Brisbane River 20/11

creature100

Hey...picked up these two this morning in the Bris River on the banks near the shipping channel...lost two others beside the boat trying to manage the net by myself..oh well...kept both fish for dinner and all were caught on gulp pumpkinseed 3 inch swimming mullet, 1/6 jighead. Seems to be a few around in the river at the moment.

Cheers

Craig

Thats what I ment by \"recreational Fisho's using bad nets\". As in they were using the knotted landing nets rather than the enviro-nets:).

I also read an article by Keith Stratford in a recent mag and he was talking about the amount of damaged Flathead that he caught during the Flathead Classic. These injuries were due to commercial netting around the 'pin. So I thought that that was also a possibility;)

Most things returned after being caught in a commercial net are usually dead...it could account for some damage but i reckon alot of this damage could also be a result of spawning activity as well as damage during feeding. Ive kept alot of large aquarium cichlids and fin damage occurs alot during spawning as well as just chasing each other around the tank. They do heal very quickly but. But yeah landing nets would also be a major factor.

i have caught lots of bream with chunks(healed) out of the top of the head..im sure this is from being ripped out of a net(cast net/trawlers net)..if ya have ever tried to get bream out of a net im sure ya will agree....but yer the environets do stop fin splitting for sure...i have one but jeez they are hard to move thru the water quick:S

Yeah I know that alot of things returned from commercial nets are dead:(

I was just repeating what I read in the article. Actually it was Keith Stratford's article (pg 28, Bush'n'Beach, November, 2007). He said that alot of the fish that he caught had a lot of net marks on them due to the fact that pros netted the area two weeks before the Flathead Classic.

But enough of this stuff:D. They're still great fish and I hope they tasted great:)

jimmybob wrote:

i have caught lots of bream with chunks(healed) out of the top of the head..im sure this is from being ripped out of a net(cast net/trawlers net)..if ya have ever tried to get bream out of a net im sure ya will agree....but yer the environets do stop fin splitting for sure...i have one but jeez they are hard to move thru the water quick:S

ive caught a few bream like that before do u mean just before the fin sorta above there gills?

Archived