Enclosed Waters Boating Guidelines

Dale Kerrigan

G’day fishos

planning to take my tinny out in corio bay, Victoria which is categorised as an enclosed waterway. 

need someone to put in simple terms what safety gear is required as I have done a small amount of research and figured one of you guys or girls would be able to make it much simpler.

note I don’t intend on fishing after dark

cheers 

46 minutes ago, Dale Kerrigan said:

G’day fishos

planning to take my tinny out in corio bay, Victoria which is categorised as an enclosed waterway. 

need someone to put in simple terms what safety gear is required as I have done a small amount of research and figured one of you guys or girls would be able to make it much simpler.

note I don’t intend on fishing after dark

cheers 

G'day Dale,

Cracking name. 

I am not from down that way so probably cant help with local laws but I just wanted to welcome you to the site. 

hi dale 😆

Corio Bay is a great spot. The water is clear most of the time, and it is fairly sheltered from the SW winds. For those that don't know it is part of Port Phillip Bay near Geelong. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Corio+Bay/

1350748557_Alt_PortPhillipBay1.jpg.f237dfadca708aeacda21f8f61e67e29.jpg

As you're probably aware the equipment you need on Victorian waters varies according to the type of vessel you are operating, the type of waterway you are on and the proximity to the shore.

Transport Safety Victoria would classify Corio Bay as an Enclosed (Bay and Estuaries) and so the safety gear that is required is:

• 1 x Type 1 Lifejacket (per person on board/towed)
  • 1 x Waterproof buoyant torch
  • 1 x Anchor and chain or line or both
  • 1 x Bailer (if no electric or manual bilge pumping system)
  • 1 x Bucket with lanyard (can also double as a bailer)
  • 1 x Electric or manual bilge pumping system (if vessel has covered bilge or closed underfloor compartments other than airtight void spaces)
  • 1 x Pair of oars with rowlocks or pair of paddles (if vessel is up to and including 4.8m)
  • 2 x Hand held orange smoke signals
  • 2 x Hand held red distress flares
  • 1x Lifebuoy (if vessel is more than 8m but less than 12m in length)
  • 2 x Lifebuoy (if vessel is more than 12m in length)
  • portable fire extinguisher (quantity depends on length of boat)

Hope this helps

Cheers

9 hours ago, Dale Kerrigan said:

Legends!

I’ve caught many species in corio bay, but I’m after anything that will take a plastic or any other lures. Would love a snapper on a plastic. 

Seen some massive pike about also which I wouldn’t mind tangling with for a bit of fun! 

There is an oyster restoration project down that way. The snapper have been breeding on the reef prolifically. I saw a video of a cloud of baby snapper feeding on the shellfish reef. Awesome. I will try and get a link to the video. 

Archived