Marlin Madness

tugger

Got out in a mates boat on Sunday had Brock follow in my boat to go and harass some marlin. The conditions were mint and soon our 2 boats were on the reef in the early morning.

We got a hit fairly early and I was 1st up the battle went for 20 minutes before getting a 50kg black marlin boatside. After a quick couple of pictures of the fish in the water we released a healthy fish.

received_342352533025268.thumb.jpeg.eb4d994860d36546ec1463713bb625e1.jpeg

Nathan was driving his boat for the day so his dad and I could take turns on these fish. Next hit Les swung in to action and another feisty marlin was jumping and peeling line until he brought another 50kg black to the boat.

20190120_105023.thumb.jpg.b0fda6ca95d182984eb43599bdddef75.jpg

That was 2 from 2 until the next marlin hit and I fought a big model estimated at 120kg. I was hurting a bit but didn't let up on this fish he jumped plenty of times and sounded down deep as well but we worked him over with rod and boat. Just out of leader range he broke us off and glided away doh 2 from 3.

Next was a double hook up and both these marlin were over 100kg and frustrating us as they ran opposite each other and looked to spool us both so the call was made to break 1 off. Nathan made the call and his dad got the short straw as he called mine as the bigger fish with nearly 300m of line out we chased it down and after another epic battle we had another 100kg black boatside 3 from 4.

received_1987019188266091.thumb.jpeg.df5d9479d4d04977c7881887401c9208.jpeg

We passed by Brock and he had got a monster to the boat estmated at 120kg plus his PB nice going son. Then we lost another marlin spitting the hook 3 from 5 then Les wins the next fight 4 from 6.  

Another 2 were lost through bust offs 4 from 8 but I had the last say and got another good fish to the boat to finish on 5 from 9 with fish from 50kg to 120kg. We called it a day and drove over to my boat to see the young fella fight their 2nd marlin with Jacob getting his 1st marlin so Brock helped him hold it up for a photo before releasing. The young lads went 2 from 2 before we both headed for home tired but happy fishos.

20190120_160732.thumb.jpg.a94d619c65f3a921284dadffe3b9fbf5.jpg

45 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely sensational day out there Mark, well done mate!!  Have to travel far for them? Trolling lures or livies?

Thanks Kelvin it was about a half hour run offshore but it was mint conditions

8 hours ago, Luvit said:

So awesome Mark.

That’s one of the best days l have heard of first hand, brilliant. 

Did you get them all on live bait? 

Thanks Wayne arms are still sore I will be the boat driver this weekend and my deckies can fight these black marlin. Yeah live bait was the go

8 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Wowsers. Amazig. That shot of the jump is stellar. Great report mate well done!

Thanks Robbie haven't got out a lot lately so was good to stretch the arms we had fish jumping around us all morning awesome sight so many marlin out there at the moment should be good for the social down the gold coast this weekend.

On 25/01/2019 at 8:01 AM, Drop Bear said:

Thanks for the call yesterday mate. I don't know if I can make it down or not. I have a mate that has a non trailer-able boat that really wants to head out Sunday from Manly. 

How did you go today would have been a bit lumpy the big fan didn't let up 

On 28/01/2019 at 2:53 PM, Drop Bear said:

My mate pulled the pin. Probably just as well. Heading to Harvey Bay on Wednesday so hopefully will be able to catch something up there. Gonna try and put a legal spotty on as a live bait 🙂

school mackeral or bonito will work just as well. spotties taste too good! 

good luck tomorrow @tugger, hope you get onto a few.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, tugger said:

Going to head out again tomorrow for another go at these marlin my son got another with his mate on Monday in my boat so I hope the boat mojo is still there. 

Keen to hear whats going on out there.

Archived