can be bought online via Ebay. Including the rod blanks.

If shipping in , I'd be looking at buying a two piece blank for anything longer than 2m.

54 minutes ago, The fessor said:

So did I , I started off using Rangoon Cane to make my own beach and breakwall rods  when I was about 12 y.o.

That is awesome!

Do you still have any that you made? What is the process of Rangoon Cane? Is it split cane? I have made a few bamboo fishing poles but they were very rudimentary. I would love to hear more about this. 

Great that when you can build your own rod, but components ship in to Brunei are not cheap and easily accessible.  With my clumsy hand skill, I don't think I want to try (ship in all rod building items/components and later find out I am not up to the job 😅😅😅). 

Servicing reel, I still can manage with myself.  But MAJOR service, I send my reels back to Perth one or twice a year (nice when have friends who work air crew n flew to Perth often lol.........) 

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That is awesome!

Do you still have any that you made? What is the process of Rangoon Cane? Is it split cane? I have made a few bamboo fishing poles but they were very rudimentary. I would love to hear more about this. 

I simply visited Hunter Sports Supply (used to be local fishing tackle and gun place on Maitland Rd in Mayfield) , they stocked Rangoon canes about 18-20 ft long and I'd pick the best one (straightest, closest segments, no splits) and I'd simply take the really skinny piece off the end (wanted to be able to fit a tip runner) and then I'd attach the brass winch mount ( 24 hr araldite and a wood screw did the trick ) , then it was a matter of bending the cane in with the fat end in a bench vice and the a mate to pull the rod horizontally to so I could  work out where I wanted the runners so they were spaced out nicely.

No splitting the cane done.

My granddad had a split cane rod , don't know what happened to it when he died. Split cane rods were a work of art if done properly.

Only one I still have is now a 16 foot long gaff.  I've long since removed the runners and winch mount , I've landed a lot snapper,  jewfish and big trevally and flathead using it, it's even circumnavigated the coast of Australia on the roof racks of the Pajero and I've used It to land a few barramumdi and threadthin and black jewfish and mangrove jacks fishing jettys and high river banks up north using it.The locals thought I was crazy fishing with big rod and big alvey and carting around the big cane gaff , until they saw me using them and how I could stay away from the water....

6 hours ago, The fessor said:

I simply visited Hunter Sports Supply (used to be local fishing tackle and gun place on Maitland Rd in Mayfield) , they stocked Rangoon canes about 18-20 ft long and I'd pick the best one (straightest, closest segments, no splits) and I'd simply take the really skinny piece off the end (wanted to be able to fit a tip runner) and then I'd attach the brass winch mount ( 24 hr araldite and a wood screw did the trick ) , then it was a matter of bending the cane in with the fat end in a bench vice and the a mate to pull the rod horizontally to so I could  work out where I wanted the runners so they were spaced out nicely.

No splitting the cane done.

My granddad had a split cane rod , don't know what happened to it when he died. Split cane rods were a work of art if done properly.

Only one I still have is now a 16 foot long gaff.  I've long since removed the runners and winch mount , I've landed a lot snapper,  jewfish and big trevally and flathead using it, it's even circumnavigated the coast of Australia on the roof racks of the Pajero and I've used It to land a few barramumdi and threadthin and black jewfish and mangrove jacks fishing jettys and high river banks up north using it.The locals thought I was crazy fishing with big rod and big alvey and carting around the big cane gaff , until they saw me using them and how I could stay away from the water....

Nice mate. I did a lap about 10 years ago. Need to do it again. 

Archived