ellicat

Diesel Engines

New to the world of diesels.
    Do the diesel owners here have a preference for their brand of diesel ? Are any better than the others ? If your diesel had exclusively used one brand for it's 10 year life would changing it be in any way detrimental ?

I find my car gets much better economy from BP ultimate diesel or the mobil stuff from 7-11.  Caltex not too bad.  I would avoid shell diesel - my car did not enjoy the only tank of it i bought.

I don't believe a change of fuel brand will cause any issue.  If you try and change it from diesel back to your favourite unleaded this will cause a problem, regardless of the brand of unleaded you select. 

I 4by around the country and sometimes can’t be too fussy when there is little choice. My advice is to install a second fuel filter and use an additive to be safe. I haven’t  had a problem with fuel with this setup.

Cheers 

Waz

Please login or register to see this quote.

That's exactly what the previous owner did/had. However he stole the second filter to put in his Prado, the sneaky bugger. Think I'll follow this advice. Thanks.

I use BP simply because the one near me gives 8 cents a litre off if you buy 2 x waters or chocolates. I put in 100 litres min each time.

That way I buy 2 chocolates for $6 bucks an a couple of dollars off the fuel price as well.

Free chocolates in my book.😋

Here's the replacement -

Please login or register to see this attachment. Please login or register to see this attachment. Please login or register to see this image. /monthly_2019_01/20190118_164811a.jpg.65e1c9fde6653669ee171b5b789cf1d8.jpg" alt="20190118_164811a.jpg.65e1c9fde6653669ee171b5b789cf1d8.jpg" />Please login or register to see this attachment.

Are you aware of dpf issues with diesel motors that are only used for short runs. Ideally around once a fortnight you need to go for a highway run of around 100ks . Dearlers love blocked dpf as they average $1000 upwards. I never use shell they are consistently 8 to10 cents a litre more expensive. I get 10litres per 100ks towing my boat to npd with absolutely no difference between BP ( Also rip off pricing,) puma, reddog, 7/11, liberty caltex and woolworths. I normally fill at reddog at petrie who get their fuel from shell last fill was $ 1.29 per litre against $1.47 at shell at victoria point.and $1.42 at woolies at viccy point.

Hi Ellicat

I have a 2013 subaru outback diesel with 200,000 k on the clock , serviced as per handbook, only ever put caltex premium in the tank, not one problem to date

MSB

You are too nice a human being Ellicat , only good things should come your way dude, hope it all works out for you in the long run

MSB😎