Jacobs Well Last Tuesday.

jhedrick

Hey guys, 

So I finally went out to jacobs well to chase those flathead that I was after and what a successful mission. Unfortunately only have photos of the fish on the chopping board after I scaled/gutted and I barely remembered that. 

Anyway I went out in Tuesday and bought a bag of pillies but didn't really need it because as soon as we got to our spot there was livies basically jumping out of the water. Few casts with the net and got heaps of mullet and herring. 

We flicked these intowards the fallen in trees from the first picture I added. Straight away we were on and catching undersized flathead and eventually caught a 41cm. After high tide changed I decided to flick out two pink curly tail zmans for a troll. We headed towards tipplers and caught about 4 flathead which one was 46cm. After battling a few sand bars we finally made it to tipplers for a beer and then decided to head back to our original place to camp the night on the boat. 

Thank got for my GPS otherwise I would have been flying blind. We eventually got back and it was a couple of hours before high tide again. We suffered many of casualties on our live bait and went back to the pillies. I caught a 45cm bream which I threw back and then got onto a 39cm rock cod which was soon followed by a 41cm sea perch. 

Things settled for the night and we eventually hit the sack. Once we woke up at about 4am covered in bites we decided to tear up my cast net on some tree stumps. Once that mission was accomplished I pulled out a yakka Jig and oh was I successful. I probably caught about 10 yakkas and heaps of herring, pike along with a couple mullet. 

We kept trying this area for another 30 minutes and caught nothing but an old t-shirt a shell and a massive piece of drift wood. 

We then moved onto the second spot which is the second photo. 

We sat at the mouth of this little estuary and cast just behind the tree on the corner as the tide was going out and bam! Caught onto a massive dead weight which is my biggest flathead ever at 66cm. The yakkas were going nuts! 

About 5 mins later we got onto a much bigger one but it cut the line before it got to the boat. 

Happy with ourselves we decided to head back and my motor decided to fire on one cylinder again. Unsure what this issue is and not even my mechanic can figure it out. 

Anyway I used this as an excuse to head back to the car and troll with a hard body. Which was sort of successful as we got onto a little trev. 

Anyway all and all a great trip with many of bites of all kinds. I think my next target species will be threadfin salmon and I may need a bit of help with that as I have had a lot of trouble catching one. 

Sorry about the photos I should have had a ruler or something. They are on a massive chopping board. 

Screenshot_2019-01-20-12-37-40.jpg

Screenshot_2019-01-20-12-38-15.jpg

20190117_125750.jpg

20190117_132343.jpg

No prawns in the cast net but I could only let it drop a few meters where I was casting and it didn't hit the bottom until I tore it. I've got no idea what that fish is called. I looked it up on the website and it said sea perch lol. It was blue green and yellow. That's my next fish I'm cooking up. Already panko crumbed the flathead 

Great report and session there mate and great to see you get some quality flathead when targeting them!! You've already got my PB covered by 2cm 😞   If the 'sea perch' is the fish in the photo that has been scaled, I strongly suspect it is a grass emperor (see below). Teg minimum size is 30cm with a bag limit of 10. It would be a good idea to purchase a laminated card with all of the pictures and size/bag info of fish likely to be caught in SEQ and keep it on you when fishing so you know in future 🙂 .

grass-emperor.png.0d9636ec3ebb90463937f6a2d8a881ca.png

27 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great report and session there mate and great to see you get some quality flathead when targeting them!! You've already got my PB covered by 2cm 😞   If the 'sea perch' is the fish in the photo that has been scaled, I strongly suspect it is a grass emperor (see below). Teg minimum size is 30cm with a bag limit of 10. It would be a good idea to purchase a laminated card with all of the pictures and size/bag info of fish likely to be caught in SEQ and keep it on you when fishing so you know in future 🙂 .

grass-emperor.png.0d9636ec3ebb90463937f6a2d8a881ca.png

That looks similar to the fish I caught but mine had more blue in the face and a extremely yellow/green body. I have the app on my phone and all the perch were 30cm so I knew that I was over the limit. I want one of those stickers for my boat with all the fish on it but I can't find them anywhere. Do you know where I can purchase those cards from? 

Looks like a good trip.

just a note on spangled emperor which i am 99% sure the fish on the board is, they have a legal size of 45cm.  always best if you are even slightly unsure to grab a couple of good photos, release the fish, do you research at home and then know for next time.  it's not worth the hassle or the fine with fisheries over a couple of fillets.

Yeah it was good fun. I actually went out with my mate who doesn't fish and let him reel in most of it. Went to bcf to replace all the gear he lost and get one of those laminated cards. I still find it quite hard to identify a lot that looks the same due to being colour blind. I feel pretty bad about keeping a fish that's under size but I'm definitely not going to let him go to waste. 

On 21/01/2019 at 8:45 AM, benno573 said:

Looks like a good trip.

just a note on spangled emperor which i am 99% sure the fish on the board is, they have a legal size of 45cm.  always best if you are even slightly unsure to grab a couple of good photos, release the fish, do you research at home and then know for next time.  it's not worth the hassle or the fine with fisheries over a couple of fillets.

Hey @benno573, have you ever caught a spangly in the estuary there?  I thought maybe he had just caught a big stripey?

19 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey @benno573, have you ever caught a spangly in the estuary there?  I thought maybe he had just caught a big stripey?

I have caught undersized ones there yes.  annoying when you are whiting fishing, you think you have a 40cm+ one on! also have caught grassys.  Never have caught a stripie there.  The facial patterns in the fish on the board are the giveaway.

@jhedrick - being colour blind would make idenification difficult for sure in some instances.  giveaway with spangled emps vs grassys are the facial patterning.  grassys have very fine blue lines around the eye which do not extend very far, whereas the spangled emps have wider stripes the run the length of the face.  The colour contrasts here should be discernable - something a mate of mine who is also colour blind told me when I asked him about it years ago, understand each set of eyes can be different though. 

Grassys and spangled emps are also a different shape overall than the striped sea perch, they also lack the canine-like teeth of the striped sea perch.  The grassys have a different mouth shape to spangled emps as well, if you compare the photos above the spangled emps have a mouth roughly in line with the bottom of the fish, the grassys mouth sits a little higher relative to the overall body.  easy to see if you have them both side by side, not so easy if in isolation.

So my boat has been serviced and there was water in the fuel tank. I've replaced most of the gear my mate lost but haven't got a new cast net yet. 

I was planning to go out next Tuesday to the same spot but I'm thinking I might do some work on the boat and wait for some stuff I ordered to come in before jumping the gun. 

I've got a piece of allum that will support my bait board and I have one of those green underwater lights to attract fish coming in next week. Plus a pressure washer to make things easier for when I come back after taking the boat out. 

Anyway I'm thinking about going back to there or spending the night out in Moreton Bay. 

Has anyone ever slept the night out there on their boat? Any good spots to anchor up. I was thinking peel Island. 

Anyway how good are boat accessories? 😉

Hope everyone is having a good weekend because I know I'm working. 

Cheers

Jordan 

46 minutes ago, jhedrick said:

Has anyone ever slept the night out there on their boat? Any good spots to anchor up. I was thinking peel Island

Horse Shoe Bay at Peel is great in anything with a N in it. Not so good if the wind has an S in it unless you go around to Lazarets (spelling soz). 

Lots of options that way. One mile at Dunwich is great in a southerly. Amity is great in an easterly. 

Sleeping in a boat is great. Make sure you have mozzie protection and rain protection if it is going to rain. I spent a night in @benno573's boat up at Bulwah. I just took a swag. It was great until the rain got so heavy it started to pool in the swag... I had to wake up Benno who was in the cabin and we put up the covers then back to a good sleep.

There is something really peaceful sleeping on the water with the gentle rocking. Good luck when you do it mate. 

55 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I spent a night in @benno573's boat up at Bulwah. I just took a swag. It was great until the rain got so heavy it started to pool in the swag... I had to wake up Benno who was in the cabin and we put up the covers then back to a good sleep.

There is something really peaceful sleeping on the water with the gentle rocking. Good luck when you do it mate. 

I bet you two were spooning ........... :whistle: must have been a big cabin to fit you two big roosters in there ......... 😝  Oh and it's Bulwer in case you haven't heard of it Jordan.

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Did you work out why? Dodgy fuel can happen and sometimes if you leave the tank empty for ages you get condensation and it gets in that way. 

Glad to hear it is an easy fix. 

I asked the dude why and he said it happens all the time. Which sucks when you are putting in premium. Either way I could still get around with one cylinder cranking. Better than getting marine rescue out

On 26/01/2019 at 7:33 PM, Drop Bear said:

Sleeping in a boat is great. Make sure you have mozzie protection and rain protection if it is going to rain. I spent a night in @benno573's boat up at Bulwah. I just took a swag. It was great until the rain got so heavy it started to pool in the swag... I had to wake up Benno who was in the cabin and we put up the covers then back to a good sleep.

Plenty of options as far as sleeping in your boat once you get south of Peel.

If you are heading out around Jacob's well again there are literally endless options as far as nice sheltered places to sleep on board, even a few where you can get off and pitch a swag on the shore.  Mozzies can be a right pain in the you-know as soon as the sun goes down, a mosquito net will be your best friend.

As far as around Peel, Horseshoe Bay is awesome in Summer as there is normally a N-NE seabreeze in the afternoon.  if you jump on the Qld National Parks site, there are actually camping sites on the island at the western end of horseshoe bay.  Awesome flat shady spots, no facilities but the view is the BOMB. 

Other than that, in close around any island you can usually find some shelter on the downwind side.  Anything easterly and you'll be able to anchor up along the inside of straddie and be nice and calm.  Just make sure you don't anchor up in the main channels.  Be mindful of boat swing on anchor if the tide changes, i also usually set the drag alarm on the GPS or if the current is ripping set two anchors off the front just to be sure.

and +1 on @Doyley comment above.  If you don't currently have one, get one.  Drain before each trip, replace element every 12-24 months.  Water in your fuel will be a thing of the past.  Small expense relative to a tow home or worse a serious engine failure.

Archived